New build, several component questions.

Dandylions

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Hello and thanks for reading.

I consider myself pretty tech-savvy, but I've never actually built a computer from scratch. Decided I wanted to try my hand at it to replace my Dell laptop, as I get to control EVERYTHING about a self-built computer. I've been researching a lot on components, but I still have some questions I was hoping someone here would be able to answer.

I plan on using this computer for everything. I don't play too many games, but would like the option to run almost anything. Plan on overclocking for the hell of it. Would like the computer to be somewhat upgradeable as well. Budget is about $1 500.

Here's what I have in mind so far, my reasons why (some of them are a touch bizarre, I know), and any questions I have. Please give me any input that comes to mind.

Case: Antec Nine Hundred. The power button is on top and not too gaudy. I couldn't find any other cases with the power button on top (other than three hundred dollar aluminum juggernauts). Does anyone know if it's possible to block the side vent and disable the LEDs on the front fans?

Power supply: No idea. Would like it to be modular and be able to power everything else. The Antec case puts the power supply on the bottom, so what does that mean for power supplies with the fan on the inside, blowing (in this case) up? Should I restrict myself to ones that blow out?

Motherboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe Wifi. Mostly for the wifi (need it one way or another), but the remote and MP3-in are nice. Should I get something based on a P35 chipset instead? I'm thinking my processor should need upgrading around the same time Intel scraps Socket 775.

Processor: Intel Q6600. My one splurge on the system.

Processor fan: Zalman CNPS9500. Seems like it'd do a good job, and its aesthetically pleasing. Anyone know if this will fit? Also, does the user get to pick which direction it's installed in, or no?

Memory: (2) 1 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 MHz. Would add another two sticks at some point down the road.

Graphics card: EVGA GeForce 7900 GS 256 MB. Cheap on Newegg, and I plan on upgrading this early next spring.

Optical drives: Lite-On. No brand logos on their drives, and I like the semi-matte black finish.

Flash reader: Plan on having one. At some point, anyway.

Hard drives: Hitachi Deskstar 320 GB SATA. Current plan is to eventually have four 320 GB hard drives in RAID 5. Question here is: Is the RAID implementation on the motherboard any good?

Monitor: BenQ 22 inch widescreen monitor with HDMI. The HDMI is a nice touch, and it's pretty cheap on Newegg.

Keyboard and mouse: Microsoft. If nothing else, they make lovely peripherals.

Windows: Vista Business. Or Ultimate, not sure. My concern is how does Vista react to multiple system upgrades, and does it depend on whether I get the retail or OEM version? Haven't been able to find any real information on this. Plan on swapping the video card for sure, adding three more hard drives (one or two at a time), and a flash reader.

Thanks in advance.

gators1223

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
for power i would say either thermaltake toughpower 600w, i know its modular, or seasonic 600w, not sure if its modular, i hear that raid 1, 0, are fine on motherboards but that raid 5 is terrible and you need a raid card i don't know a thing about vista, xp works for me...

xciter

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Why Q6600? If you are not a billionare, E6600 will be perfect. The hitachi is good but ditch the monitor. Buy Samsung. For Vista you can check before the upgrade if the parts you want to buy are compatible. By the way that motherboard is too pricey for it`s performance. GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R will do. For cooler go for http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010110574+50002108&name=Scythe+USA with a second fan. For power supply anything above 500W will do it(i mean real 500W not the china ones)