HD CRT Tube Televisions

Last response: in Home Theatre
March 11, 2005 7:52:52 PM

First, what does everyone think about the Toshiba HD CRT Tube. I am looking
at the 34 inch model. Are Toshiba's good, or would you recommend another
brand.

Second, do the CRT tube TV's in general broadcast in most of the resolutions
(i.e., 490i, 480p, 720p and 1080i), or does it depend on the TV. If the TV
does not do all of the different resolutions, will the TV convert the signal
or do you need to rely on another source to convert the signal.

Thanks.

More about : crt tube televisions

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 8:21:53 PM

Marty C wrote:
> First, what does everyone think about the Toshiba HD CRT Tube. I am looking
> at the 34 inch model. Are Toshiba's good, or would you recommend another
> brand.

You cannot go wrong with the 34" CRT Sony. It's great. I've had it
for over a year and love it.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:03:49 PM

They are fairly rated, I would not have any problem using one. In the same
price range there may be other brands, like JVC, Sharp, Etc. May want to
check out what is available at the retailers near you, then make your
choice.
"Marty C" <mccohen@optonline.net> wrote in message
> First, what does everyone think about the Toshiba HD CRT Tube. I am
> looking at the 34 inch model. Are Toshiba's good, or would you recommend
> another brand.
>
> Second, do the CRT tube TV's in general broadcast in most of the
> resolutions (i.e., 490i, 480p, 720p and 1080i), or does it depend on the
> TV. If the TV does not do all of the different resolutions, will the TV
> convert the signal or do you need to rely on another source to convert the
> signal.
>
> Thanks.

March 11, 2005 9:45:47 PM

I have the Toshiba 34HFX83 CRT tube unit. Awesome TV. Would buy it again in
a heartbeat. When I went shopping around I actually spent a lot of time
comparing the 34" Sony with this one and I liked this one better - it seems
to me that it does a better job than the Sony at stretching/zooming the 4:3
SD (standard definition) video material - it actually doesn't look too
distorted at all.

Also, to answer your other question, CRT tubes display in 1080i, or 540p (or
at least mine does). Every other resolution will be scaled/interpolated. I
have an HDTV cable box capable of outputting both 1080i and 720p (which my
Toshiba accepts as well), and I can not make the difference - the conversion
must be good, I guess.

Virgil

"Marty C" <mccohen@optonline.net> wrote in message
> First, what does everyone think about the Toshiba HD CRT Tube. I am
> looking at the 34 inch model. Are Toshiba's good, or would you recommend
> another brand.
>
> Second, do the CRT tube TV's in general broadcast in most of the
> resolutions (i.e., 490i, 480p, 720p and 1080i), or does it depend on the
> TV. If the TV does not do all of the different resolutions, will the TV
> convert the signal or do you need to rely on another source to convert the
> signal.
>
> Thanks.

March 11, 2005 10:48:09 PM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:52:52 -0500, "Marty C" <mccohen@optonline.net>
wrote:

>First, what does everyone think about the Toshiba HD CRT Tube. I am looking
>at the 34 inch model. Are Toshiba's good, or would you recommend another
>brand.
>
>Second, do the CRT tube TV's in general broadcast in most of the resolutions
>(i.e., 490i, 480p, 720p and 1080i), or does it depend on the TV. If the TV
>does not do all of the different resolutions, will the TV convert the signal
>or do you need to rely on another source to convert the signal.
>
>Thanks.

The toshiba 34" is comparable to the sony hs420, but the sweet spot in
HDTV 34" technology is the sony 34XS955 with the fine pitch tube and
the built in tuners. Sony seems to have the best electronics package
if you're concerned about scalers and such.

Next time you're in the store, take a close look at the dot pitch on
the HS420 series compared to the XS955 and you'll see the famous
screen door effect. Not that big a deal, but you can see the
difference the fine pitch tube makes.

IMHO the XBR version is too much for too little more and since it came
out first it had a lot of start up problems.

I think they manufactured the XS955 line with less problems.

Ok here's where it gets funny. If you buy into the XS955 thing, the
36XS955 is the better deal. You get a 33" widescreen picture
essentially the same as the 34" model and you get a huge 36" 4:3
picture. Everything else is the same inside and the clincher is it's
a couple of hundred dollars less than the "sexy" 34xs955.

