Sign in with
Your question

8800GTS+Vista Sleep/Resume problem

Last response: in Systems
July 9, 2007 4:47:12 PM

Hi!
I've been running my PC without any issues for over 8 months now - and have been using Vista for at least 5 months.
Specs: (no OC)
P5WDH-Deluxe, E6600 (stock cooler), 2GB Crucial DDR2 PC2-6400, OCZ 600W PSU, 150GBx2 Raptors RAID1 for OS/Programs, Vista Ultimate 32Bit. I originally had the XFX7600 GT and all was well. Since everything was running ok, I decided to now start OC. As a first step, I recently upgraded my GPU to eVGA8800GTS 640MB. (removed the old drivers first, then removed the old GPU and then stuck the 8800 in, and installed the latest certified drivers from nVidia. Runs good - almost everything is well

Problem: Ever since I upgraded the GPU, my PC has trouble resuming from standby. It goes to standby properly and when I try to resume from standy, it brings up the screen where I need to enter my password - after I enter that, it displays my screen the way it was before standby and then freezes up. I can still see the screen, but cannot use KB/mouse. I can hear the case fans running (Antec nine hundred), but as soon as the freeze happens, I can hear one fan shutting off (it is not any of the case fan or the CPU fan or the PSU fan, so I assume it is the 8800's fan)
At this point, the only thing I can do is a reboot by holding down the power button. Windows comes back up and tells me that it had a BSOD. This does NOT happen everytime I resume from sleep, but happens more than half the time. Going back to the 7600GT resolves this problem.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this? I read on nVidia's forums and noticed that other people are complaining of similar issues, but for them they don't seem to get any video after resuming from standby.

Any help would be welcome!
Thanks
July 9, 2007 5:05:30 PM

jj14 said:
Hi!
I've been running my PC without any issues for over 8 months now - and have been using Vista for at least 5 months.
Specs: (no OC)
P5WDH-Deluxe, E6600 (stock cooler), 2GB Crucial DDR2 PC2-6400, OCZ 600W PSU, 150GBx2 Raptors RAID1 for OS/Programs, Vista Ultimate 32Bit. I originally had the XFX7600 GT and all was well. Since everything was running ok, I decided to now start OC. As a first step, I recently upgraded my GPU to eVGA8800GTS 640MB. (removed the old drivers first, then removed the old GPU and then stuck the 8800 in, and installed the latest certified drivers from nVidia. Runs good - almost everything is well

Problem: Ever since I upgraded the GPU, my PC has trouble resuming from standby. It goes to standby properly and when I try to resume from standy, it brings up the screen where I need to enter my password - after I enter that, it displays my screen the way it was before standby and then freezes up. I can still see the screen, but cannot use KB/mouse. I can hear the case fans running (Antec nine hundred), but as soon as the freeze happens, I can hear one fan shutting off (it is not any of the case fan or the CPU fan or the PSU fan, so I assume it is the 8800's fan)
At this point, the only thing I can do is a reboot by holding down the power button. Windows comes back up and tells me that it had a BSOD. This does NOT happen everytime I resume from sleep, but happens more than half the time. Going back to the 7600GT resolves this problem.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this? I read on nVidia's forums and noticed that other people are complaining of similar issues, but for them they don't seem to get any video after resuming from standby.

Any help would be welcome!
Thanks

The 8800gts requires 28 amps MINIMUM from your PSU. Check you PSU specs for 12v amps available. Sounds like a psu issue.
July 9, 2007 5:14:25 PM

Badge, thanks for the suggestion - but I don't think that is the problem - The OCZ 600W appears to have 72Amps available on the 12V lines. (see below for the link from their site)
+3.3@36A,+5V@30A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@ 18A,+12V3@18A,+ 12V4@18A,-12V@0.5A,+5VSB@3.0A

http:// www.ocztechnology.com/drivers/GameXstrea m_600W_chart.jpg

Any help//suggestion is welcome...
Related resources
July 9, 2007 5:22:19 PM

It may have something to do with the OC you are applying. The ASUS boards have discussions about the problems you are having. I have a similar problem with my q6600 and my ASUS P5B-Deluxe when I OC. Try the ASUS support boards.
July 9, 2007 5:32:16 PM

Sorry - I must not have been clear - I am currently not Overclocking at all. I bought this card so that I could begin overclocking (actually, I am waiting to get the Q6600 and the Ultra 120 cooler also before I OC) - Currently, everything is stock (had to bump the memory voltage to 2.2 since that is the rated voltage for my memory, but that is the only change to the BIOS settings)

I looked up the ASUS boards also and found one post about a problem that was kinda similar - but they were not getting any video after resuming - mine actually lets me log on and get the desktop back and then it freezes and BSODs...

Thanks for your suggestions though..
!