Digital cable vs. Component cable

Last response: in Home Theatre
March 12, 2005 4:40:19 PM

I'm in the market for a new AV receiver. Quite a few of them can
upconvert composite and S video to component, so I could simply run all
my inputs to the AV receiver and have only one component video
connection from the receiver to the TV.

However, my satellite receiver also has HDMI output, so I can connect it
directly to the TV. If I do that, I might as well connect the DVD
player and VCR directly to the TV also (which is what I'm doing now),
and save money on the receiver.

So the question is how much, if any, of a difference there is in picture
quality between component and HDMI cabling?

(One other consideration for the receiver is that it has to have RIAA
phono inputs, but that is aside from the video question.)

March 13, 2005 6:37:14 AM

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
> I'm in the market for a new AV receiver. Quite a few of them can
> upconvert composite and S video to component, so I could simply run all
> my inputs to the AV receiver and have only one component video
> connection from the receiver to the TV.
>
> However, my satellite receiver also has HDMI output, so I can connect it
> directly to the TV. If I do that, I might as well connect the DVD
> player and VCR directly to the TV also (which is what I'm doing now),
> and save money on the receiver.
>
> So the question is how much, if any, of a difference there is in picture
> quality between component and HDMI cabling?
>
> (One other consideration for the receiver is that it has to have RIAA
> phono inputs, but that is aside from the video question.)
>
> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.

I am also wondering about that.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 9:33:23 AM

Michelle Steiner wrote:
> I'm in the market for a new AV receiver. Quite a few of them can
> upconvert composite and S video to component, so I could simply run all
> my inputs to the AV receiver and have only one component video
> connection from the receiver to the TV.
>
> However, my satellite receiver also has HDMI output, so I can connect it
> directly to the TV. If I do that, I might as well connect the DVD
> player and VCR directly to the TV also (which is what I'm doing now),
> and save money on the receiver.
>
> So the question is how much, if any, of a difference there is in picture
> quality between component and HDMI cabling?

In theory it depends on which device has better video DACs. Moving the
information from the receiver to the TV in the digital domain might
"protect" it from analog noise, but decent component cable will do that
in the analog domain.

If hooking everything up to your TV for video and every thing up to you
receiver for audio complicate changing inputs, I'd lean towards hooking
all the audio and video to the receiver.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
March 13, 2005 2:58:06 PM

Michelle Steiner wrote:

> I'm in the market for a new AV receiver. Quite a few of them can
> upconvert composite and S video to component, so I could simply run all
> my inputs to the AV receiver and have only one component video
> connection from the receiver to the TV.
>
> However, my satellite receiver also has HDMI output, so I can connect it
> directly to the TV. If I do that, I might as well connect the DVD
> player and VCR directly to the TV also (which is what I'm doing now),
> and save money on the receiver.
>
> So the question is how much, if any, of a difference there is in picture
> quality between component and HDMI cabling?
>
> (One other consideration for the receiver is that it has to have RIAA
> phono inputs, but that is aside from the video question.)

Based on what I have read, some people get better picture with
component and other with the HDMI. Depends on the source - cable set top
box, sat receiver, DVD - and the TV. With HDMI, there is device
configuration information going back and forth, so sometimes the TV has
to be turned on before the set top box or source - or the other way
around. I guess the sense that HDMI is still getting the bugs out of it.

Does you current receiver or system setup handle 5.1 sound? If it
doesn't, then you should consider getting a decent receiver & speakers
which can do that. 5.1 is becoming increasingly common on HD broadcasts.

I have been using my Yamaha receiver to switch between component video
sources, but if I get an HDMI DVD player, I have just enough ports to
connect the cable STB, DVD, OTA receiver, and my now currently unused
Tivo directly to the TV while the just the stereo and digital audio goes
to the Yamaha receiver. The picture quality should be slightly better
with a direct connection to the TV.

