IDE Hard drives, new systems

craka

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Hello everyone. I have a problem. I am readily growing impatient with my old machine (AMD Athlon XP 2100+, VIA KT333, 1 gig ram), and judging by what these new programs command, I can do much better. I haven't kept up with hardware in years, and these new motherboards look way different. What I am concerned about are the hard drive interfaces, as the one I'm looking at has only one IDE socket. I'm assuming thats for CDROM drives, but other than that these new motherboards only give you the option of SATA, and the drives I have now are 2 Western Digital WD2500SB which I don't plan on just getting rid of. My question is what kind of options do I have with keeping these drives on a newer motherboard. I don't really need the benefits of RAID, but would like the IDE sockets. Thanks in advance.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you want to use both ATA drives, your best bet would be to get a SATA DVD burner. You could buy a card that will give you more ATA connections but given the prices of DVD burners I'd go with that option. The other thing you could do would be to install one of the ATA drives and get an enclosure, about $30 -$35, and use the other as an external dirve