HDTV / Pioneer PRO-610HD / Newbie Question

Is the TV or NBC?

I've had the Pioneer set for quite a few years now but am just arriving at
the HD party. The other night I was watching West Wing for the first time
in HD (KNTV 11.1 in the Bay Area). The framing appeared to be just a bit
off - the there wasn't much headroom in any of the shots. I switched over
to the other input to watch the signal coming from my SD tivo. Low and
behold the HD picture was having severe vertical minor horizontal problems.
Where the SD version had a few "inches" between the actors heads and the top
of the frame the HD version was cut off right at the tops of their heads.
There was a small amount of cropping on the sides.

So... how to determine if it's the TV or the feed? Any guidance would be
greatly appreciated...
Dan
16 answers Last reply
More about hdtv pioneer 610hd newbie question

    You left out one essential element - the hdtv tuner. What are you using?
    How is it connected? How is its output configured?
    Another alternative to test other HD broadcasts on other stations the same
    way... If you don't see the flaws on a CBS HD broadcast, then you know it
    was NBC. Check out the HD basketball this weekend as a good testing
    resource.

    "Dan" <d-nospam-wilks@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > Is the TV or NBC?
    >
    > I've had the Pioneer set for quite a few years now but am just arriving at
    > the HD party. The other night I was watching West Wing for the first time
    > in HD (KNTV 11.1 in the Bay Area). The framing appeared to be just a bit
    > off - the there wasn't much headroom in any of the shots. I switched over
    > to the other input to watch the signal coming from my SD tivo. Low and
    > behold the HD picture was having severe vertical minor horizontal
    > problems. Where the SD version had a few "inches" between the actors heads
    > and the top of the frame the HD version was cut off right at the tops of
    > their heads. There was a small amount of cropping on the sides.
    >
    > So... how to determine if it's the TV or the feed? Any guidance would be
    > greatly appreciated...
    > Dan

    "Dan" <d-nospam-wilks@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > Is the TV or NBC?
    >
    > I've had the Pioneer set for quite a few years now but am just arriving at
    > the HD party. The other night I was watching West Wing for the first time
    > in HD (KNTV 11.1 in the Bay Area). The framing appeared to be just a bit
    > off - the there wasn't much headroom in any of the shots. I switched over
    > to the other input to watch the signal coming from my SD tivo. Low and
    > behold the HD picture was having severe vertical minor horizontal
    > problems. Where the SD version had a few "inches" between the actors heads
    > and the top of the frame the HD version was cut off right at the tops of
    > their heads. There was a small amount of cropping on the sides.

    How did the aspect ratio look in the HD version and the SD version? Did
    people appear anatomically correct or was there distortion? What aspect
    ratio modes where you in for this comparison.

    I believe on the Pioneer Elite series you should be in FULL mode when
    watching the HD source. Difficult to fully diagnose without you listing your
    television mode, tuner and tuner mode etc, but it sounds like you might have
    had your HD tuner set for a 4:3 television and your Pioneer Elite in ZOOM
    mode. Go through and check out all your settings. Your tuner should be told
    that you have a 16:9 television and your television should be in full mode
    when watching output from your properly set tuner.

    Charles Tomaras
    Seattle, WA

    Obviously I missed the thin line between not enough and too much
    information...

    TV as I mentioned is a Pioneer Eliete PRO-610HD

    Tuner 1 is an HD DirecTivo HR10-250
    Connection between the two is component video
    Source was OTA KNTV 11.1, the Tivo was set to 1080i, TV in FULL mode (same
    prob in 420p FULL)

    Tuner 2 is a SD DirecTvo (Sony T-60?)
    Connection is s-video
    Source was KNTV 11 DirecTV feed.
    Modes: NORMAL & ZOOM

    Aspect ratio looked pretty good from all sources & modes. (Although Josh's
    head seems a bit long and skinny in both SD and HD.)

