Verizon's answer to lawsuits?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Rather than argue over what folks' Bluetooth expectations are/should be,
and what the wording is on their website and what salesman/brochures say
about Bluetooth:

VerizonWireless will respond:

You have a 15 day trial period with the phone which should have given
you ample opportunity to discover any real/perceived/imagined
shortcomings. "We provide a 15-day satisfaction guarantee on any product
you buy from us."
16 answers Last reply
More about verizon answer lawsuits
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:56:34 -0500, Jack Zwick wrote
    (in article <jzwick3-59F336.07550015012005@news1.west.earthlink.net>):

    > Subject: Verizon's answer to lawsuits?
    > From: Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com>
    > Date: Today 8:56 AM
    > Newsgroups: alt.cellular.cingular, alt.cellular.verizon
    >
    > Rather than argue over what folks' Bluetooth expectations are/should be,
    > and what the wording is on their website and what salesman/brochures say
    > about Bluetooth:
    >
    > VerizonWireless will respond:
    >
    > You have a 15 day trial period with the phone which should have given
    > you ample opportunity to discover any real/perceived/imagined
    > shortcomings. "We provide a 15-day satisfaction guarantee on any product
    > you buy from us."

    FWIW: I've had sales folks tell me outright "Oh yea, feature X will
    definitely be support in 3-6 months ... once we get the bugs out of it."

    Usually they are blowing sunshine up your butt, but in this case if they did
    just they then they may have inadvertently created this problem.

    (I never asked them to put such remarks in writing because I knew they were
    full of it .... but if someone believed them at face value ....)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Just because they give a very short 15 day return policy, doesn't mean they
    can false advertise to the masses. Hell, if that's the case...I'll open up a
    business and false advertise all the products and services sell to make some
    volume sales and then when there's a problem or a dispute I'll respond with:

    "You have a 15 day trial period with the phone which should have given
    you ample opportunity to discover any real/perceived/imagined
    shortcomings. "We provide a 15-day satisfaction guarantee on any product
    you buy from us."

    Hey, all Verizon will do is give the opposition free cell phone service for
    life and there goes the case. Yes, that happens.

    > Rather than argue over what folks' Bluetooth expectations are/should be,
    > and what the wording is on their website and what salesman/brochures say
    > about Bluetooth:
    >
    > VerizonWireless will respond:
    >
    > You have a 15 day trial period with the phone which should have given
    > you ample opportunity to discover any real/perceived/imagined
    > shortcomings. "We provide a 15-day satisfaction guarantee on any product
    > you buy from us."
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Jack Zwick wrote:
    > Rather than argue over what folks' Bluetooth expectations are/should be,
    > and what the wording is on their website and what salesman/brochures say
    > about Bluetooth:
    >
    > VerizonWireless will respond:
    >
    > You have a 15 day trial period with the phone which should have given
    > you ample opportunity to discover any real/perceived/imagined
    > shortcomings. "We provide a 15-day satisfaction guarantee on any product
    > you buy from us."

    Well, it WOULD be pretty easy to determine whether the required features are
    present within 15 minutes. I agree with your comments elsewhere that Verizon is
    marketing BT capabilities of the Moto 710 in a misleading manner, but the
    opportunity does exist to test the phone, discover it's not what you need, and
    cancel or try another phone.

    "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    False advertising is illegal, no?
    People are buying this phone on the premise on what they've read...not what
    they think will happen when they test it.

    > Jack Zwick wrote:
    > > Rather than argue over what folks' Bluetooth expectations are/should be,
    > > and what the wording is on their website and what salesman/brochures say
    > > about Bluetooth:
    > >
    > > VerizonWireless will respond:
    > >
    > > You have a 15 day trial period with the phone which should have given
    > > you ample opportunity to discover any real/perceived/imagined
    > > shortcomings. "We provide a 15-day satisfaction guarantee on any product
    > > you buy from us."
    >
    > Well, it WOULD be pretty easy to determine whether the required features
    are
    > present within 15 minutes. I agree with your comments elsewhere that
    Verizon is
    > marketing BT capabilities of the Moto 710 in a misleading manner, but the
    > opportunity does exist to test the phone, discover it's not what you need,
    and
    > cancel or try another phone.
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    >
    > "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    > Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    > amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    xman@thedripper.com wrote:
    > False advertising is illegal, no?
    > People are buying this phone on the premise on what they've read...not what
    > they think will happen when they test it.

    If you can return the phone without penalty, what's the problem?

    If you can return the phone and not be out any money or be locked into a
    contract, what have you lost?

    Yes, I think Verizon should fix its advertising. However, they do at least give
    you an out.

    "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    And for those that didn't have enough time to test their hardware out should
    suffer based upon that false advertising? You seem very loose and very
    passive about Verizon's false advertising..just as long as there's an out
    isn't good enough for some one that missed the very short 15day deadline.

