Decorative wood case mod using Via C7 mini-ITX MB

terracode

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Currently runs around 33 deg C average with temp to 50 deg C while streaming HD content. Works great and has been running for almost 24 hours now.

I may cut a hole in the bottom, place a screen to increase cooling and , increase the feet height.

What temp do you feel is running into the danger zone?

VasR

Currently runs around 33 deg C average with temp to 50 deg C while streaming HD content. Works great and has been running for almost 24 hours now.

I may cut a hole in the bottom, place a screen to increase cooling and , increase the feet height.

What temp do you feel is running into the danger zone?

VasR

33c idle is excellent. Great that the system runs that cool. A bit surprised at those temps.

terracode

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
The Via C7 processor only uses 20 watts at full power and throttles back to ~1.5 watts when not active. It is supposed to change power modes very fast. I had run some tests with the board in a std mini-ITX case with the CPU fan disabled and a case fan blowing on the CPU/MB and it was running very well within tolerances.

The Via C7 processor only uses 20 watts at full power and throttles back to ~1.5 watts when not active. It is supposed to change power modes very fast. I had run some tests with the board in a std mini-ITX case with the CPU fan disabled and a case fan blowing on the CPU/MB and it was running very well within tolerances.

So with 20 watts of power running the procesor, would 33c idle be considered running hot? When I looked at the wood case I thought, 'does it run cool?"

My Thermaltake Mozart has room for an additional mini atx board besides running the full P5B deluxe. The case houses two systems essentially. . I've looked at mini atx's in the the past.

terracode

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
I am not sure if 33c would be too hot for this application. I'd like it to run cooler. Any ideas are welcome. One thing I have to do is to find a short rounded IDE cable that doesn't block the fan. For future units, I may add a second fan hole so that I can run both fans slower to reduce noise and possibly get better cooling.

terracode

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
I recently upgraded the 'Book Server' to use the new Intel D945GCLF2 motherboard which sports a Atom 330 dual core processor. The upgrade also added ability to add external e-SATA drives to the Windows Home Server machine. So far the system has been running without issues for the past 3 weeks. In the article I compare it to the previously installed Via C7 motherboard.

http://terracode.com/Book_Server_V2/Book_Server_V2_Project.html

VasR

Very very nice!

Short round IDE cables are available online from several vendors. I purchased a 6 inch cable for a case mod. Unfortunately I can't remember which vendor because I am growing old disgracefully and I forget things. For example, I know I am supposed to like girls but I can't remember why!

TRENDING THREADS