    From the SD Tivo in ZOOM mode of the tv (width & height stretched equally)
    the picture is cropped about 1.5" from the top (and a similar but unmeasured
    amount from the bottom). I have to set the screen position to -8 to see the
    top of the frame and +6 to see the bottom. The aspect ratio appears good in
    this mode.

    (This has always been the case with this TV with shows like West Wing, ER,
    and Enterprise. Are these shows truly 16:9? Is the TV truly 16:9?)

    From the HD Tivo in 1080i (and 420p) the pictures are cropped slightly more
    than that. I'm loosing about 1" off the top and bottom of the frame
    compared with 480i zoomed mode. In total that is 2.5" that I'm loosing just
    off the top of the frame.

    As an aside I did the same comparison with Joey (yea, I know) after I wrote
    the first post. The aspect ratio looked spot-on. There was some minor
    vertical cropping (about 1/2" off the top & bottom), nothing like on West
    Wing though.

    Is this normal? I've learned to live with the cropping of letterboxed shows
    in SD but didn't expect even more cropping with HD. Without thinking about
    it much, I expected less cropping. Is there anything I can/should do?

    Thanks again,
    Dan

    > Obviously I missed the thin line between not enough and too much
    > information...
    >
    > TV as I mentioned is a Pioneer Eliete PRO-610HD
    >
    > Tuner 1 is an HD DirecTivo HR10-250
    > Connection between the two is component video
    > Source was OTA KNTV 11.1, the Tivo was set to 1080i, TV in FULL mode (same
    > prob in 420p FULL)
    >
    > Tuner 2 is a SD DirecTvo (Sony T-60?)
    > Connection is s-video
    > Source was KNTV 11 DirecTV feed.
    > Modes: NORMAL & ZOOM
    >
    > Aspect ratio looked pretty good from all sources & modes. (Although
    > Josh's head seems a bit long and skinny in both SD and HD.)
    >
    > From the SD Tivo in ZOOM mode of the tv (width & height stretched equally)
    > the picture is cropped about 1.5" from the top (and a similar but
    > unmeasured amount from the bottom). I have to set the screen position
    > to -8 to see the top of the frame and +6 to see the bottom. The aspect
    > ratio appears good in this mode.
    >
    > (This has always been the case with this TV with shows like West Wing, ER,
    > and Enterprise. Are these shows truly 16:9? Is the TV truly 16:9?)
    >
    > From the HD Tivo in 1080i (and 420p) the pictures are cropped slightly
    > more than that. I'm loosing about 1" off the top and bottom of the frame
    > compared with 480i zoomed mode. In total that is 2.5" that I'm loosing
    > just off the top of the frame.
    >
    > As an aside I did the same comparison with Joey (yea, I know) after I
    > wrote the first post. The aspect ratio looked spot-on. There was some
    > minor vertical cropping (about 1/2" off the top & bottom), nothing like on
    > West Wing though.
    >
    > Is this normal? I've learned to live with the cropping of letterboxed
    > shows in SD but didn't expect even more cropping with HD. Without
    > thinking about it much, I expected less cropping. Is there anything I
    > can/should do?

    Did you by chance RECORD West Wing on your HD Tivo? If so, why don't you
    just screw around a bit and try every permutation of aspect ratio that your
    your Tivo and Television will allow and see if it makes sense somehow.

    The Pioneer will ONLY show 480p (not 420!) & 1080i in its FULL mode. All
    other "screen modes" are locked out. So you can't do a "zoom" or "cinema
    wide" version of either of those signals.

    The HD tivo should only be used in normal for HD viewing. No reason to
    "zoom" an HD picture.

    West wing transmits a 16:9 picture EVEN on a SD station. It will have black
    borders top and bottom THIS IS NOT STANDARD PRACTICE.

    In other words, West Wing is the exception, not the rule. Watch west wing
    on a HD station, and the black borders disappear on your 16:9 tv.
    I never watch ER, but I think it might be the same deal.

