Sign in with
Your question

Reminder big AMD price cuts on Monday

Last response: in CPUs
July 6, 2007 10:01:37 PM

If this turns out true. then building a machine with a X2-6000+ cpu might become a practical thing for those who don't care to have the latest speed demon cpu around. Yes, I think a X2 6000+ would make a good mid range computer, if the pricing is right, for that empty case that I've got sitting around.

Still wish the new Barcelona/Agena chips were out, but maybe by next year they will be readily available.
July 7, 2007 3:19:17 AM

That's roughly when I plan on finally upgrading my rig

A socket 754 sempron 3000+ to a 5600+ X2 is a pretty decent jump :D 

:D  :D  :twisted:
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 7, 2007 6:12:51 AM

From a consumer perspective, AMD is on the right track here. This kind of pricing would make me think twice about what to put in a new build.

From an investor perspective, AMD is bleeding, and bleeding bad. If AMD doesn't lower prices, it will lose market share. If AMD does lower prices, it will slow the market share loss, but will go further and further into dangerous financial territory.

The answer for AMD is to R&D a process of making competitive and cheaper to manufacture chips. This is why Intel is beating the tar out of AMD.

I don't want to sound like Baron, but this news does scare me. AMD is bleeding out and I'm actually starting to think a 2008 bankruptcy will happen unless Barcelona is the opposite of what I think. (Here's the part where I sound like Baron) A CPU market without AMD is a scary one. AMD has been the fire beneath Intel's behind. AMD has been Intel's incentive to do what it has done. The opposite is of course true as well. If AMD were a monopoly we'd all be using 90nm processors with 65nm being a joke (as is AMD's 65nm process anyway).
July 7, 2007 3:18:20 PM

You're forgiven for sounding like Baron, yet what you said is all too true. The only reason there has been so much progress made in CPUs is because of the serious competition that AMD has given Intel for the past few years. I think most of AMD's present problem is because they squandered their opportunities in the past. They did not properly look into the future and prepare a new line of chips when they should have.

Its the pricing that will probably have me ordering parts from AMD next week. Since I don't need a bleeding edge, overclocked machine, the AMD 6000+ should do fine. The bigger thoughts in mind will be; DFI or ASUS mobo or for that matter, a top end mobo or a mid range mobo, 8800 or 2900 GPU, XP or Vista?

Sure, I do care about AMD's profit margins and whether or not AMD survives the winter, but unless AMD produces some chips and graphics cards that perform well, it won't matter. The best they will be able to do is survive and go back to being a second rate company like they were years ago. The worst is leaving us with Intel only.

Its not just Barcelona, its Agena, Puma, and better video cards. They all have to be produced and sold, or it won't matter much. Oh yes, remember the video cards, because without competion from the ATI division, Nvidia won't be doing much either. We'll be stuck with bad drivers and excuses and told "Too bad".
July 7, 2007 5:39:39 PM

While I agree that AMD is on trouble when their top of the line desktop chip (minus the over-inflated price point of the FX line) is only $170.. but at the same time, almost all of their production capacity is now at 65nm, which means their die size is only 126mm^2, which lands their die size inbetween Conroe's 143mm^2 and Allendale's 111mm^2.

On a per-mm^2 basis, the X2's are still amazingly cheap - especially the X2 4000 at only $69 - but still, it isn't like back in the day when they were making 183mm^2 dies and selling an X2 3800 at $89.
July 7, 2007 8:23:02 PM

Quote:
While I agree that AMD is on trouble when their top of the line desktop chip (minus the over-inflated price point of the FX line) is only $170.. but at the same time, almost all of their production capacity is now at 65nm, which means their die size is only 126mm^2, which lands their die size inbetween Conroe's 143mm^2 and Allendale's 111mm^2.

On a per-mm^2 basis, the X2's are still amazingly cheap - especially the X2 4000 at only $69 - but still, it isn't like back in the day when they were making 183mm^2 dies and selling an X2 3800 at $89.

Intel is at 65nm and selling dirt cheap too. But the difference is that they are making money hand over fist and AMD is bleeding to death like Johnny #5 leaking battery fluid in Short Circuit 2.
July 7, 2007 11:06:05 PM

Quote:
X2 6000+ as a midrange cpu, uhm NO!

after July 22nd, um YES!
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2007 3:54:56 PM

Ok I hate this new Forum look.
July 9, 2007 3:58:17 PM

same, did you notice the new ads that come up from just browsing the forums? That's just pathetic.
July 9, 2007 3:59:44 PM

I'm new to the site, but I always hear that if it wasn't for amd, intel would still be selling us crap at high prices that might be true. But what has the little green team done since it won the performance crown. just refreashed its processor line.
a b à CPUs
July 9, 2007 4:00:55 PM

turboflame said:
same, did you notice the new ads that come up from just browsing the forums? That's just pathetic.

