command prompt and remote access manager

when I go to the command prompt and say type in chkdsk, or ipconfig/all it
tells me these are not recognized as an internal or external command. I dont
know what is causing this, I did have an issue where I had no group policy
editor, but I got the line of code to enter in and that has been fixed. I
checked error logs for system and there are lots that say error Remote access
manager failed to start because the point to point protocol failed to
initialize. I have fully scanned for viruses and spyware and am sure I have
not. So why cant I run things from the command prompt and what is this error
I keep getting in the error log

Check your PATH statement. Right click My Computer, select Properties, Advanced, Environment variables. In the System variables section, highlight "Path" and click Edit. The default path for a fairly clean system should read:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"mstout2001" <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3AE01B2-D7AF-491E-B3CE-290F408C954F@microsoft.com...
> when I go to the command prompt and say type in chkdsk, or ipconfig/all it
> tells me these are not recognized as an internal or external command. I dont
> know what is causing this, I did have an issue where I had no group policy
> editor, but I got the line of code to enter in and that has been fixed. I
> checked error logs for system and there are lots that say error Remote access
> manager failed to start because the point to point protocol failed to
> initialize. I have fully scanned for viruses and spyware and am sure I have
> not. So why cant I run things from the command prompt and what is this error
> I keep getting in the error log

thanks, I was on that path yesterday, while fixing my gpedit.msc, but you
know what the current problem was the string of code you just mentioned. I
had it as %systemRoot%|system32;sytsem I had system spelled wrong, lol funny
how us pro's can mess up the simplest things, thanks and have a good night

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> Check your PATH statement. Right click My Computer, select Properties, Advanced, Environment variables. In the System variables section, highlight "Path" and click Edit. The default path for a fairly clean system should read:
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "mstout2001" <mstout2001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3AE01B2-D7AF-491E-B3CE-290F408C954F@microsoft.com...
> > when I go to the command prompt and say type in chkdsk, or ipconfig/all it
> > tells me these are not recognized as an internal or external command. I dont
> > know what is causing this, I did have an issue where I had no group policy
> > editor, but I got the line of code to enter in and that has been fixed. I
> > checked error logs for system and there are lots that say error Remote access
> > manager failed to start because the point to point protocol failed to
> > initialize. I have fully scanned for viruses and spyware and am sure I have
> > not. So why cant I run things from the command prompt and what is this error
> > I keep getting in the error log

:)