Sign in with
Your question

Bad hard drive?

Last response: in Storage
July 20, 2007 9:09:19 PM

Hello all. i think that one of my hdd's is bad. first i thought something went wrong when i installed windows. then i tried reinstalling it but it still gives me the same error. SYSTEM BOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK TO CONTINUE. if i leave the windows disk in the drive it will boot fine so i'm pretty sure its the hard drive. maybe there is a bad sector on it, idk. does anyone know what the issue could be? any help is much appreciated.

More about : bad hard drive

July 20, 2007 11:13:29 PM

Try running the diagnostic/repair software from the mfg web site, usually best off a floppy. How old is the drive?
July 21, 2007 12:06:53 AM

drew455 said:
Hello all. i think that one of my hdd's is bad. first i thought something went wrong when i installed windows. then i tried reinstalling it but it still gives me the same error. SYSTEM BOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK TO CONTINUE. if i leave the windows disk in the drive it will boot fine so i'm pretty sure its the hard drive. maybe there is a bad sector on it, idk. does anyone know what the issue could be? any help is much appreciated.

Check in the bios to see whether it is trying to boot off of the drive you installed windows on
Related resources
July 21, 2007 12:37:06 AM

SO, Windows WILL NOT install, or does this error occur after a successful installation? If Windows installs OK, then the HD should be fine. Do you have any other HDs? As ethel said, check the BIOS to make sure it is trying to boot from the correct HD. One last question, is this a new build with all new parts?
July 21, 2007 2:40:07 PM

i set the bios to boot from the problem drive. the drive itself is about a year and a half old. windows successfully installs cuz i am using it right now, but i need to leave the windows cd in the drive or it just wont boot.i have another hdd with all my storage on that one. and this is not a new build. i've had this build for almost a year now and i have never had this problem before. this drive has only had windows installed on it once before i started having problems.
July 22, 2007 12:47:19 AM

k. ran error checking. nothing happened. except i got some sega genesis time in while i was waiting. and i did reformat my drive before installing.
July 22, 2007 12:34:25 PM

drew455 said:
k. ran error checking. nothing happened. except i got some sega genesis time in while i was waiting. and i did reformat my drive before installing.

Did you do a quick or full format? The couple of times I tried a quick format things did not go well
a b G Storage
July 22, 2007 2:50:01 PM

First download Diagnostic Software Utility (DOS) off the manufacture website and Burn it to CD.[* Download the ISO.] Next Do a full wipe out of the drive. Then do a scan for errors and let the utility fix it, if errors are found. CHKDSK dose not detect these errors!! If more than 6 errors are found consider buying a new drive. Link for Seagate Drive: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD
July 27, 2007 1:53:30 AM

well. for some reason, after reformatting and creating and deleting partitions several times today and after the final quick format, its working fine. but thanks for the replies guys, you lead me in the right direction.
!