Avoid the 30hf84 as it's not a real Toshiba it's allegedly built by
Orion in the far east somewhere. The 34hf84 IS a real Toshiba built
by Toshiba.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:05:43 PM

I'm glad you like the 34HFX83. That is the one I am looking at. What did
you pay for it?

"ZVR" <nospamever@me.net> wrote in message
>I have the Toshiba 34HFX83 CRT tube unit. Awesome TV. Would buy it again in
>a heartbeat. When I went shopping around I actually spent a lot of time
>comparing the 34" Sony with this one and I liked this one better - it seems
>to me that it does a better job than the Sony at stretching/zooming the 4:3
>SD (standard definition) video material - it actually doesn't look too
>distorted at all.
>
> Also, to answer your other question, CRT tubes display in 1080i, or 540p
> (or at least mine does). Every other resolution will be
> scaled/interpolated. I have an HDTV cable box capable of outputting both
> 1080i and 720p (which my Toshiba accepts as well), and I can not make the
> difference - the conversion must be good, I guess.
>
> Virgil
>

> "Marty C" <mccohen@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> First, what does everyone think about the Toshiba HD CRT Tube. I am
>> looking at the 34 inch model. Are Toshiba's good, or would you recommend
>> another brand.
>>
>> Second, do the CRT tube TV's in general broadcast in most of the
>> resolutions (i.e., 490i, 480p, 720p and 1080i), or does it depend on the
>> TV. If the TV does not do all of the different resolutions, will the TV
>> convert the signal or do you need to rely on another source to convert
>> the signal.
>>
>> Thanks.

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 3:15:16 AM

"Michael J. Sherman" <msherman@dsbox.com> wrote in message news:01i9g2-ojk.ln1@developers.dsbox.com...
> Marty C wrote:
>> First, what does everyone think about the Toshiba HD CRT Tube. I am looking
>> at the 34 inch model. Are Toshiba's good, or would you recommend another
>> brand.
>
> You cannot go wrong with the 34" CRT Sony. It's great. I've had it
> for over a year and love it.

Sony makes some great TVs and stuff, but I've noticed things made by Sony don't last long.
I've had a number of Sony TVs and Monitors and they're always malfunctioning and getting repaired.
Other brands of TVs and monitors I've owned, rarely, if ever have a problem. Don't know why.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 6:57:34 AM

I'm very happy with my Toshiba 30HF83.

Mind you, @ 126lbs, you can herniate your earlobes just moving it around
a bit.

JNG

In article <CEoYd.1126$e84.1063@fe10.lga>,
"Marty C" <mccohen@optonline.net> wrote:

> First, what does everyone think about the Toshiba HD CRT Tube. I am looking
> at the 34 inch model. Are Toshiba's good, or would you recommend another
> brand.
>
> Second, do the CRT tube TV's in general broadcast in most of the resolutions
> (i.e., 490i, 480p, 720p and 1080i), or does it depend on the TV. If the TV
> does not do all of the different resolutions, will the TV convert the signal
> or do you need to rely on another source to convert the signal.
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 7:02:53 AM

That's nothing the 34" Sony is 200 lbs.

"Josiah Gluck" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
> I'm very happy with my Toshiba 30HF83.
>
> Mind you, @ 126lbs, you can herniate your earlobes just moving it around
> a bit.
>
> JNG
>

> In article <CEoYd.1126$e84.1063@fe10.lga>,
> "Marty C" <mccohen@optonline.net> wrote:
>
> > First, what does everyone think about the Toshiba HD CRT Tube. I am
looking
> > at the 34 inch model. Are Toshiba's good, or would you recommend
another
> > brand.
> >
> > Second, do the CRT tube TV's in general broadcast in most of the
resolutions
> > (i.e., 490i, 480p, 720p and 1080i), or does it depend on the TV. If the
TV
> > does not do all of the different resolutions, will the TV convert the
signal
> > or do you need to rely on another source to convert the signal.
> >
> > Thanks.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:12:26 AM

