Fx10

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2007
Earlier this evening, windows popped up a small warning in the system tray telling me that D:\????? was corrupt and to run chkdsk on it. I immediately quite what I was doing and opened the drive in under my computer, and after a couple minute wait it produced the first level of directory information, but attempting to open the folders provided an error and no data.

I tried running chkdsk, but that just detected it was a NTFS drive, and then died.

Scandisk wouldn't start on it.

I did some quick research on the issue and tried running GetDataBack, PartitionDoctor, and Easy Recovery, but those all locked up while scanning the drive. When I tried to do more research, firefox locked up and I had to restart my system. Only to find that it would hang while loading windows. After disconnecting it, I was able to restart normally. I'm not sure if it would boot if I left it going long enough, but it's on my list of things to try next.

Does anyone out there have any advice on what I should try next?

G

Hey whats going on? Well, obviously if it boots up and d:\ is accessible, you can save all your data then delete the partition and create a new one etc, but if that doesn't work try Spinrite. As far as I'm concerned, its the best home data recovery software I've ever used. I had more than a couple of drives become totally inaccessible and I was able to use it to recover pretty much all the data, at least all the pertinent data I needed. You can probably find the torrent of either spinrite or Hiren's Boot Disk online. Hiren's Boot Disk would be preferable as it has not only spinrite on it, but a wide array of testing, repair, partitioning, recovery tools on it. It's basically an iso that you burn to a cd and boot the computer up with. Uh, lets see. Cheers M8!

Boot off the windows cd and do the first repair, and run chkdsk (for you, chkdsk d: /r /p) to do a patch job that should give you access to data, also theres a tool called HDD regenerator which can fix bad sectors, and a hdd tool like hitachi DFT or WDDLG can check hdds etc