Sign in with
Your question

System Freeze - Can anyone assist me?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 7, 2007 5:19:58 AM

Sup peeps...I just started getting a system lock-up. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I figured here would be as good a place as any. Wondering if anyone had any ideas...this is what happens...

I start my system. Go to launch any game like F.E.A.R, CS etc. After a few minutes my whole system is locked up.

Video Card: GeForce 6600 265MB 8X AGP
Drivers: Forceware Version 94.24
Monitors: NEC Multisync FE950 & Viewsonic VG2021m
DX: 9.0c

I just started having this issue in a past week. Tried most everything to see what's up. Could it be the Video Card overheating? Monitors going bad? I set the primary monitor to each one and also tried it with just 1 monitor plugged in as well with the same results. Basically what happens is after a few minutes while I'm in-game the screen(s) lock up and I have to manually reboot my system. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

More about : system freeze assist

a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2007 12:45:00 PM

You listed the games, your gfx card (which is a tad old) and your OS. No mention of your psu, your ram (how much) or your cpu. At this point with little infoprmation it could be anything. Have you added new hardware? Have you checked for heat problems> Have you looked at taskmanager for memory usage and or leaks?. Can your psu handle all this? Is your case filthy? Tell us your specs, then we can help
July 9, 2007 5:59:04 PM

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operati ng System: Windows XP Professional
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+, ~1.9GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6600
Chip type: GeForce 6600
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9424 (English)

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio

-------
Devices
-------
Devi ce Name: Razer Diamondback Mouse
Device Name: Logitech HID-Compliant Keyboard
Device Name: Nostromo n52 Speedpad2

I know a lot of my stuff is old but I've been running those games listed and more since they have been released. The psu is 500w and doesn't have a problem. This is why I'm posting here!

This issue "just" started last week after I upgraded my nvidia drivers from 93.71 to 94.24. I unistalled the old drivers prior to installing the new drivers so that's not a question. I've also tried to revert back to the old drivers and that doesn't work now (yes, uninstalled and installed drivers). The case has a few dust balls but no major layers of dust covering everything.
Related resources
!