Coolermaster Wave Grounding Problem

Varlic

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Hi All,

I have a problem with my Coolermaster Wave case... had the case for 3 years and it has been good. Now, it is broken. I've finally figured out that the problem is related to a bad earth or grounding in the case.

Symptom is that when the system is powered up and the on button is pressed, the power hits the system for less than a second then stops. You can see the fans twitch, then nothing.

So I replaced pretty much the whole PC... including the power switch. In the process I've upgrade significantly, so all is not lost :) After having a chat with the very helpful guys at Asus, they suggested a case grounding problem. So I took out the components and put them on a non-conducting surface... and the system powered up fine.

Question is, how do I fix a grounding problem in a Coolermaster Wave?

Hope someone can help!

Cheers!

scifiguy

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Two quick thing s to check and or do. Ensure that the green wire grounding strarp that goes to the top mounted USB/audio is attached and tightened. Secondly, Remove all the screws on the case, clean between the metal pieces, clean the screws, then reassemble. What it sounds like is that over time you got a little oxidation buildup causing you to lose contact. Also might want to look at the ground contacts on the bottom of the motherboard. That's all I can think would cause your problem for right now. Good luck. :)

HAMMRHEAD

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
I had a similar problem a while back brought on by a dremel and case steel shards after doing something pretty stupid....
Anyway, symptoms exactly like yours...I just blew the whole thing out with an electric air pump...mobo, case, psu molex connectors, everything...worked for me. Good Luck!

morerevs

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
Check your frontpanel cables for cuts and the likes. I don't know if on that case they run anywhere near sharp edges or get hinged anywhere but that might cause a short. Did you change anything before it happened or switch around cables at the back panel things like that. Did someone get mad and kick the PC :D .. Anything??