Solved

Activation problem with multiple activation key

Hi,

So I have a license of windows 7 professional, which is a multiple activation key.
It's currently installed on my desktop and my laptop. Every now and then I like to format a machine completely to start fresh, or dual boot linux or whatever. Now, since the last time I did this (which was with my laptop) my windows 7 does not activate anymore. It simply shows an error which tells me that the activation count has been reached. My guess is that every time I formatted the drive, after installing the windows 7 has activated a new instance, instead of detecting that it was the same laptop.

Is there any way of solving this myself? If not I'm guessing I should contact microsoft support, but I'm having trouble finding a phone number dedicated to these activation problems. The closest thing I can find is the activation centers, which appear to exist for buying extra licenses for the MAK..
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about activation problem multiple activation
  1. Best answer
    Contact MS. When you try to activate it should give you an option to use an alternate method, maybe though a link. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Activating-Windows-frequently-asked-questions
  2. Sir G said:
    Hi,

So I have a license of windows 7 professional, which is a multiple activation key.
    It's currently installed on my desktop and my laptop. Every now and then I like to format a machine completely to start fresh, or dual boot linux or whatever. Now, since the last time I did this (which was with my laptop) my windows 7 does not activate anymore. It simply shows an error which tells me that the activation count has been reached. My guess is that every time I formatted the drive, after installing the windows 7 has activated a new instance, instead of detecting that it was the same laptop.

Is there any way of solving this myself? If not I'm guessing I should contact microsoft support, but I'm having trouble finding a phone number dedicated to these activation problems. The closest thing I can find is the activation centers, which appear to exist for buying extra licenses for the MAK..

Go ask Microsoft for that......
  3. Best answer selected by Sir G.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Windows 7