Monitoring and Managing shared internet connection

renegadeice

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2004
Hi guys,

I'm currently using a broadband connection that's shared between a few users on a home WAN network. There are bandwidth limits on my current broadband plan and we've been going over our download caps, thus limiting our internet speed to dial-up :fou:

I'm currently using a DSL-G604T modem/router. is there a way to track how much bandwidth each user on my network is using a day,week,month, etc?

what we have all agreed on is to evenly divide our bandwidth to each user. Any user who exceeds their limit will be disconnected from the network.

Thanks in advance for all your help, guys.

azmtbkr81

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
It's difficult to do with an all in one device. Most devices like that have basic QoS features built in. QoS won't allow you to monitor who is doing what but it will allow you to set bandwidth limits.

I think your best bet may be to assign all of your users a static IP address and then use the QoS feature to limit the bandwidth each IP can use. So, if you have 4 users and a 6Mbit connection, each user is assigned 1.5Mbit, or since you are the one changing the configuration give everyone else 1Mbit and yourself 3Mbit since you'll need the extra bandwidth for "network management duties" ;)

NetworkMeUp

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008

I work for a company called Pure Networks, the creator of Network Magic, and we've recently developed a bandwidth meter called Speed Meter Pro.

It's a unique (and free) bandwidth meter that tracks, charts and logs bandwidth use on your network. So if you're looking for a way to easily track your overall bandwidth use and the bandwidth usage of each computer and device on your home network, try this: http://www.speedmeterpro.com/

Hope this helps! :sol: