Retail copy?

akaimetsuki

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
Hello, I am waiting on my parts to come in and its my first build, and since I am trying to save on money, my friend said he can burn me a copy of windows 7, or I can wait and save up for a retail version of the same thing for $115. The thing is that I am not sure how the burned copy would work out, what am I opting out for if I take the burned copy over the retail?
Also if I do take the burned but switch over to a retail copy would there be any side effects in the future?
Thanks for taking the time to read this, I am just wondering since this is my first build and I want it to work out well for a few years at least.

You'll neveer get a smooth ride unless you use the only copy in existence of a genuine Windows system that you bought yourself - whatever anyone else tells you. If you enjoy reinstalling your OS, go ahead and have a fake burned but is your time really worth the effort.

Are you not entitled to an upgrade version for having used XP or Vista on another machine? If you put that old system beyond use, it could save you money on a W7 Upgrade.

hermz1337

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Well on Windows XP im pretty sure a burned copy without a unique CD KEY will not be able to install updates, dont know if its the same for windows 7 though, and the security holes you leave open by not updating is in no way shape or form good for the computers security. An OEM copy of windows 7 is only 100$, i dont see it as worth the risk trying to install a copied form of Windows. All of this is suspect though as I have never installed a copied version myself.