    In short, I think your concerns are the fault of the station/network...not
    your set or your tivo. Next time you want to compare, do it on a CBS HD/SD
    program....they don't use these flakey pseudo 16:9 formats on their SD
    programming.

    "curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
    > The Pioneer will ONLY show 480p (not 420!) & 1080i in its FULL mode. All
    > other "screen modes" are locked out. So you can't do a "zoom" or "cinema
    > wide" version of either of those signals.
    >
    > The HD tivo should only be used in normal for HD viewing. No reason to
    > "zoom" an HD picture.
    >
    > West wing transmits a 16:9 picture EVEN on a SD station. It will have
    > black borders top and bottom THIS IS NOT STANDARD PRACTICE.
    >
    > In other words, West Wing is the exception, not the rule. Watch west wing
    > on a HD station, and the black borders disappear on your 16:9 tv.
    > I never watch ER, but I think it might be the same deal.
    >
    > In short, I think your concerns are the fault of the station/network...not
    > your set or your tivo. Next time you want to compare, do it on a CBS
    > HD/SD program....they don't use these flakey pseudo 16:9 formats on their
    > SD programming.

    What is flakey or psuedo about broadcasting a program shot in 16:9
    letterboxed to it's intended original aspect ratio? What's flakey is people
    expecting a program's aspect ratios to be reformatted to fit their
    television.

> [...]

    >>> ratio modes where you in for this comparison.
    >>>
    >>> I believe on the Pioneer Elite series you should be in FULL mode when
    >>> watching the HD source. Difficult to fully diagnose without you listing
    >>> your television mode, tuner and tuner mode etc, but it sounds like you
    >>> might have had your HD tuner set for a 4:3 television and your Pioneer
    >>> Elite in ZOOM mode. Go through and check out all your settings. Your
    >>> tuner should be told that you have a 16:9 television and your television
    >>> should be in full mode when watching output from your properly set
    >>> tuner.
    >>>
    >>> Charles Tomaras
    >>> Seattle, WA
    >>>

    > The Pioneer will ONLY show 480p (not 420!) & 1080i in its FULL mode. All
    > other "screen modes" are locked out. So you can't do a "zoom" or "cinema
    > wide" version of either of those signals.

    Yes, I know. I am zooming the SD version of WW (recorded on a SD Tivo) and
    comparing that to HD version that was recorded on the HD Tivo.

    > The HD tivo should only be used in normal for HD viewing. No reason to
    > "zoom" an HD picture.

    Right, in fact I can't zoom an HD picture.

    > West wing transmits a 16:9 picture EVEN on a SD station. It will have
    > black borders top and bottom THIS IS NOT STANDARD PRACTICE.

    Right.

    > In other words, West Wing is the exception, not the rule. Watch west wing
    > on a HD station, and the black borders disappear on your 16:9 tv.
    > I never watch ER, but I think it might be the same deal.

    Yes but the HD version looses 2 1/2" off the top and bottom of the frame
    compared to the SD version. For example on the SD version I can see the
    tops of people heads and space above them. In HD the top of their heads are
    cut off.

    > In short, I think your concerns are the fault of the station/network...not
    > your set or your tivo. Next time you want to compare, do it on a CBS
    > HD/SD program....they don't use these flakey pseudo 16:9 formats on their
    > SD programming.

    I'm just wondering if my set is 'zooming' in on HD content. Would this be
    the visible symptom of overscan?

    Anyone else seeing this type of cropping on these fake 16:9 shows when
    watching them in HD?

    "Dan" <d-nospam-wilks@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:0WPYd.17249>
    > Anyone else seeing this type of cropping on these fake 16:9 shows when
    > watching them in HD?

    West Wing is not a "fake" 16:9 show. It's been shot in widescreen 1.78:1
    since the year 2000.
    see: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0200276/technical

    Everyone, a sincere thank you for your help and patience. I wish I
    understood more about this than I do.

