prodystopian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I am currently upgrading my computer and planning to incorporate the parts (memory, HDD, etc.) into a new computer I will build within the next year. My current motherboard only supports up to Sata 150, but I want to purchase a WD5000AAKS which is a Sata 300 drive.

My question is, if I get this drive do I have to use a Sata 150 cable or can I just use a Sata 300 cable and my system just won't transfer it at the max rate? More importantly, will my PC be able to recognize it at all? Thanks.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Same cable is fine. There's no real difference between 1.5Gbps and 3.0Gbps anyways. When you get the 3.0Gbps HDD, just set it to run at 1.5Gbps mode to work with your current motherboard. Its usually a jumper you stick on. Your system will transfer it at the max rate, however your hard drive can't even reach that rate, so it really doesn't matter that much.

flasher702

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
YOU GOT THE NAMES RIGHT!!! zOMG there is hope! SATA150 and SATA300. You're a genius!

Any sata cable should work fine especially since the SATA 300 drive will automatically clock it's phy down to 1.5gbps to match the SATA150 controller. You shouldn't have to worry about any jumpers or anything, it should just work. For a single user system with a consumer HD you probably won't notice any difference between SATA150 and SATA300. Wether or not your old controller supports NCQ or not is another question but in a single user system NCQ will actually slow you down far more often then it will speed you up... but you probably also won't notice much either way.

Basically just plug it in. It'll work. SATA is designed to be like that. If it doesn't work come back and ask for help.

And, again, grats on using technically accurate names. I am weeping tears of joy here.