Am I right in saying the mem stick is bad?

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I have 4 (1gb) sticks of ram (ddr2-675). My system refused to load to desktop recently ( Ive had the sticks since Febrary). WHen I took all of them out and put my spare ddr2-533 sticks it loaded to my desktop. Also I then took out the ddr2-533 and put one ddr2-675 stick in and it loaded but when I played a game I got the blue screen of death. I shut my system off and took out that stick and put another in. For a few hours I was on the computer again playing a game and I never got the BSOD. Does this mean the other stick was bad? I have the 3rd in now and everything seems ok.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Thanx. I have the 3rd one in now and everything seems fine. Im going to put the 4th stick in later to see if its bad. If all 4 sticks are in including the bad one would this create an unstable system if 1 out of 4 sticks are bad?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Probably but why would you want to put a bad stick in other than symmetry? :) I'd suggest you send the bad stick back for a good one or if it's not under warranty throw it out. The only reason I would run something that I knew was bad would be a hard drive I had to get data off of. Why take a chance of really screwing something up?

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I was just curious if one stick will create unstability if the others are fine. I have the stick that had the BSOD when I was playing a game seperated from the others. I have the 4th stick now and it hasnt crashed or created the BSOD. Corsair wants me to do memtest but I ran out of blank cd's lol. Hopefully theyll take the bad one back anyway.

On the 3rd stick I got an error message when I was shutting down. Ever hear of this: RCLLWND: DLLML.exe....the instruction at 0x73ddllc7 referenced at 0x00000004 the memory could not be read.

I think DLLml.exe is the sound card. Ever hear of this error message?

Get a copy of memtest and test out the various combinations to be certain. You might be able to run memtest from a usb device, or, of course, the old floppy disk. You could have a slot problem on the motherboard, a memory seating problem, a voltage/timing issue, or even a 4gb software issue.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Spot on. Test all of the sticks with memtest, one at a time. Save the shipping, and Corsair's time. They won't take it back if it tests good. You need more CDs anyway.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

I tested each stick one by one in the mobo and only one geve me the BSOD while playing. The others went smoothly. I put 2 sticks in today and everything is fine also. When I was getting the BSOD, i went to check to see if the sticks were in tight and they were. I changed the voltage for the specific voltage these sticks take, 1.9v. Whats a slot issue? How do I check timings?

I;ll by cds tomorrow :)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

If everything is working except when you put the one stick in, it's almost certainly a bad stick. I really think your best bet is to just replace the bad stick. Fooling around with the timing, etc is likely to just cause more problems

By a slot issue, I meant that one of the memory receptacle slots could have a defect. It looks like you have found a bad stick, so a bad slot is not a likely part of the problem. By testing each stick in the first slot, you can find out if a stick is defective. It really is best to use memtest because it will test the whole address range of the stick. If you just use windows as a test, it may not use the part of the stick that could be defective. Most motherboards will set default speeds and timings that will work. I would leave this alone if it works. Most of the value of memory comes from how much you have, not what the timings are.