Alan F
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 3:27:10 PM

In article <3f2dnQiJ1eTx7KnfRVn-rQ@comcast.com>,
Alan Figgatt <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote:

> Does you current receiver or system setup handle 5.1 sound? If it
> doesn't, then you should consider getting a decent receiver &
> speakers which can do that. 5.1 is becoming increasingly common on HD
> broadcasts.

Yes, my receiver does 5.1, both Dolby digital and DTS.

March 13, 2005 3:40:06 PM

In article <1138980o5h4e589@corp.supernews.com>,
"Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote:

> If hooking everything up to your TV for video and every thing up to
> you receiver for audio complicate changing inputs, I'd lean towards
> hooking all the audio and video to the receiver.

That was my thought too, but I have a great remote (Harmony Remote) that
simplifies all of that.

March 13, 2005 4:51:10 PM

I found this article. It _may_ help.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.ht...

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
> I'm in the market for a new AV receiver. Quite a few of them can
> upconvert composite and S video to component, so I could simply run all
> my inputs to the AV receiver and have only one component video
> connection from the receiver to the TV.
>
> However, my satellite receiver also has HDMI output, so I can connect it
> directly to the TV. If I do that, I might as well connect the DVD
> player and VCR directly to the TV also (which is what I'm doing now),
> and save money on the receiver.
>
> So the question is how much, if any, of a difference there is in picture
> quality between component and HDMI cabling?
>
> (One other consideration for the receiver is that it has to have RIAA
> phono inputs, but that is aside from the video question.)
>
> --
> Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 4:51:11 PM

In article <izXYd.90229$H05.86552@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
"FDR" <_remove_spam_block_rzitka@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I found this article. It _may_ help.
>
> http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.ht...

I'm glad that you emphasized "may"; the conclusion of that article is
"it depends."

My dealer said I can try out a receiver, and if it doesn't offer any
advantages, I can return it for a full refund. I just may do that after
returning from vacation next month.

March 14, 2005 12:28:04 AM

"Michelle Steiner" <michelle@michelle.org> wrote in message
> I'm in the market for a new AV receiver. Quite a few of them can
> upconvert composite and S video to component, so I could simply run all
> my inputs to the AV receiver and have only one component video
> connection from the receiver to the TV.
>
> However, my satellite receiver also has HDMI output, so I can connect it
> directly to the TV. If I do that, I might as well connect the DVD
> player and VCR directly to the TV also (which is what I'm doing now),
> and save money on the receiver.
>
> So the question is how much, if any, of a difference there is in picture
> quality between component and HDMI cabling?

Here is my opinion. You probably won't see a bit difference and go with
what's easier. That having been said, when the intelligencia get through
with you, and give you 10 very complex and theoretical reasons why HDMI is
potentially better, you'll start imagining you see a difference and then
want the more difficult and expensive connection.

Try this (google is your friend):
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=hdmi+vs.+compone...
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:24:22 AM

In article <michelle-BE9589.13401912032005@news.west.cox.net>,
:
:However, my satellite receiver also has HDMI output, so I can connect it
:D irectly to the TV. If I do that, I might as well connect the DVD
:p layer and VCR directly to the TV also (which is what I'm doing now),
:and save money on the receiver.
:
:So the question is how much, if any, of a difference there is in picture
:quality between component and HDMI cabling?
:

i can't speak for hdmi. however on a samsung HLM507W fed from
the comcast hd set top box (motorola 6412), the component is way
softer and duller than the dvi connection from the hd box directly to
the set. i presume that something similar would be true if i had an
hdmi setup.

the component looked great until comcast gave me dvi with this hd set
top box. now i know better.
--
getting out of bed in the morning is an act of false confidence
- jules feifer

In article <1110752662.561792@irys.nyx.net>,
awouk@blackhole.nyx.net (arthur wouk) wrote:

> i can't speak for hdmi. however on a samsung HLM507W fed from the
> comcast hd set top box (motorola 6412), the component is way softer
> and duller than the dvi connection from the hd box directly to the
> set. i presume that something similar would be true if i had an hdmi
> setup.

Well, I guess that I could connect the HD DVR to the TV with component
cables and try to compare the methods.