    > xman@thedripper.com wrote:
    > > False advertising is illegal, no?
    > > People are buying this phone on the premise on what they've read...not
    what
    > > they think will happen when they test it.
    >
    > If you can return the phone without penalty, what's the problem?
    >
    > If you can return the phone and not be out any money or be locked into a
    > contract, what have you lost?
    >
    > Yes, I think Verizon should fix its advertising. However, they do at least
    give
    > you an out.
    >
    > --
    > JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
    > Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    >
    > "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    > Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    > amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    xman@thedripper.com wrote:
    > And for those that didn't have enough time to test their hardware

    How long does it take to set up something like this?

    GMAFB.

    "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    In news:10um8bltb2ft295@corp.supernews.com,
    xman@thedripper.com <xman@thedripper.com> typed:
    > And for those that didn't have enough time to test their hardware out
    > should suffer based upon that false advertising? You seem very loose
    > and very passive about Verizon's false advertising..just as long as
    > there's an out isn't good enough for some one that missed the very
    > short 15day deadline.
    >

    > "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    >> xman@thedripper.com wrote:
    >>> False advertising is illegal, no?
    >>> People are buying this phone on the premise on what they've
    >>> read...not what they think will happen when they test it.
    >>
    >> If you can return the phone without penalty, what's the problem?
    >>
    >> If you can return the phone and not be out any money or be locked
    >> into a contract, what have you lost?
    >>
    >> Yes, I think Verizon should fix its advertising. However, they do at
    >> least give you an out.
    >>
    >> --
    >> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET
    >> (4638) Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP:
    >> 0xE3AE35ED
    >>
    >> "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the
    >> Victor Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the
    >> unusually large amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter
    >> (January 12th, 2005)

    When we signed up for VZW AC and got new phones - we made full use of the 15
    day trial. We planned ahead so we could try the phones locally - then took
    a three day raod trip to check where we go most often. That way we were
    fairly sure that VZW AC would work where we wanted to use our phones - and -
    got to do a lot of visiting with friends and family!
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    In <10uljevl4l7g27c@corp.supernews.com> on Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:26:06 -0500,
    <xman@thedripper.com> wrote:

    >False advertising is illegal, no?

    Yes, but this isn't that.

    >People are buying this phone on the premise on what they've read...not what
    >they think will happen when they test it.

    I see no evidence of that.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    In <10um8bltb2ft295@corp.supernews.com> on Sun, 16 Jan 2005 21:22:42 -0500,
    <xman@thedripper.com> wrote:

    >And for those that didn't have enough time to test their hardware out should
    >suffer based upon that false advertising?

    Yes.

    >You seem very loose and very
    >passive about Verizon's false advertising..just as long as there's an out
    >isn't good enough for some one that missed the very short 15day deadline.

    If they can't do that, then don't buy.

    >"Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    >> xman@thedripper.com wrote:
    >> > False advertising is illegal, no?
    >> > People are buying this phone on the premise on what they've read...not
    >what
    >> > they think will happen when they test it.
    >>
    >> If you can return the phone without penalty, what's the problem?
    >>
    >> If you can return the phone and not be out any money or be locked into a
    >> contract, what have you lost?
    >>
    >> Yes, I think Verizon should fix its advertising. However, they do at least
    >give
    >> you an out.
    >>
    >> --
    >> JustThe.net - Apple Valley, CA - http://JustThe.net/ - 888.480.4NET (4638)
    >> Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / sjsobol@JustThe.net / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
    >>
    >> "In case anyone was wondering, that big glowing globe above the Victor
    >> Valley is the sun." -Victorville _Daily Press_ on the unusually large
    >> amount of rain the Southland has gotten this winter (January 12th, 2005)

  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    > "John Navas" <jnavas@sonic.net> wrote in message

    > > In <10uljevl4l7g27c@corp.supernews.com> on Sun, 16 Jan 2005
    > 15:26:06 -0500,
    > > <xman@thedripper.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >False advertising is illegal, no?
    > >
    > > Yes, but this isn't that.

    Thats what a trial of the lawsuit will determine, not your
    pontification.

    > > >People are buying this phone on the premise on what they've read...not
    > what
    > > >they think will happen when they test it.
    > >
    > > I see no evidence of that.

    The lawsuit is evidence of that.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    In article <KzJHd.2935$m31.36642@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    John Navas <jnavas@sonic.net> wrote:

    > In <10uumg3kst0e23b@corp.supernews.com> on Thu, 20 Jan 2005 02:13:05 -0500,
    > <xman@thedripper.com> wrote:
    >
    > >"John Navas" <jnavas@sonic.net> wrote in message
    >
    > >> I see no evidence of that.
    >
    > >From your responses, you're just a dick. Plain and simple.
    >
    > From your responses, you're just a rude jerk. Plain and simple.
    >
    > >You really could
    > >care less if Verizon Wireless advertises certain functions of a Bluetooth
    > >phone, but then cripple those same functions it advertises.
    >
    > It isn't advertising any crippled functions.
    >
    > >If you want to
    > >actually blame the consumer because they didn't test it within 15 days and
    > >completely disregard the false advertising still stands then you're pretty
    > >much on the side of big brother and really wouldn't stick up for anyone if
    > >they had a problem.
    >
    > There is no false advertising.

