Sign in with
Your question

XP Won't Recognize External FDD

Last response: in Storage
July 19, 2007 1:57:57 PM

I recently bought an NEC external FDD for updating BIOS but cannot get XP to recognize it. After it is plugged in the device manager lists it as a device and it shows up in the " safely remove hardware " but it will not show up im My Computer as a listed drive. Does anyone know how to get XP to properly recognize this drive?

More about : recognize external fdd

July 19, 2007 2:19:41 PM

I have an IBM external FDD and XP recognizes it without any problems. Have you tried plugging it in prior to boot? Maybe that will make a difference.
July 19, 2007 2:53:01 PM

I forget what brand I have, but it came with a mini-cd. I had to install the drivers for the FDD to get recognized.
Related resources
July 19, 2007 3:04:07 PM

Do you have another machine you can plug the drive into to see if it is the drive or your system?
July 19, 2007 3:11:49 PM

It has to be Drivers assuming the device functions correctly.
July 19, 2007 4:48:36 PM

Have you checked if you can boot from it? For safest way to update BIOS. Check BOOT options in BIOS. Check floppy derive not installed in BIOS.

Mike.
July 19, 2007 5:54:33 PM

I have tried to install it as new hardware and receive a message that it has the most current drivers. I have tried it on another machine with the same result. I have tried plugging it in both before and after boot with the same result. It is interesting that when I boot up the device activates, i.e., makes noise and light comes on, but it still does not show it My Computer or Explorer. At this point I am at a complete loss. Any more ideas?
July 19, 2007 6:15:02 PM

Forget XP drivers, if the PC won't boot from it you stand no chance of doing a BIOS update from the thing!
July 19, 2007 6:59:27 PM

PEH said:
I have tried to install it as new hardware and receive a message that it has the most current drivers. I have tried it on another machine with the same result. I have tried plugging it in both before and after boot with the same result. It is interesting that when I boot up the device activates, i.e., makes noise and light comes on, but it still does not show it My Computer or Explorer. At this point I am at a complete loss. Any more ideas?

Perhaps the drive itself is faulty.
July 19, 2007 9:11:05 PM

Sounds broke. USB floppy should run under XP like a pen drive, plug & go.

Mike.
July 20, 2007 4:28:16 AM

That is the conclusion I have come to. Back to NewEgg it goes. Thanks for the help.
July 22, 2007 5:46:39 AM

Use a virtual floppy program then burn a bootable CD with floppy emulation. Directions are easily found for whatever burning software you use.

For loading storage drivers I suggest you add them to your Windows XP install CD.

!