Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 7, 2007 4:27:59 PM

My recent bought pc specs:
Cpu: Intel 820d
Mobo: ECS X300 Based
HDD 1x200Gb
RAM: 2GB DDR2 533Mhz
GPU: Integrated ATI X200 128MB SHARED!

My pc has gone real slow especially with all the updates and programs installed! Games are slow which is down to the GPU. Is ther anything else that needs upgrading? apart from a Dedicated GPU

More about : problems slow

July 7, 2007 4:34:40 PM

How much space on your HDD is free?
July 7, 2007 5:19:35 PM

You should have bought ddr2 at 800mhz wich was at the same price if i aint mistaken.
And i really think you need a video card, and the intel pentium d was a wrong choice you would have been better with an athlon 64 x2, the netburst architecture is really bad for games.
Related resources
July 7, 2007 7:42:37 PM

I have 128GB remaining disk space.
Plus I didnt have a choice of buying a DDR2 @ 800mhz as it was a HP PC. Do you reckon a faster ram chip is needed though? will it speed up the pc quite abit. Moreover I didnt know that "intels netburst architecture was really bad for games."
July 7, 2007 8:22:25 PM

well you could try a few things

1- Disk defragment
2- Disk clean
3- Spyware scans
4- Virus scans
5- Delete temp files
6- Sort your registry out
July 7, 2007 8:44:37 PM

Quote:
well you could try a few things

1- Disk defragment
2- Disk clean
3- Spyware scans
4- Virus scans
5- Delete temp files
6- Sort your registry out

I do all these points atleast once a month!

As my pc has a integrated gpu it shares the pcs memory therefore it slows the ram chip even more from what it is capable of (ddr2-533mhz).
1) Is this true? or am i talking crap
2) Is ther any good solution to a faster pc??
3) Plus would a external hdd help speed up the pc?
a c 259 U Graphics card
July 7, 2007 8:49:31 PM

Your slowdown is likely caused by spyware, virus, or other junk software. Don't upgrade until you get it fixed. No spyware program seems to catch it all, run several different ones. Also look at all the tasks that are running. Make certain you know what they are, and stop those that are not useful to you. HP likes to install bloatware that you don't really need.
2gb of memory is enough. The speed is a minor factor.
An external HD is a good idea for backup, but not for normal operations.
Integrated graphics can handle only simple games. Any vga card over $100 that you can add will make a major difference in displaying anything that moves.
July 7, 2007 8:50:40 PM

Quote:
I have 128GB remaining disk space.
Plus I didnt have a choice of buying a DDR2 @ 800mhz as it was a HP PC. Do you reckon a faster ram chip is needed though? will it speed up the pc quite abit. Moreover I didnt know that "intels netburst architecture was really bad for games."

Well it is, netburst was a really crappy architecture, thank god we're past that :roll:
July 7, 2007 9:06:13 PM

'geofelt' - you mentioned hp bloatware I believe this is the major breakdown to my pc but do you think i shuld reinstall windows mce 2005 using hps bloatware discs or windows xp sp2 discs?
a c 259 U Graphics card
July 7, 2007 9:22:27 PM

In the long run, a clean install of windows would be best if you have a windows cd and product code. I don't know if any of the supplied HP disks have anything necessary or desireable for you. Before doing this, look at the task manager, and deactivate anything you find suspicious, one at a time. See if there is a magic change. Look for any installed programs that you don't want, and uninstall them. It is often hard to identify these things, and sometimes even harder to get rid of them. Google can be a big help here. Above all, protect yourself with backup of critical data, and take system checkpoints before any change.
July 7, 2007 9:30:10 PM

Quote:
'geofelt' - you mentioned hp bloatware I believe this is the major breakdown to my pc but do you think i shuld reinstall windows mce 2005 using hps bloatware discs or windows xp sp2 discs?
Unless you have a retail version of XP SP2 that is not on another computer you can't. Check for spyware/virus as was said already. Also go into add remove programs and uninstall all HP BS that you don't need. Go into services.msc for HP bloat that you don't want running and disable the service. Go into msconfig startup tab and uncheck anything that you don't need running on boot. Things like quicktime, MS office quick start, acrobat reader quick start etc.
July 7, 2007 9:32:59 PM

ive got pretty much the same system that you do at home... i popped in my 7800gt and it ran perfectly... all you need is a better video card, to run games better.
July 7, 2007 9:34:04 PM

You could also hit ctrl-alt-del and processes tab and look for something that is hogging CPU cycles or memory that can be deactivated.
July 7, 2007 9:34:21 PM

If my computer takes a big dump and spyware sweepers and antivirus scanners dont work. I just back up my HDD and reformat. Never fails then if you decide you want more power than upgrading components might not be a bad idea.

What kind of games are you playing? I have an old HP with a P4 2.53GHZ 512DDR RAM that plays counter strike 1.6 alright but thats about as good as it gets. I can't imagine your PC being worse than my HP.
July 7, 2007 9:36:25 PM

Quote:
ive got pretty much the same system that you do at home... i popped in my 7800gt and it ran perfectly... all you need is a better video card, to run games better.
Absolutely right, for games the on board graphics won't cut it. He also said his computer was running very slowly so he may have other problems.

Edit @OP If you do add a graphics card make sure you have a slot. HP, Dell etc. are famous for not providing them on budget PCs.
July 10, 2007 8:20:32 PM

I play new games like nfs carbon and other racing games plus adventurous games like GTA on my completly slow X200 onboard GPU on low settings. Im waiting for the next generation of nvidia gpu cards as they could b selling more powerful and power saving gpu cards as they would wen in comparison of their previous generations cards.
'pchoi04' you said, I can't imagine your PC being worse than my HP.' - well it can b as my pc was full of completly unused programs and just full of rubbish!
After changing a couple of settings alongside putting a couple of tweaks and everything; my pc seems much better at half the things like loading windows and that but i will b reinstalling xp sp2 or windows mce 2005 once again later on.

Im wondering wot would b the best gpu card for my hp pc:
300 watts psu
100-127v/8A
200-240V/4A

I think my psu is quite bad but on the other hand when im using the eXtreme Outer Vision website to calculate the wattage consumption i am able to put a 7600gt card into my pc with quite a bit of wattageremaining. BTW peepz i have a pci-express card!

Wot would u lot suggest of being the best card for me at the moment without getting a new psu plus without overclocking?
!