Which image/backup software supports RAID 0?

I'm trying to create an image of my computer from an array RAID 0. Does anyone know any software out there that support RAID 0?
Thank you
4 answers Last reply
More about which image backup software supports raid
  1. Most disc image software will treat RAID 0 no differently than a single drive. I know for a fact Acronis True Image will do it, I used it to mirror my RAID 0 array to a single drive when I had a feeling I was about to lose one of the drives in my RAID 0 array, worked beautifully.
  2. The whole idea behind a RAID controller is (usually) to present all the drives as a single image (usually called a Virtual disk) - so the "image" of your system is identical regardess of the raid configuration, RAID 0, 1, 10, 01, 5, 6 all present a single disk to the OS.

~~most~~ image creation software doesn't care about the type of RAID.

Now in a software RAID where a lot of the work (calculating parity data mainly on 5,6 RAID) there is overhead to be sure, but the OS still deals with things as a single disk.

What is important most of the time is that the image you create needs to be restored on a sytem with the same (or at least a similar) RAID controller if it is a hardeware solution, or you need to pre-load drivers if it's a SATA solution.
  3. the_vorlon said:
    The whole idea behind a RAID controller is (usually) to present all the drives as a single image (usually called a Virtual disk) - so the "image" of your system is identical regardess of the raid configuration, RAID 0, 1, 10, 01, 5, 6 all present a single disk to the OS.

~~most~~ image creation software doesn't care about the type of RAID.

Now in a software RAID where a lot of the work (calculating parity data mainly on 5,6 RAID) there is overhead to be sure, but the OS still deals with things as a single disk.

What is important most of the time is that the image you create needs to be restored on a sytem with the same (or at least a similar) RAID controller if it is a hardeware solution, or you need to pre-load drivers if it's a SATA solution.

Sort of, but not quite right. Drives in a raid array (normally called a raid array) whether software or hardware raid will be presented to the OS as a single volume. (Or multiple volumes in some complicated raid solutions, but most home users will just see a single volume.)

Most imaging software worthy of the description will see the volume as a single data set. So you make your image, backup set, whatever, and store that off somewhere. So now you don't want raid. Install just a single drive large enough to hold all of the data that was in your raid array, and restore your image or backup set to that drive.

Personally I prefer Acronis, but the same principles apply with Ghost, Veritas, etc. Even Win backup, in a pinch...
  4. BUmp, anyone still using software Raid? not exactly a place I want to a software failure
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs NAS / RAID Computer Backup Software