Just think of the flippin service technicians who need to move these items
when necessary. The common customer has no regard for the needed
accessability for any of these products when they need service. Seems thay
are installed into wall units 8 feet ot more above the floor, into
entertainment cabinets weighing 5 times more than the sets, or so other
in-concieviable locations.<
"Wannagofast" <chris1207@shoes.excite.com> wrote in message
> That's nothing the 34" Sony is 200 lbs.
>
> "Josiah Gluck" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
>> I'm very happy with my Toshiba 30HF83.
>>
>> Mind you, @ 126lbs, you can herniate your earlobes just moving it around
>> a bit.
>>
>> JNG
>>

>> In article <CEoYd.1126$e84.1063@fe10.lga>,
>> "Marty C" <mccohen@optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>> > First, what does everyone think about the Toshiba HD CRT Tube. I am
> looking
>> > at the 34 inch model. Are Toshiba's good, or would you recommend
> another
>> > brand.
>> >
>> > Second, do the CRT tube TV's in general broadcast in most of the
> resolutions
>> > (i.e., 490i, 480p, 720p and 1080i), or does it depend on the TV. If
>> > the
> TV
>> > does not do all of the different resolutions, will the TV convert the
> signal
>> > or do you need to rely on another source to convert the signal.
>> >
>> > Thanks.

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:27:47 AM

Well, I got mine in May 2004 when prices were a lot different. I paid $1999
(Canadian) + tax. I am located in Toronto, Canada. I think they can be found
for less these days. Also if you're not opposed to the idea of
factory-refurbished you can strike some good deals online, for example these
guys have it for $799:
http://www.secondact.biz/product.aspx?productid=34HFX83

You can add an in-home extended warranty and you're still way ahead.... Just
a thought.

Virgil

> I'm glad you like the 34HFX83. That is the one I am looking at. What did
> you pay for it?
>

> "ZVR" <nospamever@me.net> wrote in message
>>I have the Toshiba 34HFX83 CRT tube unit. Awesome TV. Would buy it again
>>in a heartbeat. When I went shopping around I actually spent a lot of time
>>comparing the 34" Sony with this one and I liked this one better - it
>>seems to me that it does a better job than the Sony at stretching/zooming
>>the 4:3 SD (standard definition) video material - it actually doesn't look
>>too distorted at all.
>>
>> Also, to answer your other question, CRT tubes display in 1080i, or 540p
>> (or at least mine does). Every other resolution will be
>> scaled/interpolated. I have an HDTV cable box capable of outputting both
>> 1080i and 720p (which my Toshiba accepts as well), and I can not make the
>> difference - the conversion must be good, I guess.
>>
>> Virgil
>>

>> "Marty C" <mccohen@optonline.net> wrote in message
>>> First, what does everyone think about the Toshiba HD CRT Tube. I am
>>> looking at the 34 inch model. Are Toshiba's good, or would you
>>> recommend another brand.
>>>
>>> Second, do the CRT tube TV's in general broadcast in most of the
>>> resolutions (i.e., 490i, 480p, 720p and 1080i), or does it depend on the
>>> TV. If the TV does not do all of the different resolutions, will the TV
>>> convert the signal or do you need to rely on another source to convert
>>> the signal.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:32:40 PM

I have the Toshiba Cinema Series 34" and I love it. I also have a 36" Sony
XBR450. I have had major repairs on the Sony (thank God for the extended
warranty). The Sony has a great HD picture, but I prefer the Toshiba. Hope
this helps. Ed

"Marty C" <mccohen@optonline.net> wrote in message
> First, what does everyone think about the Toshiba HD CRT Tube. I am
> looking at the 34 inch model. Are Toshiba's good, or would you recommend
> another brand.
>
> Second, do the CRT tube TV's in general broadcast in most of the
> resolutions (i.e., 490i, 480p, 720p and 1080i), or does it depend on the
> TV. If the TV does not do all of the different resolutions, will the TV
> convert the signal or do you need to rely on another source to convert the
> signal.
>
> Thanks.

March 12, 2005 12:39:59 PM

Toshiba is an excellent MOR tv....not the priciest and not the
cheapest...and they have a very good repair record.
"Marty C" <mccohen@optonline.net> wrote in message
> First, what does everyone think about the Toshiba HD CRT Tube. I am
> looking at the 34 inch model. Are Toshiba's good, or would you recommend
> another brand.
>
> Second, do the CRT tube TV's in general broadcast in most of the
> resolutions (i.e., 490i, 480p, 720p and 1080i), or does it depend on the
> TV. If the TV does not do all of the different resolutions, will the TV
> convert the signal or do you need to rely on another source to convert the
> signal.
>
> Thanks.

