Sign in with
Your question

Im building a new pc and im asking for advice on how I can set it up

Last response: in Systems
July 10, 2007 6:32:36 AM

I already have LGA775 P4 Prescott cpu from work that im going to use in my new pc (The Prescott is going to create a bottleneck but thats ok; maybe theres a way to test and find this out?) and I like all the features the gigabyte has especialy the dual bios. If I was going to use SLI I would use AMD because the nvidea chipset I would use is heavy duty. So I think since intel runs less hot its more stable for a regular use pc using only one video card.

I have some links to the mobo I like. (I just bought it 2 days ago from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) http://www.giga-byte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Produc...

Heres the review: http://www.hardwarelogic.com/news/129/ARTICLE/1257/2006...

This is all the parts I have.
Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Heres the memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... :) 

More about : building advice set

July 11, 2007 12:14:36 AM

(if you can read through all this, it might help!)
Honestly, I don't think that is at all the best setup for you. At least talking about the mobo and memory, and maybe the vid card.

I'm looking at my DS3 (the one you are looking at) box right now and right across the front it says "supports the core 2 duo" and then there is something about the large capacitors for overclocking it. Clearly this board was intended for C2D owners who want to get some good overclocks for a good price.
And if you had a C2D and wanted to OC, I would recommend this board in a heartbeat. That is what most people buy this board use it for, I am sure, just by reading the reviews.

I even read the review you linked to, and under their recommendation, the first sentence was...
"The GIGABYTE GA-965-DS3 is a fine choice for enthusiast looking for a fast motherboard capable of running new Intel Core 2 Duo processors." And that is exactly what it is best for, "enthusiasts" (meaning overclockers) that are running a C2D.

You can't want to get hardware like this just because it has good reviews. Those good reviews are from people happy about their C2D overclock, not because it is the best board for the P4. Know what I mean?
It is much more important to learn for yourself what mobo is best for your cpu, memory, and vid card config. Plus many other factors.

For your Prescott, you can get an even cheaper Intel board which is cheaper, stable, more safe, and just as good a performer as any that would be a perfect fit for your P4.
And I'm just going by what you wrote down. I'm assuming that if you wanted to OC your P4 that you would have said so because whether or not you do so will obviously change many people's recommendation to you of what board to get.

Another thing that might change what board people would recommend to you would be whether you plan to upgrade your cpu in the semi-near future or stick with the P4 for a while. Whatever your plans are with that, as well as knowing if you plan another mobo upgrade with your next cpu, can make all the difference as to what board is best for you.

If you plan to keep the P4 for a while and don't OC, then get an Intel board, as I said they are cheaper than good OC boards, even the DS3 (a cheap OC board), but are stable and very safe. And you can even go cheaper with an older chipset and it won't hurt anything.

If you plan to keep the P4 for a while and do want to OC, there are so many other options better than the DS3. I won't begin to list them. And again you can settle for a mobo with an older chipset, being even cheaper. However, in this case, do NOT get an Intel board. Obviously get something that has good reviews for overclocking the P4.

If you plan to upgrade to the C2D before upgrading your mobo again, then go with a 965P chipset (or higher) Intel mobo. Will be compatible with the C2D.
If you want to both get a C2D and OC with your mobo purchase, then yeah go with the DS3, for sure.

Then there is the RAM. You absolutely don't need that DDR2-800 OCZ RAM.
That kind of RAM is for overclockers pushing their FSB's to and past 1600mhz.
With your P4, you have an 800mhz FSB, and so simply no need for DDR2-800. Even if you OC the P4, DDR2-533 will do the trick and get you to 1066.
Not only that, but why pay extra for overclockers RAM when it won't be overclocked? Doesn't make sense.

Furthermore, you may not be aware that the 965 chipset (and maybe 975) require DDR2-800 voltage of 1.8v. Although I've heard of some people getting certain brands of 1.9v to work. But many people have had to RMA their 1.9v+ 800 RAM as well. And considering OCZ is rated 1.9v-2.1v, that may decrease your luck even more. Even if it did work to where you could boot up, you may experience problems or instability right away or down the road.

All the more reason to go with below ddr2-800 RAM. Oh, and there is also the thing where DDR2-800 needs to be originally rated at 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 timings (although you maybe be able to drop them in the bios if you can stay stable, but still, if lucky you can drop them to 4-4-4 but if you had OK lower speed RAM at, say, 4-4-4 to begin with, then you might be able to drop to 3-3-3).

