Sign in with
Your question

Need Help w/ Mobo & more!

Last response: in Systems
July 10, 2007 3:56:34 AM

Hello!

this is my first time building a system and im a total newbie. ive started research and stuff about 1 and a half months ago and ive come up with a setup, but there are some things i need suggestions on! Heres a few of the basic specs.

Asus P5K Deluxe - i love this mobo cept the fact that it aint too good for crossfire, so i hear. any other sugestions plz?
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - i am well aware of the price drop, but if AMD quadcores are gonna be similar but cheaper as they usually are, then i guess ill HAVE to find a new mobo.
Western Digital 74GB 10000rpm - any reason for me to go 36gb? i dont wanna, but i might if im not gona store 70gb on 1 HD.
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500 GB 7200 rpm - no comment neccesary i guess.
OCZ DDR2 PC2-5400 4GB (2 x 2GB) Vista Upgrade (OCZ2VU6674GK) - should i just get 4x1gb? how long will it take for 4gb to get out dated? everyones saying a long time, but how long is that aproximatly plz?

As for Graphics Card, i got a free one from a friend, 256mb ati radeon PCI-E, i dont remeber the model but that doesnt matter. im gona get a graphics card next year cause im pretty sure this will last me at least that long. but what DOES matter is that i want to crossfire. if there are any reasons why i shouldnt, id LOVE to hear them please! crossfire just seems sick but hard to find good mobo with that option! i like the p5k deluxe which i dont really wanna change.

if you need more information, PLEASE DO ASK! also im a newbie at this site, i could use a few pointers if i screwd anything up or might need to know how to check something! ^^ thx again!

More about : mobo

July 10, 2007 1:57:30 PM

No reason not to crossfire (unless you are planning to Xfire middle range stuff), except you need a PSU beefy enough to handle the setup and 2 identical cards in order to do so. Btw, I have to make this clear to you though, you do not get 200% performance from using two cards, probably somewhere along the lines of 120-150% (150% is VERY rare and this depends entirely on the application)
!