Help with purchase decision! Panasonic Plasma / LG DLP

Last response: in Home Theatre
March 11, 2005 2:19:34 AM

Hi all,

I am trying to decide between these two options:

1. Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY 42" 852x480 4000:1 Contrast Plasma
2. LG RU44SZ61 44" 1280 x 720 1500:1 Contrast DLP

Panasonic
Pros: Plasma, contrast, thin, Panasonic!!,
Cons: EDTV Not HDTV, costs a bit more

LG
Pros: Real HDTV, Bigger screen, a bit cheaper
Cons: DLP (not as good?), contrast, thicker

Opinions on what I should choose??
Thanks!
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:36:29 AM

I received my toshiba dlp 62hmx84 last week, love it, I am glad I went dlp
versus lcd, those were my choices, dlp much better blacks

with 1080p coming in the fall (at least in new dlp hd3+), edtv, in my
opinion, is already behind, but I guess if you have no plans for hdtv, just
dvd, then you would be OK with edtv

">net net >" <"> wrote in message news:TpednbPbMMX-gazfRVn-vQ@rogers.com...

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to decide between these two options:
>
> 1. Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY 42" 852x480 4000:1 Contrast Plasma
> 2. LG RU44SZ61 44" 1280 x 720 1500:1 Contrast DLP
>
> Panasonic
> Pros: Plasma, contrast, thin, Panasonic!!,
> Cons: EDTV Not HDTV, costs a bit more
>
> LG
> Pros: Real HDTV, Bigger screen, a bit cheaper
> Cons: DLP (not as good?), contrast, thicker
>
> Opinions on what I should choose??
> Thanks!
March 11, 2005 2:46:05 AM

">net net >" <"> wrote in message news:TpednbPbMMX-gazfRVn-vQ@rogers.com...

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to decide between these two options:
>
> 1. Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY 42" 852x480 4000:1 Contrast Plasma
> 2. LG RU44SZ61 44" 1280 x 720 1500:1 Contrast DLP
>
> Panasonic
> Pros: Plasma, contrast, thin, Panasonic!!,
> Cons: EDTV Not HDTV, costs a bit more
>
> LG
> Pros: Real HDTV, Bigger screen, a bit cheaper
> Cons: DLP (not as good?), contrast, thicker
>
> Opinions on what I should choose??
> Thanks!

If Panasonic, I would choose the 50" DLP.
Of course WTF do I know?
Good Luck
March 11, 2005 3:03:00 AM

>net wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to decide between these two options:
>
> 1. Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY 42" 852x480 4000:1 Contrast Plasma
> 2. LG RU44SZ61 44" 1280 x 720 1500:1 Contrast DLP
>
> Panasonic
> Pros: Plasma, contrast, thin, Panasonic!!,
> Cons: EDTV Not HDTV, costs a bit more
>
> LG
> Pros: Real HDTV, Bigger screen, a bit cheaper
> Cons: DLP (not as good?), contrast, thicker
>
> Opinions on what I should choose??
> Thanks!

You should add to the cons for the DLP: more limited viewing angle
(better than the CRT RPTVs but still nowhere as good as a plasma), color
wheel, expensive bulb to be replaced every so many years.

Panasonic Pros: more filmlike picture, long lifespan. Cons:
commercial model so no tuners nor CC, have to be careful during first
100 hour break in period to avoid burn-in (though with my 42PHD7UY, I
have seen no hint of burn-in or even image retention), you can't get
1280x720 in a 42" plasma (maybe next year?).

Don't pay that much attention to the official contrast ratios for
either set. The Panasonic ED and HD plasmas do have very good contrast,
but all of the manufacturers use unrealistic numbers, usually max
possible brightness to minimum black level. Pay more attention to the
minimum black level. The Panasonic plasmas are considered to be close to
CRTs (still the best in that regard), but I don't know which TI DLP chip
set the LG uses.

If you want to get an 42" HD plasma, it is a good bet that the price
for the 42PHD7UY will fall in several months as the list price for the
new TH-42PX50U consumer model is supposed to be $4K when it comes out in
May.