    My takeaway from this is...
    - West Wing is shot in 16:9
    - One would hope that NBC letterboxes it into 16:9 for the 4:3 SD broadcast
    - When watching the SD version on a 16:9 TV with the picture "zoomed"
    (equally stretched in all directions)
    no part of the image should be cropped
    - When watching the HD version of the same 16:9 program it should be
    identical (except in aesthetics) to the zoomed
    SD version.

    What I am seeing is...
    - When viewing WW SD in zoomed mode I loose 1.5 inches (as measured on my
    TV) off the top. That is, the top
    of the image is virtually 1.5 inches above the top of my TV. I can change
    the vertical alignment of the picture and
    measure from the real top of the image to where the top is when the
    picture is centered. Similar problems on the
    bottom too.
    - When viewing WW HD I loose an additional 1 inch off the top. That is, the
    top of the image is virtually 2.5 inches
    above the top of my TV.

    Assuming that neither NBC nor the HD DirecTivo are to blame the only other
    possibilities are
    - My TV is seriously miscalibrated
    - My TV isn't truly 16:9
    - I'm still missing something

    Hopefully it's 1 or 3 since they're something I can change.

    Again - thank you all,

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 07:59:34 GMT, "Dan" <d-nospam-wilks@pacbell.net>
    wrote:

    >Everyone, a sincere thank you for your help and patience. I wish I
    >understood more about this than I do.
    >
    >My takeaway from this is...
    >- West Wing is shot in 16:9
    >- One would hope that NBC letterboxes it into 16:9 for the 4:3 SD broadcast
    >- When watching the SD version on a 16:9 TV with the picture "zoomed"
    >(equally stretched in all directions)
    > no part of the image should be cropped
    >- When watching the HD version of the same 16:9 program it should be
    >identical (except in aesthetics) to the zoomed
    > SD version.
    >
    >What I am seeing is...
    >- When viewing WW SD in zoomed mode I loose 1.5 inches (as measured on my
    >TV) off the top. That is, the top
    > of the image is virtually 1.5 inches above the top of my TV. I can change
    >the vertical alignment of the picture and
    > measure from the real top of the image to where the top is when the
    >picture is centered. Similar problems on the
    > bottom too.
    >- When viewing WW HD I loose an additional 1 inch off the top. That is, the
    >top of the image is virtually 2.5 inches

    Can you display the same line 2.5 inch up (by the alignment) or is it
    cropped at about 1.5 inch?

    > above the top of my TV.
    >
    >Assuming that neither NBC nor the HD DirecTivo are to blame the only other
    >possibilities are
    >- My TV is seriously miscalibrated

    The question above can give the answer if your TV overscans more than
    necessary (usually around 5% counting both sides).

    >- My TV isn't truly 16:9

    Measure the viewing area.

    >- I'm still missing something
    >
    >Hopefully it's 1 or 3 since they're something I can change.

    I'm not familiar with your TV but

    wrote:

    >Everyone, a sincere thank you for your help and patience. I wish I
    >understood more about this than I do.
    >
    >My takeaway from this is...
    >- West Wing is shot in 16:9
    >- One would hope that NBC letterboxes it into 16:9 for the 4:3 SD broadcast
    >- When watching the SD version on a 16:9 TV with the picture "zoomed"
    >(equally stretched in all directions)
    > no part of the image should be cropped
    >- When watching the HD version of the same 16:9 program it should be
    >identical (except in aesthetics) to the zoomed
    > SD version.
    >
    >What I am seeing is...
    >- When viewing WW SD in zoomed mode I loose 1.5 inches (as measured on my
    >TV) off the top. That is, the top
    > of the image is virtually 1.5 inches above the top of my TV. I can change
    >the vertical alignment of the picture and
    > measure from the real top of the image to where the top is when the
    >picture is centered. Similar problems on the
    > bottom too.
    >- When viewing WW HD I loose an additional 1 inch off the top. That is, the
    >top of the image is virtually 2.5 inches

    Can you display the same line 2.5 inch up (by the alignment) or is it
    cropped at about 1.5 inch?

