XP Won't Recognize External FDD

PEH

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I recently bought an NEC external FDD for updating BIOS but cannot get XP to recognize it. After it is plugged in the device manager lists it as a device and it shows up in the " safely remove hardware " but it will not show up im My Computer as a listed drive. Does anyone know how to get XP to properly recognize this drive?

thetarget

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I have an IBM external FDD and XP recognizes it without any problems. Have you tried plugging it in prior to boot? Maybe that will make a difference.

marmaduke

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I forget what brand I have, but it came with a mini-cd. I had to install the drivers for the FDD to get recognized.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Have you checked if you can boot from it? For safest way to update BIOS. Check BOOT options in BIOS. Check floppy derive not installed in BIOS.

Mike.

PEH

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I have tried to install it as new hardware and receive a message that it has the most current drivers. I have tried it on another machine with the same result. I have tried plugging it in both before and after boot with the same result. It is interesting that when I boot up the device activates, i.e., makes noise and light comes on, but it still does not show it My Computer or Explorer. At this point I am at a complete loss. Any more ideas?

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Perhaps the drive itself is faulty.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Use a virtual floppy program then burn a bootable CD with floppy emulation. Directions are easily found for whatever burning software you use.

For loading storage drivers I suggest you add them to your Windows XP install CD.