Alan F
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:33:19 AM

"Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >net wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am trying to decide between these two options:
> >
> > 1. Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY 42" 852x480 4000:1 Contrast Plasma
> > 2. LG RU44SZ61 44" 1280 x 720 1500:1 Contrast DLP
> >
> > Panasonic
> > Pros: Plasma, contrast, thin, Panasonic!!,
> > Cons: EDTV Not HDTV, costs a bit more
> >
> > LG
> > Pros: Real HDTV, Bigger screen, a bit cheaper
> > Cons: DLP (not as good?), contrast, thicker
> >
> > Opinions on what I should choose??
> > Thanks!
>
> You should add to the cons for the DLP: more limited viewing angle
> (better than the CRT RPTVs but still nowhere as good as a plasma), color
> wheel, expensive bulb to be replaced every so many years.
>
> Panasonic Pros: more filmlike picture, long lifespan. Cons:
> commercial model so no tuners nor CC, have to be careful during first
> 100 hour break in period to avoid burn-in (though with my 42PHD7UY, I
> have seen no hint of burn-in or even image retention), you can't get
> 1280x720 in a 42" plasma (maybe next year?).
>
> Don't pay that much attention to the official contrast ratios for
> either set. The Panasonic ED and HD plasmas do have very good contrast,
> but all of the manufacturers use unrealistic numbers, usually max
> possible brightness to minimum black level. Pay more attention to the
> minimum black level. The Panasonic plasmas are considered to be close to
> CRTs (still the best in that regard), but I don't know which TI DLP chip
> set the LG uses.
>
> If you want to get an 42" HD plasma, it is a good bet that the price
> for the 42PHD7UY will fall in several months as the list price for the
> new TH-42PX50U consumer model is supposed to be $4K when it comes out in
> May.
>
> Alan F

What makes you think a PDP will have a longer life span than a DLP?
Phosphors have a finite life and degrade from day 1. The DLP chip does not
degrade with use. Color wheels might wear out, but they can be replaced.
Much of the electronics in the PDP is highly integrated with the panel and
when it fails you may as well buy a new set.

Also, the Panasonic commercial line has 90 days warranty and may be harder
to get serviced if it breaks.

The reasons to buy the PDP are needing the thin design or that you like the
look of the pix. Beyond that, it is hard to make an objective case for it.
In either case, one should check out the local service options if it breaks
and know who will be doing the repairs if you need them.

Leonard
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:30:57 PM

Leonard Caillouet wrote:

> "Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Panasonic Pros: more filmlike picture, long lifespan. Cons:
>>commercial model so no tuners nor CC, have to be careful during first
>>100 hour break in period to avoid burn-in (though with my 42PHD7UY, I
>>have seen no hint of burn-in or even image retention), you can't get
>>1280x720 in a 42" plasma (maybe next year?).
>
> What makes you think a PDP will have a longer life span than a DLP?
> Phosphors have a finite life and degrade from day 1. The DLP chip does not
> degrade with use. Color wheels might wear out, but they can be replaced.
> Much of the electronics in the PDP is highly integrated with the panel and
> when it fails you may as well buy a new set.
>
> Also, the Panasonic commercial line has 90 days warranty and may be harder
> to get serviced if it breaks.
>
> The reasons to buy the PDP are needing the thin design or that you like the
> look of the pix. Beyond that, it is hard to make an objective case for it.
> In either case, one should check out the local service options if it breaks
> and know who will be doing the repairs if you need them.
>
> Leonard

Both the DLP and PDP should ideally have lifespans which will exceed the
use of the TV. Technology obsolescence as 1080p sets become common and
a lot less expensive will result in most HD TVs purchased today being
set aside as the main TV within 5-10 years. That having been said, the
rated lifespan of the Panasonic 6UY and 7UY generation plasmas is 60,000
hours to half brightness. Which is a heck of lot longer than ye old CRT
used to be (20 to 30,000 hours to half brightness was typical for CRTs
for a long time). Pioneer, IIRC, has claimed 100,000 hours for their
latest plasmas due to the use of longer lasting blue phosphors.

The DLP chip itself should last a long time. However, DLP and any RPTV
project the image through a complex set of optical lenses. Which will
get dirty at the unsealed surfaces and may slowly age with the high
intensity light projected through them. The electronics of a DLP set are
not much less integrated than that of a plasma. In general, the mostly
likely electronic component to fail in any TV is the power supply and
that is replaceable on any decently designed set.

BTW, the warranty for the commercial Panasonic was one year and it was
not that expensive to get extended repair coverage from a vendor.
Certainly cheaper than the ESP you are likely to get from a Best Buy and
their ilk as they use the ESPs as a major profit item.

