8800 GTX - on a 550W PSU?

Chubz

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Hey guys,

I'm going to try and sum up my situation as quickly as possible.

I was originally shooting for the BFG 8800 GTS 640MB deal they had at Best Buy for $316 several weeks ago, but I got screwed out of that deal and I'm now searching for another option.

Before I got screwed over, I ordered a PSU and it has already arrived and I've already installed it into my PC. In short: I'm stuck with it. Here's a link to the exact PSU I have:
Rosewill 550W PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182030

I'm curious if I should shoot for a GTS 640MB again, or if I should try a GTX. I'm tempted to go the GTX route just so I can be sure that playing Crysis will never be a problem, but at the same time, I'm not sure if my PSU could support it or not.

You can check the link above for the PSU specs, but here are the minimum requirements I've seen on the 8800 GTX compared to my PSU specs:

Minimum: 400W PSU
My PSU: 550W

Minimum: 30a on 12v
My PSU: 36a on 12v

I don't have any other power-consuming components in my PC .. in fact, besides my DVD drive and Hard-drive, there honestly isn't much else requiring power except the motherboard itself!

So would you guys think that this PSU is able to power the GTX, or should I just stick with the GTS?

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

:hello:

Chubz

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007

Awesome. :) The extremely hard part will be affording the thing.. I'll probably be stuck with a GTS, but maybe a miracle will happen.