Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

hey gang --

picked the game up last week and have mucked around a bit...

1 -- scenarios are REALLY tough (at least at entrepreneur & tycoon level) Each
scenario has three levels to it, beginning with apprentice -- which is
certainly not difficult... however, with the absence of the RCT1/2 tab that
shows what all peeps are doing & thinking, i find it *very* difficult to stay
on top of things... mind you, i've been playing all prior versions of the game
for years, and believe i'm at least pretty well skilled in the subtleties of
them -- but this version is giving me fits, and i don't know how to fix it
without the feedback from the peeps... someone here suggested that a patch was
forthcoming -- is that confirmed or just speculation?? either way, sandbox mode
rocks :)

2 -- the game is a SERIOUS resource hog -- you better have a decent video card
just to get it to open (and, NO, the game doesn't profile your system before
installing, so you may have load the whole thing only to find that it won't
open), and even then you may get bogged down fairly early into it, or simply
not be able to see water AT ALL... but, the what does show up does looks
*great* :)

3 -- approx. half of my old track files cannot be converted to the new form :(,
and several others show up in a different form altogether (i.e. one particular
big wooden twister that RCT3 somehow displays as an arrow-esque steel coaster
???) then, of those that DO convert, and into the same form, only a couple
actually end up running similarly to how they used to on the previous versions,
without bottoming out or just slowing to a stop mid-run.. kind of a bummer,
but at least building new ones from scratch is a little more fun now, with the
test-incomplete-track-in-pause mode :) ..i only wish the "large overbanked
turn" for the gigas was a LOT bigger than it is -- like millenium force
scale... as it is, it's only about 100 ft high, and you have to build it from a
level section -- meaning you cannot really use it right after a 300 ft drop
without sending your G's through the roof... :(

4 -- i can only assume that the wooden benches begin to rot and self destruct
after a couple of years??? i kept hearing wood splintering, and was able to
witness the benches collapse on several occasions -- with no peeps really
anywhere near them, or none of those that were feeling even slightly anrgy or
unhappy... i saw nothing about this in the manual

5 -- setting patrol routes for staff is MUCH easier and more versatile, tho
they now tend to wander off on their own fairly regularly (???) there's a
button to press to "discipline" them, but i'm unclear on what that actually
does... it seems you *do* have to simply fire some of them, even if you're not
interested in vacating that particular type and location of staffing, which is
more realistic, i suppose, but also a pain in the butt...

6 -- riding the rides is REALLY cool -- and you can ride just about every one
of em

7 -- the fireworks are a nice touch, and *very* easy to create from scratch..

8 -- peeps do not seem to ride as many rides, even when you have nothing but
the sorts of rides they prefer -- and they do not register as much feedback
about the rides as they did in prior versions... it's tough to tell what
they're thinking!!!! ..and it seems like far more of them are content to just
wander around the park without spending a nickel -- which would be fine if you
were allowed to just charge at the gate, but in many cases you are not...

9 -- peep/coaster/scenario/landscape editors are very nice :)

10 -- night time is great!!!! ...it's nice to have a reason to put lamp posts
on the paths :)

11 -- TONS more flat rides!!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!

12 -- no tunnelling underground for coaster tracks or paths :(

13 -- scenery, esp. trees and animated stuff, is much better :)

ok, i'm sure there's more i've noticed, but cannot remember at the moment...
more to come..

banks

schlappy1@aol.come.2gethr (mike) wrote:

>hey gang --
>
>picked the game up last week and have mucked around a bit...
>
>1 -- scenarios are REALLY tough (at least at entrepreneur & tycoon level) Each
>scenario has three levels to it, beginning with apprentice -- which is
>certainly not difficult... however, with the absence of the RCT1/2 tab that
>shows what all peeps are doing & thinking, i find it *very* difficult to stay
>on top of things... mind you, i've been playing all prior versions of the game
>for years, and believe i'm at least pretty well skilled in the subtleties of
>them -- but this version is giving me fits, and i don't know how to fix it
>without the feedback from the peeps... someone here suggested that a patch was
>forthcoming -- is that confirmed or just speculation?? either way, sandbox mode
>rocks :)

There is a beta of the patch available somewhere via the Atari/RCT3 forums
at http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=315. It
includes the aggregate peeps window as it was in RCT1/2. It also fixes
some other things.

BTW: There is a lot of discussion going on in the forums. I wish it would
move over here since the web-based forum format is so inadequate for
threading and replies. It's just chaos right now.