    Thats what the lawsuit will determine, not your pontification.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    In <jzwick3-C47601.06462020012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Thu, 20 Jan
    2005 12:46:27 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >In article <KzJHd.2935$m31.36642@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    > John Navas <jnavas@sonic.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> In <10uumg3kst0e23b@corp.supernews.com> on Thu, 20 Jan 2005 02:13:05 -0500,
    >> <xman@thedripper.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"John Navas" <jnavas@sonic.net> wrote in message

    >> >From your responses, you're just a dick. Plain and simple.
    >>
    >> From your responses, you're just a rude jerk. Plain and simple.
    >>
    >> >You really could
    >> >care less if Verizon Wireless advertises certain functions of a Bluetooth
    >> >phone, but then cripple those same functions it advertises.
    >>
    >> It isn't advertising any crippled functions.
    >>
    >> >If you want to
    >> >actually blame the consumer because they didn't test it within 15 days and
    >> >completely disregard the false advertising still stands then you're pretty
    >> >much on the side of big brother and really wouldn't stick up for anyone if
    >> >they had a problem.
    >>
    >> There is no false advertising.
    >
    >Thats what the lawsuit will determine, not your pontification.

    Fair enough: Thus far there hasn't been a showing of anything even remotely
    close to false advertising, just vague claims. You can only pursue a case for
    misrepresentation by showing: (1) statements with alleged misrepresentation
    and (2) showing the representations in those statements to be false or
    misleading. Since Verizon has disclosed what the Bluetooth implementation
    would do, and since there hasn't been any showing of actual misrepresentation,
    there can't be a case for misrepresentation.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    In <10v41ls88afgd06@corp.supernews.com> on Sat, 22 Jan 2005 02:54:34 -0500,
    <xman@thedripper.com> wrote:

    >You're still an idiot and really do sound like a broken record. At least I
    >put a little spin on some of my posts and actually have a thought behind to
    >some of the things I say. Idiot, if the lawsuit does pass and it does become
    >some thing...what in the world are you going to say since all you seem to be
    >able to say is "there is no false advertising". I know...you'll be able to
    >say nothing since you really can't think on your own and you're actually too
    >scared to even consider the fact that you could be wrong about some thing
    >publicly.
    >I guess time will tell....

    It will indeed. I'm willing to bet that this doesn't even get certified as a
    class action. Care to take me up on that? ;-)

  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    In <jzwick3-347947.06450420012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Thu, 20 Jan
    2005 12:45:11 GMT, Jack "FUDMEISTER" Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >> "John Navas" <jnavas@sonic.net> wrote in message
    >

    >> > In <10uljevl4l7g27c@corp.supernews.com> on Sun, 16 Jan 2005
    >> 15:26:06 -0500,

    >> > Yes, but this isn't that.
    >
    >Thats what a trial of the lawsuit will determine, not your
    >pontification.

    You can only pursue a case for misrepresentation by showing: (1) statements
    with alleged misrepresentation and (2) showing the representations in those
    statements to be false or misleading. Since Verizon has disclosed what the
    Bluetooth implementation would do, and since there hasn't been any showing of
    actual misrepresentation, there can't be a case for misrepresentation.

    >> what
    >> >
    >> > I see no evidence of that.
    >
    >The lawsuit is evidence of that.

    A lawsuit isn't evidence of anything.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

    "A little learning is a dangerous thing." [Alexander Pope]
    "It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
    than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." [Mark Twain]
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Of course we all know what will happen. Everything will settle out of the
    court system because Verizon Wireless doesn't want the bad publicity.

    > In <jzwick3-C47601.06462020012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Thu, 20 Jan
    > 2005 12:46:27 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <KzJHd.2935$m31.36642@typhoon.sonic.net>,
    > > John Navas <jnavas@sonic.net> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> In <10uumg3kst0e23b@corp.supernews.com> on Thu, 20 Jan 2005
    02:13:05 -0500,

    > >> From your responses, you're just a rude jerk. Plain and simple.

    Bluetooth

    > >> It isn't advertising any crippled functions.

    > >> There is no false advertising.
    > >
    > >Thats what the lawsuit will determine, not your pontification.
    >
    > Fair enough: Thus far there hasn't been a showing of anything even
    remotely
    > close to false advertising, just vague claims. You can only pursue a case
    for
    > misrepresentation by showing: (1) statements with alleged
    misrepresentation
    > and (2) showing the representations in those statements to be false or
    > misleading. Since Verizon has disclosed what the Bluetooth implementation

    > would do, and since there hasn't been any showing of actual
    misrepresentation,
    > there can't be a case for misrepresentation.

    > John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular>

Cingular Bluetooth Verizon Internet Service Providers