Alan F
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 6:07:33 PM

> Leonard Caillouet wrote:
>
> > "Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Panasonic Pros: more filmlike picture, long lifespan. Cons:
> >>commercial model so no tuners nor CC, have to be careful during first
> >>100 hour break in period to avoid burn-in (though with my 42PHD7UY, I
> >>have seen no hint of burn-in or even image retention), you can't get
> >>1280x720 in a 42" plasma (maybe next year?).
> >
> > What makes you think a PDP will have a longer life span than a DLP?
> > Phosphors have a finite life and degrade from day 1. The DLP chip does
not
> > degrade with use. Color wheels might wear out, but they can be
replaced.
> > Much of the electronics in the PDP is highly integrated with the panel
and
> > when it fails you may as well buy a new set.
> >
> > Also, the Panasonic commercial line has 90 days warranty and may be
harder
> > to get serviced if it breaks.
> >
> > The reasons to buy the PDP are needing the thin design or that you like
the
> > look of the pix. Beyond that, it is hard to make an objective case for
it.
> > In either case, one should check out the local service options if it
breaks
> > and know who will be doing the repairs if you need them.
> >
> > Leonard
>
> Both the DLP and PDP should ideally have lifespans which will exceed the
> use of the TV. Technology obsolescence as 1080p sets become common and
> a lot less expensive will result in most HD TVs purchased today being
> set aside as the main TV within 5-10 years. That having been said, the
> rated lifespan of the Panasonic 6UY and 7UY generation plasmas is 60,000
> hours to half brightness. Which is a heck of lot longer than ye old CRT
> used to be (20 to 30,000 hours to half brightness was typical for CRTs
> for a long time). Pioneer, IIRC, has claimed 100,000 hours for their
> latest plasmas due to the use of longer lasting blue phosphors.
>
> The DLP chip itself should last a long time. However, DLP and any RPTV
> project the image through a complex set of optical lenses. Which will
> get dirty at the unsealed surfaces and may slowly age with the high
> intensity light projected through them. The electronics of a DLP set are
> not much less integrated than that of a plasma. In general, the mostly
> likely electronic component to fail in any TV is the power supply and
> that is replaceable on any decently designed set.
>
> BTW, the warranty for the commercial Panasonic was one year and it was
> not that expensive to get extended repair coverage from a vendor.
> Certainly cheaper than the ESP you are likely to get from a Best Buy and
> their ilk as they use the ESPs as a major profit item.
>
> Alan F

60,000 hours to half brightness. So what is it at 30,000? 10,000? It will
never look as good as new. When phosphors age they get a grungy, dirty
look. Newer PDPs may be less prone to phosphor aging, but they do still
age.

The electronics that drive a PDP are much higher current devices than the
controlling electronics in a DLP. A significant part of a PDP is integrated
with the panel and would cost virtually as much as a new set to replace.
Many of the failures that have occurred in PDPs have been catastrophic.

Both DLP and PDP technologies have proven to be quite reliable, among the
better brands, but the DLP is inherently less complex. The optics are
actually quite simple.

As of last summer, the commercial products from Panasonic had a 90 day
warranty and did not cover in-home service.

What do you mean by "a vendor" and who is the local servicer?

Leonard
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 7:01:42 PM

I would not go with non-HD EDTV unless, for some reason, you are NEVER going
to get HDTV, just use your TV set for SD programs and DVD's. Otherwise, go
HDTV, accept no substitutes.

mack
austin

">net net >" <"> wrote in message news:TpednbPbMMX-gazfRVn-vQ@rogers.com...

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to decide between these two options:
>
> 1. Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY 42" 852x480 4000:1 Contrast Plasma
> 2. LG RU44SZ61 44" 1280 x 720 1500:1 Contrast DLP
>
> Panasonic
> Pros: Plasma, contrast, thin, Panasonic!!,
> Cons: EDTV Not HDTV, costs a bit more
>
> LG
> Pros: Real HDTV, Bigger screen, a bit cheaper
> Cons: DLP (not as good?), contrast, thicker
>
> Opinions on what I should choose??
> Thanks!
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 5:48:29 PM

Unless you HAVE to have the flat screen I would never settle for non HD
resolution. There is a lot of talk about upcoming 1080P sets but there is no
media or broadcast standard for 1080P so that seems to be a moot point at
least for now.

I have a Mits. 62725 DLP and am very pleased with the picture and overall
performance so far.

Good luck with your choice,

Bob K.

!