Sign in with
Your question

Voltage Settings and Lifetime

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 6, 2007 7:31:31 PM

I have googled for awhile Core 2 Duo CPU lifetimes and have had no success with findings how long a CPU would last with overclocking. I am interested in knowing the estimated lifetime of A 6400 and 6700 at a averaged overclocked voltage settings of 1.4v min on my newsystem. I have a ASUS P5W DELUXE DH and an avid gamer. How long could an 6400/6700 overclocked at 1.5v last if I max out my settings everytime i play? Thanks in advance for responses!
July 6, 2007 7:45:43 PM

It will only last less than a week if you don't have proper cooling, Unless you have water cooling, the maximum safe voltage you should use is 1.4-1.45v.

Quote:
overclocked voltage settings of 1.5v min
is way too much for air cooling to handle and it isn't good to the CPU.

Usually, upping the voltage from 1.4v to 1.5v+ will only give you less than 300mhz more speed, but increases the heat output, failure rate by many many times than stock speed and voltage.
July 6, 2007 8:04:17 PM

I have a Zalman CNPS9500. how long will my cpu last with that i know it is a very good Fan and I also have the facny shmancy thermal grease too
Related resources
July 6, 2007 8:23:59 PM

Well, what are your temps? As long as you're not getting a delta temperature of more than 25-30C and your max temps rarely exceed 65C I really wouldn't worry. 1.5 is a bit excessive though, you should be able to overclock quite high on considerably less voltage.

Basically CPU life is a total crapshoot. There are simply too many variables to account for. Most CPU's last between 5-10 years, even with a decent overclock. A lot last even longer. Your capacitors, on the MB and in the PSU, will likely die long before your CPU does, although they may kill it as they die.
a c 140 à CPUs
July 6, 2007 8:36:24 PM

don't use 1.5 unless you have too and if you do, just keep an eye on the temps.
July 6, 2007 8:38:42 PM

read the stickies in the overclocking section and follow it. Your cpu will last more than 10 years if you follow the stickies. A normal non-overclocking cpu will last 30+years.
July 6, 2007 10:00:11 PM

At sensible voltages the lifespan of a CPU is primarily a function of temperature. I believe the standard curve is an exponential reduction in lifespan with temperature. Thermal cycling is also a contributing factor in device failure.
!