>3 -- approx. half of my old track files cannot be converted to the new form :(,
>and several others show up in a different form altogether (i.e. one particular
>big wooden twister that RCT3 somehow displays as an arrow-esque steel coaster
>???) then, of those that DO convert, and into the same form, only a couple
>actually end up running similarly to how they used to on the previous versions,
>without bottoming out or just slowing to a stop mid-run..

So far I've only tried loading up one of my old Wild Mouse coasters. It
seemed to convert correctly except the color was all wrong. It even has
its single-car trains while RCT3 won't let me go less than 2-car trains
for a new wild mouse (I presume a bug in the train size selector control).
The coaster seems to run about the same as in RCT1/2. However, there have
been various complaints about coaster physics changing in RCT3. A new
"cheat" was added in the beta patch that reduces friction in coasters (for
those who are having problems with coasters imported from RCT1/2).

>4 -- i can only assume that the wooden benches begin to rot and self destruct
>after a couple of years??? i kept hearing wood splintering, and was able to
>witness the benches collapse on several occasions -- with no peeps really
>anywhere near them, or none of those that were feeling even slightly anrgy or
>unhappy...

There seems to be a disconnect between peeps' moods and their actions.
This is causing complaints on the forums. There have been some
less-than-helpful responses suggesting all kinds of things we could be
doing wrong in designing our parks. Veteran RCT players are scratching
their heads. In RCT1/2, an angry peep will vandalize things. In RCT3,
vandalism seems to happen by some calculation/agency other than individual
peeps acting on their individual thoughts. If so, this is not in the
spirit of a proper simulator and seems....well...lazy.

>5 -- setting patrol routes for staff is MUCH easier and more versatile, tho
>they now tend to wander off on their own fairly regularly (???)

This was "not-a-bug" but it has been altered in the beta patch because of
complaints. We were told that staff would leave their assigned routes to
find something to do. Staff members will get bored if they don't have
enough to do, and they will QUIT THEIR JOBS. Perhaps the original intent
was to save you $$$ (and micro-management) by automatically trimming your
staff if you have way too much.

For what it's worth, I find the "assigned route" feature to be much less
necessary in RCT3. Janitors and mechanics seem to move along quite
briskly doing their jobs. Just give them free reign (and "train" them).
IMHO, dealing with the occasional bored mechanic is less annoying (from a
micro-management perspective) than maintaining routes, which I never cared
for in RCT1/2. The half-complete implementation of routes in RCT3
suggests that the designers wanted to get away from them in lieu of some
other staffing management strategy. I'll cut them some slack here.

>6 -- riding the rides is REALLY cool -- and you can ride just about every one
>of em

yes!

>7 -- the fireworks are a nice touch, and *very* easy to create from scratch..

yes again

>8 -- peeps do not seem to ride as many rides, even when you have nothing but
>the sorts of rides they prefer -- and they do not register as much feedback
>about the rides as they did in prior versions... it's tough to tell what
>they're thinking!!!! ..and it seems like far more of them are content to just
>wander around the park without spending a nickel -- which would be fine if you
>were allowed to just charge at the gate, but in many cases you are not...

This seems to be, by far, the biggest complaint on the forums. And it has
become mired in the debate of "we're doing something wrong" vs. "peep AI
is broken".

Personally, I'm seeing rides that the peeps suddenly stop riding with
virtually no feedback from the game why this is so. My own theory at this
point is that peeps are not leaving the park like they should when they've
had enough. So the park fills up with "highly tenured" peeps who have
lost interest in the lower excitement/intensity rides. New peeps won't
arrive because the park is "full".

>9 -- peep/coaster/scenario/landscape editors are very nice :)
>
>10 -- night time is great!!!! ...it's nice to have a reason to put lamp posts
>on the paths :)

Flickering torches even. YES!!!! Also note that all the lamps are also
available under "scenery items" so they can be placed anywhere (not
limited to paths). Great for lighting up areas of the park where there
aren't paths.

>11 -- TONS more flat rides!!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!
>
>12 -- no tunnelling underground for coaster tracks or paths :(

They're supposedly working on that for a future expansion pack.

sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
@comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!
^ my email |

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

Hi!

On 10 Nov 2004 08:42:57 GMT, schlappy1@aol.come.2gethr (mike) wrote:

>1 -- scenarios are REALLY tough (at least at entrepreneur & tycoon level)

Me, I haven't played much scenarios yet, I played around in sandbox mode to get a
"feeling" for the new engine. And after I heard of the patch coming, I decided to
stick around in sandbox mode until it comes, since, frankly, some of the things its
going to fix are quite important.
BTW, infos about the patch and more can be found at
http://www.frontier.co.uk/games/rct3/faq.html

>... however, with the absence of the RCT1/2 tab that
>shows what all peeps are doing & thinking, i find it *very* difficult to stay
>on top of things...

will be fixed with the patch.

