Problems with DirectShow

Freezeron

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Hi guys, I have a really bad issue with the directshow of microsoft. I play games (which requires DirectX and some that don't), the versions that uses DirectX are getting on hang at the startup (showing their splash screen and freezing with no crash message even after letting it breath over).

Getting DxDiag to work is getting me to crash at the 2/3 of the checking procedure and hangs, if I force shut it down and restart the dxdiag, it's telling me that a problem occured during the check and asks if I want to skip the directshow check.

Things already tried:
1. Drivers on/off (also 2 or 3 versions old tried) and cleaned.
2. DirectX re-installed (strange thing is that when running the install it keeps updating files everytime).
3. All the updates from MS are up to date.
4. Des-installed k-lite codec pack and re-installed (two versions prior too).

Freezeron

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Thanks man, but as supposed, I have already tried these two.

And as said previously, the downloadable setup is always updating the directx files even when installed previously and the web setup is always saying that the directx components are up to date.
I know "almost" the source of the error but it's going too far into the debugging to sort it out, as I don't have the time to do it and neither the format that is almost imposed in this case...

P.S. With a program like DSFMgr, I can see some that some codecs have a status unknown but they all are from MS and are more likely to have advanced privileges...

Did this just start happening? If so, can you do a system restore to a point when it did work? DirectX is a real PITA to debug and fix. Most times it takes a reinstall of the OS to fix it as many files are core to the OS.

Freezeron

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Two are most possible source of this mess as I did install them at the same time.
1. K-lite Codec Pack 7.60.
2. Drivers for nVidia 280.26
The problem is that I worked and played on the PC after install them both and the computer worked like a charm and without a hiccup overnight. But the day after was another day, and the pc started this strange behavior at morning.

Awfully there is not a single restore point on the os as I absolutely hate this system for being to vaguely designed (maybe not for good, but that's an opinion as a tech, it's convenient fro customers but not for me)...