I'm using Firefox with Flashblock and Addblock so I've blocked them all.. but yes it's pathetic. :fou: 
July 9, 2007 4:10:54 PM

ElMoIsEviL said:
I'm using Firefox with Flashblock and Addblock so I've blocked them all.. but yes it's pathetic. :fou: 

What is HORRENDOUS about the new forum software is that it only uses a 1/3 of my screen width :cry: 

They just need to allow full width scaling then I would have no problem with it ... except the awefull colour scheme.
July 9, 2007 4:28:02 PM

xrider said:
I'm new to the site, but I always hear that if it wasn't for amd, intel would still be selling us crap at high prices that might be true. But what has the little green team done since it won the performance crown. just refreashed its processor line.
At this point they are just trying to be good enough to match or be a little better then Intel's next line. It's really AMD goal. Most of the stuff that Intel puts out, Is stuff there R&D came out with and finished testing years ago, so Intel can aways do better then AMD right now, but Intel is trying to the most amount of money it can with each technology revolution.
July 9, 2007 4:43:33 PM

Quote:

On an Enthusiast website, Yes.

The lowest-end C2Duos will easily OC past anything AMD has to offer.
AMD is better suited for Retail boxes or for folks who have no interest in doing OCs.
AMD is also a great deal for those on a very tight budget.

But since this is an enthusiast website and we will help folks build the best machine for their money, that includes teaching them how to configure their system will safe, stable, and reliable OCs. That puts the all AMD chips on the lower end of the scale for performance.

Any C2Duo chip can easily reach 3.0Ghz and often 3.4 to 3.6 if you are a serious OCer and want the max performance.

But again that does not mean an X2 can't be a wise choice for those on a budget.
With the Cheapest Chips being cheaper and the Mobos generally Cheaper, that leaves more money for a better GPU.

a c 124 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
July 9, 2007 5:27:15 PM

A cheaper X2 6000+ does give me pause for thought. My budget is not unlimited. Still, I suspect I'd be really annoyed in 6 months or so if I didn't get the C2Q (or even the e6x00), and I won't be able to justify another build for at least a couple of years.

Back to the CPU charts...
July 9, 2007 5:27:35 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
Quote:

Intel is at 65nm and selling dirt cheap too. But the difference is that they are making money hand over fist and AMD is bleeding to death like Johnny #5 leaking battery fluid in Short Circuit 2.

LOL @ the Short Circuit reference... we have a mobile tele-medicine cart here where I work that looks a lot like Johnny #5... no one gets it when we call it that.

July 9, 2007 5:32:16 PM

I guess my definition of an enthusiast is different than yours.....just because you have a high end machine and overclock etc. does not make you an enthusiast. Look up the definition.
July 9, 2007 5:54:02 PM

Just to say that i hate this new look, though the quick reply thing is great.
July 9, 2007 6:35:35 PM

6000+ should be around £85/$170, not bad for an e6600 rival. Hopefully next Intel will drop again...
July 9, 2007 6:35:48 PM

Not only is none of the options labeled (so I have to put my cursor over the icon and wait for the help bubble), but my Sig is gone!
July 9, 2007 6:35:58 PM

6000+ should be around £85/$170, not bad for an e6600 rival. Hopefully next Intel will drop again...
July 9, 2007 6:38:26 PM

goldragon_70 said:
Not only is none of the options labeled (so I have to put my cursor over the icon and wait for the help bubble), but my Sig is gone!

They're working on restoring the sigs as I type this, but they are being careful to avoid crashing the site.
July 9, 2007 6:59:29 PM

does anyone know how long Intel plans on sticking with the LGA775 platform? If I get a C2D today, and they have a twice the speed proc next year, will I be able to just drop it in? This is a major issue for me as money is very tight and I have not upgraded yet because of that. I am running a A~xp 2500 still and to upgrade anything other then the asrock dual board is a full bore upgrade coupled with a c2d is a full bore upgrade.
July 9, 2007 7:00:43 PM

I just noticed something, anyone else notice that the post count is none existent right now?
July 9, 2007 7:07:13 PM

It's still there, just not showing up, I can still find my post count in my profile.
July 9, 2007 7:16:38 PM

I think there still working on it. There is at least one area in my profile configuration that isn't showing up right, so I can edit it, and I can't edit my last post.
July 9, 2007 9:16:45 PM

More price cuts eh.Hmmmm.....Sounds like fun to me.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
ATHLON X2 5600+ @2.8(STOCK)
EVGA 7950 GX2 550/700
2X1GIG DDR2 800
TT TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
ACER 22IN WS LCD
SATA2 80/250GIG HD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
XP MCE
July 10, 2007 2:37:31 AM

Quote:

I suppose its how you look at it. The X2 6000+ is AMD's top cpu, but its about mid range compared to Intel's C2D series.

The new interface is strange looking. I can't seem to access my profile to change anything! :pfff:  Where's my sig? Oh well. Gone for a couple days and everything's changed.

July 10, 2007 2:44:04 AM

Wall Street seems to like the price cuts, judging by today's trading. Strong move by AMD - they've upped the ante. Wonder if Intel has the nards to call and raise
July 10, 2007 3:12:39 AM

Wombat2 said:
They just need to allow full width scaling then I would have no problem with it ... except the awefull colour scheme.

Maybe the new color scheme is meant to be soothing?
July 10, 2007 4:40:07 AM

The 6000 dropped to $155 US at the egg. BUT, the 4600 (65W) only went $10 US cheaper at 103. The older 89W rated has better combos (esp. memory) and $3 cheaper than the 65W. Just a quick take this side of pond.

f61
July 10, 2007 4:52:14 AM

I notice two thing right off the bat, double-underlined pop-ups, and links w/o underline. The latter needs to be fixed, but there is a user BBS workaround. Had no trouble finding profile link and fixing stuff up myself.

I think thats the idea ;) 

f61
!