>2 -- the game is a SERIOUS resource hog -- you better have a decent video card
>just to get it to open

Yes, indeed. My system is well within the specs, but still it lags very badly.

>4 -- i can only assume that the wooden benches begin to rot and self destruct
>after a couple of years???

Whatever happens - good thing that the marble benches won't break at all. I also have
not yet seen broken lamps and dustbins, so maybe I will never have to worry about
that again!

>5 -- setting patrol routes for staff is MUCH easier and more versatile, tho
>they now tend to wander off on their own fairly regularly (???) there's a
>button to press to "discipline" them, but i'm unclear on what that actually
>does... it seems you *do* have to simply fire some of them, even if you're not
>interested in vacating that particular type and location of staffing, which is
>more realistic, i suppose, but also a pain in the butt...

Discipline staff has a gread effect on the breaks they want to take; some staff
members spend more than 80% of their time on breaks. Obviously, that is not good.
Training them has a lot of effect, as does disciplining them. However, it seems that
you can only discipline them 4 times, after that it's firing them. But then, if 4
times did not help, that's probably the best thing to do.

I am not overy fond of that training/disciplining thing, though - next we probably
will have strikes, like we had in Theme Park. (The only thing that *really* annoyed
me - that and the fact that it just won't run under win.)

>6 -- riding the rides is REALLY cool -- and you can ride just about every one
>of em

Yes, but has anybody been able to see the circus show? Everything else is great -
except for the lags, of course. BTW, when I switch off people the lagging gets a lot
better. Still, it is annoying.

>7 -- the fireworks are a nice touch, and *very* easy to create from scratch..

Uh, I don't get along with the fireworks at all. Methinks that this would be an
excellent topic for a FAQ - or a download section on somebodys page ;-)

>8 -- peeps do not seem to ride as many rides, even when you have nothing but
>the sorts of rides they prefer -- and they do not register as much feedback
>about the rides as they did in prior versions...

That is most annoying, but some of that will be fixed with the patch. What also
annoys me very much is the fact that at least in sandbox mode, peeps will complain
about rides being too expensive which are only a few months old, charge the initial 1
Euro, in a park where the entrance fee is 0. Coasters with similar ratings went for 5
Euros for quite a while in RCT 1/2, and for years above 2.80 Euros.

>12 -- no tunnelling underground for coaster tracks or paths :(

Well, it was either tunneling or the ability to ride all rides, according to the
developers. And while I love tunneling, I also love the ability to ride all rides.
Besides, they promised that tunneling will come along eventually.

>13 -- scenery, esp. trees and animated stuff, is much better :)

Unfortunaltey, they are also ressource hogs, so we come back to problem 2.

Alex
--
If you don't go over the top,
you can't see what's on the other side.

Alex' Assorted Homepages: www.alexsite.de

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

hi folks --

replying to my own thread, yes :)

thanks for the links to the patch -- an easy download & install, and *what* a
difference it makes!!!

....i was actually able to complete a scenario at tycoon level -- a first :)
now, if there was only a way to shrink the peeps screen so that you actually
see both it *and* the rest of the game at the same time.... oh well....

and, i *did* see an effect on a disciplined staff member -- he immediately got
happy and motivated... dunno about you, but those exactly the reactions *I*
have getting hollered at :)

banks

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

I noticed that my ride operator for the mine train ride wasn't letting
passengers on. Then I figured out that you can also "teach" the
operators just like the janitors and repairmen. In the Sandbox mode, pay
for all 3 training sessions and give them all a raise in pay. They'll do
a lot better in keeping the rides going on time.

Where's the non-beta update? We're waiting! ;-)

mike wrote:
> hi folks --
>
> replying to my own thread, yes :)
>
> thanks for the links to the patch -- an easy download & install, and *what* a
> difference it makes!!!
>
> ...i was actually able to complete a scenario at tycoon level -- a first :)
> now, if there was only a way to shrink the peeps screen so that you actually
> see both it *and* the rest of the game at the same time.... oh well....
>
> and, i *did* see an effect on a disciplined staff member -- he immediately got
> happy and motivated... dunno about you, but those exactly the reactions *I*
> have getting hollered at :)
>
> banks

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon,rec.roller-coaster (More info?)

I cross posted this thread to rec.roller-coaster
Many people on that newsgroup who do not post on alt.games.rctycoon are
also playing RCT 3 and may enjoy this feedback..

