Peltier wattage and PSU?

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
This is a stupid question...

If I were to add a peltier plate (or 2) to my set up, 1 for the CPU and maybe 1 for the GPU later, how do I add in the wattage I am required to use to my overall PSU requirement.

The swiftech sites thats their plates are 266 watts (CPU) and 188 watts (GPU).

So, I would add in 454 watts to my existing requirements from a PSU calc. So If i needed say 700 watts (hypothetically) then added the pelts, I would need an 1100-1200 watt PSU?

This seems simple, but I'm just checking.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
This is a stupid question...

If I were to add a peltier plate (or 2) to my set up, 1 for the CPU and maybe 1 for the GPU later, how do I add in the wattage I am required to use to my overall PSU requirement.

The swiftech sites thats their plates are 266 watts (CPU) and 188 watts (GPU).

So, I would add in 454 watts to my existing requirements from a PSU calc. So If i needed say 700 watts (hypothetically) then added the pelts, I would need an 1100-1200 watt PSU?

This seems simple, but I'm just checking.

What I've done before, and it's relatively common for other enthusiasts, is to add a separate PS for the TECs. Swiftech sells power supplies that work with their TECs and that's the way I'd go if you choose their TEC. But really, I've learned my lesson and I don't use TECs unless I have to. They are so doggone innefficient, I just can deal with the energy cost nor the heat added to the room.

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Thanks guys. I haven't had a chance to check this out for a while. Work has been nuts lately. I've been doing some reading on OCing lately b/c I plan on upgrading in 08 (from dual opterons, slow by today's standards) and wanted a hefty overclock.

If I can set up a cooling loop that will dissipate enough heat to say, OC a q6600 from 2.4 to 3.5ghz, then I'd be happy as hell since thats a huge amount of heat to remove. There wouldn't be a need to buy a tec then, and save me some serious cash.