Best AM2 Motherboard to couple with Geforce 6200

aromal

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Hello,

Can anyone suggest me a good mid-end motherboard which supports AM2 platform ? I will be starting off with a low power processor like Athlon X2 3800+ Brisbane and have already a GeForce 6200 with me. The sytem will house a total of 3 harddrives a 7200 ATA and two SATAs. In future, I plan to add a good sound board and mpeg2 capture card like WinTV. I have read many of the topics posted by you guys and am quite confused being new to handpicking components. I forgot to add, I would like to learn overclocking and need a system which makes less sound, overall. Thank you all for your replies.

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
There are SO MANY choices available, and you haven't given us much infomation to narrow the search. The only thing we really have to work with, is you need something with AM2, at least 2 SATA ports, and passive cooling (for silence)....but that still leave hundreds of options. Do you need something small (m-ATX)? Do you you have any future plans for SLI? Is high quality onboard sound important? Do you have a specific brand you like? Do you need any legacy ports (ie serial or parrallel)? How many network and/or network connections do you need? Do you have a specific budget, or you you just want the cheapest option you can find?

The ASUS M2N32-SLI Premium Vista Edition has everything your heart could desire, and then some.

aromal

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Sorry for not being specific, the info that is lacking is added below,

1. Form factor ATX
2. I dont have legacy systems to connect to this system
3. No plans for SLI (Single PCIe would suffice)
4. High quality onboard sound is not important
5. Overclocking desired
6. Ethernet 100MBps + Wifi (If possibe), otherwise I can buy a PCI wireless card.
7. As far as budget is concerned, I am looking at a midrange MoB which is rock solid and I can use for the next 3 years without any worries, just upgrade the memory.
8. As far as brand is concerned I like ASUS as there has been lot of good things heard about their systems. I am flexible towards this and at the end, the board should serve the purpose.

I read somewhere that the entire potential of the PCIe card wont be available if the bus doesnt have the required width. Is that correct ?