Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Activation problem with multiple activation key

Last response: in Windows 7
August 16, 2011 2:01:53 PM

Hi,

So I have a license of windows 7 professional, which is a multiple activation key.
It's currently installed on my desktop and my laptop. Every now and then I like to format a machine completely to start fresh, or dual boot linux or whatever. Now, since the last time I did this (which was with my laptop) my windows 7 does not activate anymore. It simply shows an error which tells me that the activation count has been reached. My guess is that every time I formatted the drive, after installing the windows 7 has activated a new instance, instead of detecting that it was the same laptop.

Is there any way of solving this myself? If not I'm guessing I should contact microsoft support, but I'm having trouble finding a phone number dedicated to these activation problems. The closest thing I can find is the activation centers, which appear to exist for buying extra licenses for the MAK..

Best solution

a c 223 D Laptop
a c 370 $ Windows 7
August 16, 2011 2:18:16 PM

Contact MS. When you try to activate it should give you an option to use an alternate method, maybe though a link. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Activa...
August 16, 2011 3:05:54 PM

Sir G said:
Hi,

So I have a license of windows 7 professional, which is a multiple activation key.
It's currently installed on my desktop and my laptop. Every now and then I like to format a machine completely to start fresh, or dual boot linux or whatever. Now, since the last time I did this (which was with my laptop) my windows 7 does not activate anymore. It simply shows an error which tells me that the activation count has been reached. My guess is that every time I formatted the drive, after installing the windows 7 has activated a new instance, instead of detecting that it was the same laptop.

Is there any way of solving this myself? If not I'm guessing I should contact microsoft support, but I'm having trouble finding a phone number dedicated to these activation problems. The closest thing I can find is the activation centers, which appear to exist for buying extra licenses for the MAK..

Go ask Microsoft for that......
m
l
August 26, 2011 11:17:07 AM

Best answer selected by Sir G.
m
l
!