So why in the world would you not go for DDR2-533 with great timings, you can even get that with inexpensive brands. And you can still OC your P4 to 1066, if you OC, with DDR2-533 and still not be pushing the speed past its limit.

Even if you got a C2D and wanted to OC it, DDR2-667 RAM with good timings is cheaper as well than what you are looking at and you'll still have room for a good C2D OC.
Yeah, actually get better performance since sub DDR2-800 RAM doesn't have timing or voltage restrictions.
As I said, unless you are a real overclocker getting 1600+ FSB's, then the OCZ you are looking at simply will give you less performance at a much higher price.

And even if you still for whatever reason want to go with DDR2-800 (if you plan to OC a good C2D in the future). I personally have a 1600 FSB, getting the most out of mine running 1:1. Not only that, but I was able to then lower the timings from 5-5-5-18 to 4-4-4-12! Those timings could be better with lower speed RAM, but since I'm using all of my DDR2-800 speed my performance is better regardless of timings.

I have good brand "Mushkin EM" RAM. Only cost $95 for 2 gigs. Does just what I need it to. I highly doubt that even in my case that that OCZ RAM would benefit me beyond what my Mushkin does since I don't have FSB's well over 1600.
Hope all this makes sense. But I had to assume you weren't aware as it just didn't make sense to me to get that high speed OCZ RAM on a P4 whether you OC or not.

I went on a long time so I will mention something briefly about the graphics card.
What kind of monitor do you have? More importantly, what is your max resolution?
If your game playing resolution is around 1920x1035 or less than that, then you may want to consider some higher clocked 320mb 8800gts's. If you play at 1600x1200 or less then it is definitely a no brainer.

I did a little research on that. In my case, I do play at 1600x1200 and I read that if you play at resolutions about that high or a little higher then the 640mb cards aren't worth it. In fact, the 320mb cards will outperform the 640mb cards, believe it or not.
I don't know what kind of monitor you have, but if you fall into the category I just mentioned, maybe this info could save you a good chunk of $$ and you get better performance. Again! Computers are strange, sometimes less $$ can equal better performance.

I saw the benchmarks done by all the professionals. Saw a couple in particular that used the evga 8800gts 320mb KO card. It is the most expensive 320mb card, however still quite a bit cheaper than an average 8800gts 640mb.
The advantages? The evga 8800gts 320mb KO card has the fastest clock speeds out of all of the cards!

And boy is it fast, I just got mine the other day. Even the superclocked cards have considerably higher clocks than the normal 8800gts's. But with the KO, it even puts the "superclocked" to shame! KO has factory speeds of 589mhz for the core clock and a whopping 1840mhz effective memory clock!

Furthermore, these cards are still good overclockers (evga is the best, after all!).
In one review I saw this card OC'ed an additional 20% on both clocks and some enthusiasts out there are probably beating that. And if that along with the super-superclocked speeds wasn't enough to sell me on this card for $10 extra, a nice little bonus is that this has the ACS3 cooling system which only the few KO cards have.

And in fact the card does run up to 10c cooler than other people with good case cooling are getting with the normal coolers, which again helps with a further OC. Another good thing is that the backside heatsink, which is the unique thing, helps keep my northbridge even cooler than it was with my 7900gt OC'ed installed (which didn't have the back heatsink).

These clock speeds in addition with the cooler being able to get even higher clock speeds (along with the already decent 320mb of ddr3) certainly more than makes up for not having 640mb of memory.

The card certainly still holds its own even at the super high resolutions because of its clocks, however, if you do play at resolutions above 2000x then you may want the more memory, but of course it does cost more.
You can get the 640mb gts KO, which would be the next best thing to a GTX, but not even that has quite the same clock speeds as the 320mb KO.
And btw, yeah, the 8800gts no matter what you get is sweet, but your P4 could be a troublesome bottleneck just because these gpu's are so damn powerful. Unbelievable really.

Hope any of this helped if you managed to read your way through it. Sorry its so long, but I had a lot to say! A lot of this stuff I learned here from other people to make good purchases, and I might as well pass it on.
Even if it didn't help, at least I enjoyed writing it. Mainly because I am really happy with my new C2D, DS3 mobo, and of course the 8800gts 320mb KO card and my DDR2 memory as well. And I'm more happy about getting great deals on all these things. Newegg does rock!
Related resources
!