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 5:14:42 PM

"Wannagofast" <chris1207@shoes.excite.com> wrote in

> That's nothing the 34" Sony is 200 lbs.
>
> "Josiah Gluck" <xxx@xxx.com> wrote in message
>> I'm very happy with my Toshiba 30HF83.
>>
>> Mind you, @ 126lbs, you can herniate your earlobes just moving it
>> around a bit.
>>
>> JNG
>>

>> In article <CEoYd.1126$e84.1063@fe10.lga>,
>> "Marty C" <mccohen@optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>> > First, what does everyone think about the Toshiba HD CRT Tube. I
>> > am
> looking
>> > at the 34 inch model. Are Toshiba's good, or would you recommend
> another
>> > brand.
>> >
>> > Second, do the CRT tube TV's in general broadcast in most of the
> resolutions
>> > (i.e., 490i, 480p, 720p and 1080i), or does it depend on the TV.
>> > If the
> TV
>> > does not do all of the different resolutions, will the TV convert
>> > the
> signal
>> > or do you need to rely on another source to convert the signal.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>
>I only have Toshibas. I ove the TV have had no problems. Some will tell
you that it is too heavy. Personally I never move my TV do I do not have
that problem
March 13, 2005 4:49:33 PM

>Sony makes some great TVs and stuff, but I've noticed things made by Sony don't last long.
>I've had a number of Sony TVs and Monitors and they're always malfunctioning and getting repaired.
>Other brands of TVs and monitors I've owned, rarely, if ever have a problem. Don't know why.

I've been using ALL Sony equipment for years and years and never has
any device failed me yet.Maybe I'm just lucky but I will probably stay
with Sony as long their specifications stay high and prices remain
reasonably affordable.
Jerry
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 8:54:29 PM

In <NxXYd.113778$pc5.29159@tornado.tampabay.rr.com> Jerry wrote:

> I've been using ALL Sony equipment for years and years and never has
> any device failed me yet.Maybe I'm just lucky but I will probably stay
> with Sony as long their specifications stay high and prices remain
> reasonably affordable.
> Jerry

Sony makes a good TV. The thing about Sony is that 20 years ago their
product was better, or at least perceived to be better. The fact of the
matter is that Sony is the number 2 consumer electronics manufacter in
the world. Their product is mass produced, generally in third world
countries, and the name of the game is cut any and all corners to
maximize profits.
I would still buy a Sony TV and not have any reservations about it,
because the difference in a Toshiba or Mitsubishi vs Sony isn't that
great. However, when it comes to audio I wouldn't touch any of their
product with a 10 foot pole. The difference between Sony and companies
like Marantz, NAD, and Rotel to name a few, is VAST. There is much
better equipment to be had when it comes to avrs and dvd players and the
like. YMMV, this stuff isn't important to everyone.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 11:59:56 AM

I have many electronics at home. Every Sony broke more than once in light
use. None of the RCA, GE or Radio Shack has any problems in heavy use.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 11:59:57 AM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:59:56 GMT, xlujgu@hotmail.com (X. Lu) wrote:

>I have many electronics at home. Every Sony broke more than once in light
>use. None of the RCA, GE or Radio Shack has any problems in heavy use.

Sony got a good rep for TV's back in the 70s-80s. Some of their other
products have always been poor. They cut back on value after the big
economics problems hit Japan eg the asian flu of the late 90s.

I've been unhappy with recent Sony purchases, but I'm impressed with
Sony's tube HDTV's relative to their current competition.

One good, cheap (sub 1K), large screen (eg 37"), LCD will spell the
end of Tube TVs though.
March 17, 2005 2:48:28 PM

You're either full of it, or lucky.
Clay
"X. Lu" <xlujgu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have many electronics at home. Every Sony broke more than once in
light
> use. None of the RCA, GE or Radio Shack has any problems in heavy
use.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 9:35:32 PM

My RCA HDTV is still just fine.