    > above the top of my TV.
    >
    >Assuming that neither NBC nor the HD DirecTivo are to blame the only other
    >possibilities are
    >- My TV is seriously miscalibrated

    The question above can give the answer if your TV overscans more than
    necessary (usually around 5% counting both sides).

    >- My TV isn't truly 16:9

    Measure the viewing area.

    >- I'm still missing something
    >
    >Hopefully it's 1 or 3 since they're something I can change.

    /Jan

    You're right of course. Bad choice of words. But NBC is the only network I
    know of to broadcast a SD version of an HD show in 16:9. Everyone else
    simulcasts a 4:3 version. It's fake in the sense that they're trying to
    give an HD look and feel to an SD broadcast. I've had numerous occasions of
    the local station sending the SD version out over their digital channel
    ....and then the damn thing is bordered on 4 sides by black borders!

    > You're right of course. Bad choice of words. But NBC is the only network
    > I know of to broadcast a SD version of an HD show in 16:9. Everyone else
    > simulcasts a 4:3 version. It's fake in the sense that they're trying to
    > give an HD look and feel to an SD broadcast. I've had numerous occasions
    > of the local station sending the SD version out over their digital channel
    > ...and then the damn thing is bordered on 4 sides by black borders!

    What program is that? I'm not aware of anything like that on my local
    affiliate (KING TV Seattle).

    > "curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
    >> You're right of course. Bad choice of words. But NBC is the only
    >> network I know of to broadcast a SD version of an HD show in 16:9.
    >> Everyone else simulcasts a 4:3 version. It's fake in the sense that
    >> they're trying to give an HD look and feel to an SD broadcast. I've had
    >> numerous occasions of the local station sending the SD version out over
    >> their digital channel ...and then the damn thing is bordered on 4 sides
    >> by black borders!
    >

    > What program is that? I'm not aware of anything like that on my local
    > affiliate (KING TV Seattle).

    The local UPN digital station broadcasts Star Trek Enterprise that way here
    in the
    Bay Area. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry the first time I saw it.
    What a
    joke. So I can watch a fuzzier zoomed SD version or the only slighly
    clearer
    but much smaller 4:3 HD version and risk border burn-in. Sigh.

    > "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
    >>> You're right of course. Bad choice of words. But NBC is the only
    >>> network I know of to broadcast a SD version of an HD show in 16:9.
    >>> Everyone else simulcasts a 4:3 version. It's fake in the sense that
    >>> they're trying to give an HD look and feel to an SD broadcast. I've had
    >>> numerous occasions of the local station sending the SD version out over
    >>> their digital channel ...and then the damn thing is bordered on 4 sides
    >>> by black borders!
    >>

    >> What program is that? I'm not aware of anything like that on my local
    >> affiliate (KING TV Seattle).
    >>

    > The local UPN digital station broadcasts Star Trek Enterprise that way
    > here in the
    > Bay Area. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry the first time I saw it.
    > What a
    > joke. So I can watch a fuzzier zoomed SD version or the only slighly
    > clearer
    > but much smaller 4:3 HD version and risk border burn-in. Sigh.

    Well...at least this will no longer be a problem as Star Trek has been
    cancelled! :(

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:44:54 -0800, "Charles Tomaras"
    <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote:

    >> The local UPN digital station broadcasts Star Trek Enterprise that way
    >> here in the
    >> Bay Area. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry the first time I saw it.
    >> What a
    >> joke. So I can watch a fuzzier zoomed SD version or the only slighly
    >> clearer
    >> but much smaller 4:3 HD version and risk border burn-in. Sigh.
    >
    >Well...at least this will no longer be a problem as Star Trek has been
    >cancelled! :(

    The replacement series will probably be broadcast the same way.

HDTV TV Pioneer Home Theatre