Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

multiple xp install...

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 12:47:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Without knowing i have installed windows xp 4 times in my little 20 gb
hardrive,wasting precious disk space.
How can i erase all and keep just one windows xp in the disk?
Please help ...

More about : multiple install

Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:55:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi

Please try the following article by Michael Stevens:

"I have two installations of XP on the same partition........"
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"mano8374" <mano_bica@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:3CFAE42B-DA07-4914-A480-76F84AB34326@microsoft.com...
> Without knowing i have installed windows xp 4 times in my little 20 gb
> hardrive,wasting precious disk space.
> How can i erase all and keep just one windows xp in the disk?
> Please help ...
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:55:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

No it did not work...

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please try the following article by Michael Stevens:
>
> "I have two installations of XP on the same partition........"
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
>
> "mano8374" <mano_bica@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:3CFAE42B-DA07-4914-A480-76F84AB34326@microsoft.com...
> > Without knowing i have installed windows xp 4 times in my little 20 gb
> > hardrive,wasting precious disk space.
> > How can i erase all and keep just one windows xp in the disk?
> > Please help ...
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 8:55:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi, Mano.

"Did not work" does not tell us much. :>(

Exactly what did you do? Exactly what results did you see?

Do all 4 choices show up in your operating system menu each time you reboot?
Can you boot to ANY of them?

Your problem MIGHT be as simple as editing C:\Boot.ini to delete the
pointers to the surplus installations, then deleting their boot folders. Or
not! But we have no way of knowing from the skimpy details you've given us
so far. Please open C:\Boot.ini in Notepad, then copy'n'paste all of it
into your next post. That will give us a place to start trying to help you.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@corridor.net
Microsoft Windows MVP

"mano8374" <mano_bica@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 961B2F6-D77D-44AF-9C7C-7913FAD76C2F@microsoft.com...
> No it did not work...
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Please try the following article by Michael Stevens:
>>
>> "I have two installations of XP on the same partition........"
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>
>>
>> "mano8374" <mano_bica@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:3CFAE42B-DA07-4914-A480-76F84AB34326@microsoft.com...
>> > Without knowing i have installed windows xp 4 times in my little 20 gb
>> > hardrive,wasting precious disk space.
>> > How can i erase all and keep just one windows xp in the disk?
>> > Please help ...
June 28, 2005 9:14:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In the Run box type "msconfig", no quotes then on the BOOT.INI tab click the
"Check All Boot Paths" button.

--

Kenny Cargill


"mano8374" <mano_bica@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:3CFAE42B-DA07-4914-A480-76F84AB34326@microsoft.com...
> Without knowing i have installed windows xp 4 times in my little 20 gb
> hardrive,wasting precious disk space.
> How can i erase all and keep just one windows xp in the disk?
> Please help ...
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 9:17:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi

If the 'Check All Boot Paths' doesn't work, could you please post the
contents of the boot.ini file?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"mano8374" <mano_bica@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 961B2F6-D77D-44AF-9C7C-7913FAD76C2F@microsoft.com...
> No it did not work...
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Please try the following article by Michael Stevens:
>>
>> "I have two installations of XP on the same partition........"
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>
>>
>> "mano8374" <mano_bica@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:3CFAE42B-DA07-4914-A480-76F84AB34326@microsoft.com...
>> > Without knowing i have installed windows xp 4 times in my little 20 gb
>> > hardrive,wasting precious disk space.
>> > How can i erase all and keep just one windows xp in the disk?
>> > Please help ...
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:29:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Problem solved! I managed to erase unnecessary windows xp installs...thank
you , Will Denny.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> If the 'Check All Boot Paths' doesn't work, could you please post the
> contents of the boot.ini file?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
>
> "mano8374" <mano_bica@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D 961B2F6-D77D-44AF-9C7C-7913FAD76C2F@microsoft.com...
> > No it did not work...
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Please try the following article by Michael Stevens:
> >>
> >> "I have two installations of XP on the same partition........"
> >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#20
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>
> >>
> >> "mano8374" <mano_bica@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> news:3CFAE42B-DA07-4914-A480-76F84AB34326@microsoft.com...
> >> > Without knowing i have installed windows xp 4 times in my little 20 gb
> >> > hardrive,wasting precious disk space.
> >> > How can i erase all and keep just one windows xp in the disk?
> >> > Please help ...
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:32:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks, Kenny Cargill ! That worked !

"Kenny" wrote:

> In the Run box type "msconfig", no quotes then on the BOOT.INI tab click the
> "Check All Boot Paths" button.
>
> --
>
> Kenny Cargill
>
>
> "mano8374" <mano_bica@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:3CFAE42B-DA07-4914-A480-76F84AB34326@microsoft.com...
> > Without knowing i have installed windows xp 4 times in my little 20 gb
> > hardrive,wasting precious disk space.
> > How can i erase all and keep just one windows xp in the disk?
> > Please help ...
>
>
>
!