> [...]
> the sorts of rides they prefer -- and they do not register as much feedback
> about the rides as they did in prior versions... it's tough to tell what
> they're thinking!!!! ..and it seems like far more of them are content to just
> wander around the park without spending a nickel -- which would be fine if you
> were allowed to just charge at the gate, but in many cases you are not...
>
> 9 -- peep/coaster/scenario/landscape editors are very nice :)
>
> 10 -- night time is great!!!! ...it's nice to have a reason to put lamp posts
> on the paths :)
>
> 11 -- TONS more flat rides!!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!
>
> 12 -- no tunnelling underground for coaster tracks or paths :(
>
> 13 -- scenery, esp. trees and animated stuff, is much better :)
>
> ok, i'm sure there's more i've noticed, but cannot remember at the moment...

Thanks for the post and info...

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

> hi folks --

Hello..

> replying to my own thread, yes :)

That is perfectly ok on Usenet. :)

> thanks for the links to the patch -- an easy download & install, and *what* a
> difference it makes!!!

Good news!

> ...i was actually able to complete a scenario at tycoon level -- a first :)
> now, if there was only a way to shrink the peeps screen so that you actually
> see both it *and* the rest of the game at the same time.... oh well....

Congrats.
And no menu drag in RCT 3?

> and, i *did* see an effect on a disciplined staff member -- he immediately got
> happy and motivated... dunno about you, but those exactly the reactions *I*
> have getting hollered at :)

hehe.

Wolf

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon,rec.roller-coaster (More info?)

>> picked the game up last week and have mucked around a bit...
>>
>> 1 -- scenarios are REALLY tough (at least at entrepreneur & tycoon level)
>> Each
>> scenario has three levels to it, beginning with apprentice -- which is
>> certainly not difficult... however, with the absence of the RCT1/2 tab
>> that
>> shows what all peeps are doing & thinking, i find it *very* difficult to
>> stay
>> on top of things... mind you, i've been playing all prior versions of
>> the game
>> for years, and believe i'm at least pretty well skilled in the subtleties
>> of
>> them -- but this version is giving me fits, and i don't know how to fix
>> it
>> without the feedback from the peeps... someone here suggested that a
>> patch was
>> forthcoming -- is that confirmed or just speculation?? either way,
>> sandbox mode
>> rocks :)

There is a patch. I'm running the beta version of the patch currently.

--
|\-/|
<0 0>

Archived from groups: alt.games.rctycoon (More info?)

To deal with the BUG that causes the PEEPS to stop getting on rides. The
only solution is to save your game, go back to the Career Menu screen
and reload your game. This is a serious bug. I've had this happen EVERY
15 minutes while playing. Very annoying. (yes... I do have the "beta"
patch installed)

An example of this BUG: 6 peeps get on a coaster then suddenly the
"booth operator" won't let anyone else pay to get on, so the peeps just
stand there until the train leaves the station. After that, no peeps are
able to ride. It doesn't matter if you reset the ride, "train" the booth
operator, or lower your prices.

schlappy1@aol.come.2gethr (mike) wrote in message news:<20041110034257.00362.00000421@mb-m17.aol.com>...
> hey gang --
>
> picked the game up last week and have mucked around a bit...
>
> 1 -- scenarios are REALLY tough (at least at entrepreneur & tycoon level) Each
> scenario has three levels to it, beginning with apprentice -- which is
> certainly not difficult... however, with the absence of the RCT1/2 tab that
> shows what all peeps are doing & thinking, i find it *very* difficult to stay
> on top of things... mind you, i've been playing all prior versions of the game
> for years, and believe i'm at least pretty well skilled in the subtleties of
> them -- but this version is giving me fits, and i don't know how to fix it
> without the feedback from the peeps... someone here suggested that a patch was
> forthcoming -- is that confirmed or just speculation?? either way, sandbox mode
> rocks :)

It is very hard to make some money each months (not considering
awards). It *is* able to complete the "Beginner"'s level before
getting bankrupt. After that, it is harder to reach the "Ondernemer"'s
and the "Tycoon"'s level (I installed the Dutch version), because the
behaviour of my visitors is some rigid, or I am a newbie yet.

> 2

I have no problems with my video-card, nor on my PC, nor on my laptop
(the latter is a year younger, so its performance are much better).

> 5 -- setting patrol routes for staff is MUCH easier and more versatile, tho
> they now tend to wander off on their own fairly regularly (???) there's a
> button to press to "discipline" them, but i'm unclear on what that actually
> does... it seems you *do* have to simply fire some of them, even if you're not
> interested in vacating that particular type and location of staffing, which is
> more realistic, i suppose, but also a pain in the butt...

