Sign in with
Your question

Eliminate \'VIRUS ALERT\' message connected to clock

Last response: in Windows XP
January 2, 2010 7:30:59 PM

For some unknow reason the clock time display in the lower right hand corner of the screen has 'VIRUS ALERT!' connected to the time. How do I get rid of it. I have run several different virus screening programs (Bit Defender, Norton System Works) and all say that I have no viruses contaminating my computer?
Anonymous
January 2, 2010 7:40:22 PM

Try Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
m
l
January 2, 2010 7:40:59 PM

You have, or have had, malware on your computer (see this thread). If your current anti-virus can't detect it you're going to have to be a little more persistent. Have a look at this thread.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 3, 2010 1:16:56 AM

ijack,
Followed your suggestions down through the MBAM program and this proved successful in removing that pesky 'untrue' toolbar message. Thanks a bunch. Here is the log the program developed:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.43
Database version: 3483
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11

1/2/2010 9:59:54 PM
mbam-log-2010-01-02 (21-59-54).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 350804
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 40 minute(s), 50 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 10
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSPlugin (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\NoDispCPL (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoDrives (Hijack.Drives) -> Bad: (12) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoSetFolders (Hijack.Explorer) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoToolbarCustomize (Hijack.Explorer) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowMyComputer (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowSearch (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoStartMenuMorePrograms (Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International\sTimeFormat (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Bad: (HH:mm: VIRUS ALERT!) Good: (h:mm:ss tt) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProductId (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Bad: (VIRUS ALERT!) Good: (76487-OEM-0011903-00102) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\oldcomputer\Documents and Settings\Alan R. Baker\DESKTOP\old computer\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\JGAW400.DLL (Trojan.Hiloti) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Alan R. Baker\Application Data\TmpRecentIcons\Micro Antivirus 2009.lnk (Rogue.Link) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Hope this is helpful to you.
Alan R Baker
m
l
January 3, 2010 4:57:20 PM

Ijack said:
You have, or have had, malware on your computer (see this thread). If your current anti-virus can't detect it you're going to have to be a little more persistent. Have a look at this thread.

ijack,
By the way, when I went through your suggested moves to eliminate the 'virus alert' message on the toolbar, it not only did that but also restored my ability to access the display icon on the control panel that I had been getting administrator made unavailable messages about. Thanks for that to.
Alan R. Baker
m
l
June 19, 2010 8:09:31 PM

Ijack said:

ijack,
You were kind and able enough to help me once before. I have a new problem and wondered if you had any thoughts in regard to it.
I get 5-10 second pauses during a playback of a short video squib. Any ideas as to how I might eliminate them. Thanks in advance.
Alan R. Baker
alanrbaker@gmail.com

m
l
!