Sign in with
Your question

Side Panel Fan Direction

Last response: in Overclocking
July 10, 2007 7:39:39 PM

Which way should people be putting the side fan?

I've heard that you want to blow the fan inward. Mine sits over the video card and some of the PCI slots but not over the CPU.

People say that you go in the direction that the fans for the components are going ie. the CPU fan blows at. Also I'm running an 8800gts so it has that extra slot for the fan. This also blows at it.

BUT! I've heard if you blow in to the components you will be disrupting the air flow from the front panel fans to the exhaust fan that sits at up at the back. This creates friction in the air and lets it sit over the components not helping. Thus people say use the side fan as exhaust.

So what is the real verdict?
July 10, 2007 11:22:18 PM

lazio313 said:
Which way should people be putting the side fan?

I've heard that you want to blow the fan inward. Mine sits over the video card and some of the PCI slots but not over the CPU.

People say that you go in the direction that the fans for the components are going ie. the CPU fan blows at. Also I'm running an 8800gts so it has that extra slot for the fan. This also blows at it.

BUT! I've heard if you blow in to the components you will be disrupting the air flow from the front panel fans to the exhaust fan that sits at up at the back. This creates friction in the air and lets it sit over the components not helping. Thus people say use the side fan as exhaust.

So what is the real verdict?

Front = intake

Rear = exhaust

Top = exhaust

Side = intake
July 12, 2007 4:40:10 AM

I have tried both ways. Mine has ducting also and sits almost exactly over my cpu.
I have a cooler master Elite 330 case, 120mm front fan intake, 120mm fan rear exhaust, 80mm side fan
My cpu cooler is a zalman 7000 (Yea I need a new one moved this from my athlon64). Its a downward blowing model.
With the side fan on intake I get better cpu cooling results.
With the side fan on exhaust my cpu temps jumped 5-6C but my video card temps dropped 5-10C.
I have it on intake for now.
I plan on trying a tower like the tuniq and see if that makes a difference.
I think with the tuniq I would get better results with the side fan on exhaust but that remains to be seen.
Related resources
July 12, 2007 4:53:15 AM

thelvyn said:
I have tried both ways. Mine has ducting also and sits almost exactly over my cpu.
I have a cooler master Elite 330 case, 120mm front fan intake, 120mm fan rear exhaust, 80mm side fan
My cpu cooler is a zalman 7000 (Yea I need a new one moved this from my athlon64). Its a downward blowing model.
With the side fan on intake I get better cpu cooling results.
With the side fan on exhaust my cpu temps jumped 5-6C but my video card temps dropped 5-10C.
I have it on intake for now.
I plan on trying a tower like the tuniq and see if that makes a difference.
I think with the tuniq I would get better results with the side fan on exhaust but that remains to be seen.

Be sure your PSU is adequate and not overheating causing your problems. Feel the top of your case (above the psu) and also the air being ommited from the psu. If thenpsu is overloaded and producing excessive heat your entire system can run hot. Eventually the PSU will give out if it is continually under great stress to poer your system. Might be worth looking into...a new psu.
July 12, 2007 5:20:08 AM

Top of my case is cool, air coming from my psu is warm but not overly so.
My psu is more then adequate for what I am running IMO.
I think the fan that comes with the case does not push enough cfms is my problem if anything.
!