varogus

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
hello everyone i have an issue with my computer, which is obvious, well i installed a new memory stick and ive tried to reboot with out it the new stick but it says, "boot disk failure, insert system disk" does that mean the windows xp disk or the motherboard disk? i have an asus motherboard

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
It has to do with your HDD. Just go into your BIOS and point towards whatever hard disk you installed your OS on. What probably happened is that your BIOS reset itself to default.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

What's not obvious is what you actually did. So, at a guess, you inserted a new 'stick' of ram, and then rebooted, and got a boot failure, then removed the new ram and still have a boot failure? I hope you have a good recent backup.... Maybe you'll be lucky and a bios reset will fix it, but I'd not get my hopes up.

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Like it was stated before, check the connections to you hard drive (both power and IDE/Sata), and then check to see if it shows up in your BIOS. If it does then point to it to boot after floppy and CD/dvd drive. If it doesn't show up then reset your Bios, your mother board manual, or you computer builder can tell you how. This should fix most of the causes.