Badger wrote:
> You're either full of it, or lucky.
> Clay
> "X. Lu" <xlujgu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have many electronics at home. Every Sony broke more than once in
>
> light
>
>>use. None of the RCA, GE or Radio Shack has any problems in heavy
>
> use.

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 12:06:56 PM

You're either full of it, or ignorance.

I had been working in a company which was a major authorized service center
for all major brands. I have the statistic data every year to show that Sony
is one of the most frequently broken brands, and I know every problems they
had.

Someone just keep paying high price to get poor stuff all their life without
even knowing it....

In article <g8e_d.12696$nZ.1038102@twister.southeast.rr.com>, "Badger"
<cferriola@gmail.com> wrote:
>You're either full of it, or lucky.
>Clay
>"X. Lu" <xlujgu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have many electronics at home. Every Sony broke more than once in
>light
>> use. None of the RCA, GE or Radio Shack has any problems in heavy
>use.

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 12:06:57 PM

> You're either full of it, or ignorance.
>
> I had been working in a company which was a major authorized service
center
> for all major brands. I have the statistic data every year to show that
Sony
> is one of the most frequently broken brands, and I know every problems
they
> had.
>
> Someone just keep paying high price to get poor stuff all their life
without
> even knowing it....

Every brand breaks and needs service. Unless you know how many sets are
sold in your market, how many people have moved in with what sets, and every
other variable, the statistics on how many sets your company serviced only
tells you how many sets you serviced, not much more. I service mostly
Mitsubishi and Sony because that's what we have sole the most of in the past
18 years and we mostly service our own customers. Another shop locally is
authorized for nearly all brands and rarely sees either because we service
much of it.

The fact is that there are no good statistics on whose sets break more.
What you can conclude from working on them is which brands tend to do stupid
things and which brands have repeat failures of the same nature. Sony had
the infamous 2sc4834 switching pair in the PS that failed a lot because of
bad solder joints on the HDT. RCA had the infamous TOB problem, the high
failure rates on the anode splitters in the PTK169 series RPTVs, the EEPROM
problems, coolant leaks on the PTK195 series, etc. Hitachi had the leaky
SMD caps in comb filters and convergence modules. Mitsubishi had the
infamous V11 chassis sets with all the bad capacitors and the PIP modules
with bad SMD caps. Philips, well Philips is Philips and it is hard to
describe all the stupid things that they have done. The point is that all
manufacturers have problems. The better brands tend to have fewer silly
designs and poor applications than the lower tier brands. It is hard to
know, but asking shop techs will give you some ideas.

I can assure you that many shops have been kept in business by the RCA TOB
and Philips coolant contamination fiascoes. I stay pretty busy fixing RCA
sets even though we never sold one. We are even seeing repeat failures on
the cheaply made flyback transformers that they supply. Personally, having
seen the way TCE (RCA) builds things, the poor designs in terms of service
access in recently years and the typically mediocre to poor performance, I'd
take a Sony over and RCA in almost all cases, notwithstanding the dumb
things that Sony has done over the years.

Regardless, whatever your buy is going to break at some point. Hopefully it
will be at a point beyond what you consider to be a reasonable service life
of the product. Chances are pretty good that it won't. Make sure that you
have local service support for whatever product you buy that has the
experience and relationship with the manufacturer that will allow a good
service experience.

The trend is toward large service operations that employ techs that know
little more than how to swap boards. Out of warranty repairs are more
costly with this type of service and buyers should beware. Check out the
service options before you buy.

Leonard
March 18, 2005 12:06:58 PM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:25:18 -0500, "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com>

Not to mention all the people that buy a cheap TV and chuck it when it
breaks cuz a new one's about the same cost as the repairs.

What's a 27" set now versus the repair bill ?
November 3, 2011 3:40:22 AM

Quote:

Marty C wrote:
> First, what does everyone think about the Toshiba HD CRT Tube. I am looking
> at the 34 inch model. Are Toshiba's good, or would you recommend another
> brand.

You cannot go wrong with the 34" CRT Sony. It's great. I've had it
for over a year and love it.

I HAVE AN 30 IN 3 YRS OLD AND IT IS ALREADY BLINKING AND ROLLING 720P TOSHIBA 30 INCH TUBE AND WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER ONE
!