Some weird problem with RAM, please help

reaperspirit

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
I had 2 gigs of corsair twin2x 667 rams, and i overclocked my cpu to 3.0ghz and everything was working perfectly for a year.

I decided that 4 gigs might help with vista, so i got 2 more 1 gb stick of the same RAM.

I installed them, and i kept freezing randomly in windows. I run memtest and i found errors at test #3. I thought my rams were defective, so i tried using only 1 of the two new sticks along with the 2 older ones. Everything seemed clear with memtest. So it didn't seem any of the memory were defective.

I then tried using only the 2 new stick of rams, and everything seems clear too. So I only seemed to have problems with all 4 sticks at the same time.

I tried various things, and currently, undoing my overclock and running the rams at 533 seems to have solved the problem for now, i didn't get errors yet.

Anyone knows what the problem might be? I thought it might be voltage, but i'm not sure, so i didn't wanna try it and fry my rams. I ran them at 1.9V.

CPU : e6600
MB : Asus p5b deluxe
RAM : corsair twin2x 667 4-4-4-12 1g stick each

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
It would be nice at the very least to let us know whether it's an AMD or Intel system, since they each handle memory completely differently. It sounds like an Athlon, since one has to increase latency when using more than two sticks, due to how the CPU handles ram. Intel sets don't have this limitation.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
sorry, i was sure i specified

it is an intel e6600, asus p5b deluxe motherboard.
rams = corsair twin2x 667 4-4-4-12

Oops, yes you did. Sometimes such things tend to get lost among the adverts at the bottom of the post.

Try going back to the original memory speed but with timing of 5-4-4-14 or some such. Different sets of ram may have different enough slew rates that timing errors may occur even if the latency is set to that of the slowest ram. The desirability of matching slew rates (essentially the "frequency response" of the memory chips) is why haivng at least the same model and latency ratings among different pairs is preferable.

reaperspirit

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
np, and ya its really weird.

The rams are all the same brand and same model. I lowered the timings back to 533 4-4-4-12 and i dont crash anymore, but memtest gives errors when i use all 4 sticks.

I'll try changing the timings to a bit slower, it might help , as 667 4-4-4-12 outright crashed my computer, it seems to get better as i changed it to something slower.

Trallero

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2007
I have the P5NSLI Motherboard and I'm running a 3.20 pentium D.
I started the computer with 1gb RAM (512x2) on dual Channel mode PNY DDR2 PC2-5300, 3 months later I wanted to upgrade to 2GB so I bought exactly the same model another package of (512x2) but when I put all the 4 memory sticks the system does not display anything on the monitor if I put 3 sticks system starts but windows does not load and if I put the original 1gb or the new 1gb I just bought its runs just fine is it the same as this guy's problem or am I facing something different?