trader3167

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
I need help in setting up a new computer. In my old setup I have a hard dive with the OS and all other files. I also have 2 removable hard drives in a removable enclosure which contains a backup of the OS and all other files. One hard drive is stored in the computer and backup daily and the other is stored off site. Every week I switch them. I am doing this now with IDE hard drives without RAID. The new hard drives are SATA I would like to be able to hot swap the dives in the enclosure. I believe to hot swap I will need RAID but I am not sure if I need RAID 0 or 1 I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 mother board any help in setting this up would be greatly appreciated.

trader3167

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Why should I use in ESATA over the internal enclosure that I have which are SATA enclosures. Will the ones that I have not work?

Thanks

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

RAID and hot swap are not backup solutions, they are there for failover if you lose a disk.

The simple + best solution is just to back up to your external hard disk every time and keep that off site. Pretty straightforward and secure.

If you already have a SATA enclosure, use that. You can swap the hard drives with SATA hard drives in your computer if they are an exact clone and not an image. To make an exact clone you can use Acronis True Image.

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Your removable sata enclosures will work identically to an eSATA enclosure. You do not need raid. Ensure that the drives are configured in software in the OS to be removable drives to ensure that no data loss occurs when you hot swap them.