blind_masseur

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
I've had my DVD writer for about 5 years now (maybe a little less) and I think it might be going. The problems I am experiencing are as follows:

After it reads a dvd (not necessarily a movie), when I take that dvd out and put in a new one, it restarts my computer, but when the computer comes to load windows is restarts again. This recurs until I remove the DVD from the drive.

I have tested this problem 4 times with the exact same symptoms. It has been suggested that there may be a short in my hard drive. Any ideas? Thanks.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If it's 5 years old, likely suffering old age and read to expire. I'd get a new drive, about $30 for a Litel-On or Samsung DVD-R. A few dollars more if you want Light Scribe

blind_masseur

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
I have a connection for some of cheapest computer parts in the world (significantly cheaper than newegg), and I can get an LG DVD RW drive for under $30, but they also have something called a DVD/COMBO, what is that? Does it just mean that is can run both cds and dvds (if so, can't normal dvd drives do that?). The only think I can imagine is that is runs dvds, and runs and burns cds, but cannot burn dvds, is that correct?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

A Combo drive will read and write CDs but only read DVDs, given the price difference of a few dollars probably better off with one the writes DVDs

blind_masseur

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Okay well I went out and bought a new LG drive (I trust LG because they always last me 5 years plus), and it turns out my old drive is completely fine. The new one can't even read any discs and gives me the same problem after I put in 2 discs that is recognizes. When is recognizes a disc and I double click to open the drive or right click and click open, simply nothing happens.

I've also tried replacing the IDE and power cables but neither helped, so I figure it's OS related. I'm reformating anyways, it just looks like I will have to transfer files over to my sister's computer and burn them there, now that I have an extra DVD drive.

Woot LG DRIVES!!! Last more than 5 years!!!