genec57

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
Yesterday I received my new Seasonic M12 600-watt PSU. With great anticipation I proceeded to install. All went well until I turned on the power - Nothing - dead, dead, dead.

I started unplugging components to discover the grounding culprit - disconnected everything and still dead - reattached my old, still good, thermaltake with the same result.

Next I removed the mobo and attached the power lines outside the case. The PSU came alive, the cooler fan spun up but no boot. Same for both PSUs. Time to RMA the eVGA 680i mobo.

This morning just for grins I decided to do more tests and pluged my case fans and three hdds into the Seasonic. Fans and cooling pump came up. My two Raptors 74s were good but the Maxtor attached to the same SATA line literally smoked. Arghhhh!

Too much for coincidence. The seasonic is RMAed as well as the HDD and the mobo. I have been working on and building PCs for 16 years and have never seen or heard of a power supply doing this - especially one the quality of Seasonic. Unless this is just a bizarre chain of coincidences I have to blame the PSU.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

one_dollar

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
They can't check every psu for problems, not thoroughly anyway, so these things are bound to happen even to the best and most reputable companies' power supplies (and other hardware).

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Sorry to hear about your board and PSU.However,even good quality name brand PSU can have a case of bad power supplies.Antec,one of the leaders for PSU reliability,had a batch of psu that kept blowing up not long after they were being used.Within a few weeks I believe it was.My point being that everyone has a bad day once in awhile.Just try try again.Goodluck,I hope your system gets up and running soon.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950 GX2 560/1450
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE
3DMARK05 14644

genec57

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I now see that two of the newest reviews in Newegg of the Seasonic reported problems. I think I am going to have to try another brand. Maybe PCP&C or Corsair. Though Corsair is manufactured by Seasonic it has not had so much as one bad review in Newegg.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I always recommend PCPower and Cooling power supplies. All of the PCPower power supplies that I have bought have been refurbished units that I have bought direct from them.
I get the advantage of a power supply that has been tested and has the same warranty as new, at a price less than the normal retail price.
For me thats a double win.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
oh, look a scary fat nerd somewhere rated my post low. Coolermaster psu's are good. you can believe the nVidiot who hates the fact that the 2900 is whipping in crossfire for half the price of sli. In fact coolermaster psu's are sli rated. so i don't see ow my posts are supposedly crap when they support nVidia and are NOT rated by ati.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I now see that two of the newest reviews in Newegg of the Seasonic reported problems. I think I am going to have to try another brand. Maybe PCP&C or Corsair. Though Corsair is manufactured by Seasonic it has not had so much as one bad review in Newegg.

I got my Antec based on the fact that it was manufactured by Seasonic. I hope it lasts longer than six months. Normally Seasonic makes good PSUs, but sometimes a whole batch can come off the assembly with a higher failure rate than usual.

It was a reconditioned PSU for $59 at Fry's so I gave it a chance. So far, it's been great and I've had it for a month going virtually nonstop. The PSU in the barebones wasn't anything I would trust when I get an 8800GTS.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Like someone else said, every brand gets a bad batch every now and then, even Seasonic. For example, Corsair recently had a bad batch of XMS RAM.

Personally, I prefer Seasonic and PC Power & Cooling PSUs. Corsair's as well. Even though some Antec PSUs are made by Seasonic, Antec uses lower quality components to keep prices down.

For budget minded people, I usually recommend FSP PSUs.

BobA

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
I purchased a Seasonic M12 600 last March. It failed to start up. Nothing. I RMA'd it. Same problem. I did the short test for the fan and the fan spun, but that was it. I traded it for an Enermax Liberty but I haven't bothered installing it yet. There comes a time when one gets fed up swapping parts, so I'll just wait until my current Antec Smartpower dies.

Then we'll see if the Liberty works.

-Bob