I found out, that your workers tends to pause whenever they like. The
longer they are on your personnel list, the longer they tend to pause.
"Disciplining" them has only sence if they pause about 25 % or 30 % of
their time. Is there a relation between pausing for a long time and
not liking their job?

> 6 -- riding the rides is REALLY cool -- and you can ride just about every one
> of em

Indeed, not just rollercoasters. I would also like Virtual Reality to
visitors (that *you* walk through your park), not just to almost every
attraction.

> 7 -- the fireworks are a nice touch, and *very* easy to create from scratch..
>
> 8 -- peeps do not seem to ride as many rides, even when you have nothing but
> the sorts of rides they prefer -- and they do not register as much feedback
> about the rides as they did in prior versions... it's tough to tell what
> they're thinking!!!! ..and it seems like far more of them are content to just
> wander around the park without spending a nickel -- which would be fine if you
> were allowed to just charge at the gate, but in many cases you are not...

Yes, that is what I think that makes the game harder.

Hans Kamp.

"Hans Kamp" <info@hanskamp.com> wrote in message
> schlappy1@aol.come.2gethr (mike) wrote in message
>> hey gang --
>>
>> picked the game up last week and have mucked around a bit...
>>
>> 1 -- scenarios are REALLY tough (at least at entrepreneur & tycoon level)
>> Each
>> scenario has three levels to it, beginning with apprentice -- which is
>> certainly not difficult... however, with the absence of the RCT1/2 tab
>> that
>> shows what all peeps are doing & thinking, i find it *very* difficult to
>> stay
>> on top of things... mind you, i've been playing all prior versions of
>> the game
>> for years, and believe i'm at least pretty well skilled in the subtleties
>> of
>> them -- but this version is giving me fits, and i don't know how to fix
>> it
>> without the feedback from the peeps... someone here suggested that a
>> patch was
>> forthcoming -- is that confirmed or just speculation?? either way,
>> sandbox mode
>> rocks :)
>
> It is very hard to make some money each months (not considering
> awards). It *is* able to complete the "Beginner"'s level before
> getting bankrupt. After that, it is harder to reach the "Ondernemer"'s
> and the "Tycoon"'s level (I installed the Dutch version), because the
> behaviour of my visitors is some rigid, or I am a newbie yet.
>
>> 2
>
> I have no problems with my video-card, nor on my PC, nor on my laptop
> (the latter is a year younger, so its performance are much better).
>
>> 5 -- setting patrol routes for staff is MUCH easier and more versatile,
>> tho
>> they now tend to wander off on their own fairly regularly (???) there's
>> button to press to "discipline" them, but i'm unclear on what that
>> actually
>> does... it seems you *do* have to simply fire some of them, even if
>> you're not
>> interested in vacating that particular type and location of staffing,
>> which is
>> more realistic, i suppose, but also a pain in the butt...
>
> I found out, that your workers tends to pause whenever they like. The
> longer they are on your personnel list, the longer they tend to pause.
> "Disciplining" them has only sence if they pause about 25 % or 30 % of
> their time. Is there a relation between pausing for a long time and
> not liking their job?
>
>> 6 -- riding the rides is REALLY cool -- and you can ride just about every
>> one
>> of em
>
> Indeed, not just rollercoasters. I would also like Virtual Reality to
> visitors (that *you* walk through your park), not just to almost every
> attraction.

If you rename one of your guests Jonny Watts then you will have a 'peep-cam'
and see the park through his eyes.

Money can be got by renaming a guest John D Rockefeller

Renaming a guest 'Frontier' means your rides never break down

Rename a guest James Hunt and you get a buggy to drive around!

'Jon Roach' Will make all rides really appealing.
'Sam Denney' will do the same for coasters.

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 04:19:10 GMT, Dirk Steel <dirk_steel_remove_to_e-mail@excite.com>
wrote:

>An example of this BUG: 6 peeps get on a coaster then suddenly the
>"booth operator" won't let anyone else pay to get on, so the peeps just
>stand there until the train leaves the station. After that, no peeps are
>able to ride. It doesn't matter if you reset the ride, "train" the booth
>operator, or lower your prices.

Is it possible that this is due to an employee having breaks 100% of the time? I
trained all my vendors yesterday, and from the sheer number it seems that they sit in
ride booths as well as shops etc. Because if an employee is on break 100% of the
time, they can't leave people onto rides, either. I wasn't able to play for much
longer, but it seems to me that I had less rides that were just "open".

As for those rides, in the forums somebody solves that problem by pausing the game,
going into construction mode and changing one piece (even if it is replaced with the
very same piece). Sounds much faster than restarting the game.

Alex
--
If you don't go over the top,
you can't see what's on the other side.