Sign in with
Your question

Please help, I think its time to upgrade my video card.

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 10, 2007 3:54:22 PM

Ive never really been into gaming to much until recently. I was home sick for a few weeks and bought a few games to keep me occupied. Well COD2 got me hooked! The problem is, my system and more specifically my video card doesn't seem to handle COD2 very well. I have to turn down the quality settings and OC the video card just to get playable frame rates of around 35fps. Heres what my system looks like right now.

DFI Lanparty Nf4 UltraD
AMD 4200x2 @ 2.5ghz(250x10)
2x1gig OCZ Gold ddr500 3-4-3-8-1t(1:1)
74gig WD Raptor system drive
300gig WD storage drive
ATI X800XL AIW 256mb OC 425/520
Creative Xfi Xtreme music
Silverstone ST65zf 650w psu
CoolerMaster Centurion5 (80mm intake, 120mm exhaust)

So I think the X800xl is showing its age, it was fast 2 or 3 years ago but im pretty sure even todays midrange cards will outperform it by a decent margin. So I think its time for an upgrade. Im planning on building a complete new system in 6months to a year so I dont wanna put to much money into this system. Id like to keep the budget around $200. Any opinions on what video card to get for under $200?? The best deal ive found was this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I could add a nice after market cooler and still stay within my budget. Will this card let me play COD2 at decent framerates without having to turn down all the quality settings like I do with my 800xl? Any other ideas or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

More about : time upgrade video card

July 10, 2007 4:01:00 PM

You have a pretty high-end PC. No need to buy a new one. And I dont get why u have such a high-end PC if u didnt even game until recently..

In any case, according to the motherboard u have, Im seeing that u have two PCIe x16 slots.
Thus the best card to buy would be the 8800 GTS 320 for 260$.
If u buy it, u wont need a new PC for years.
July 10, 2007 4:49:01 PM

Track said:
You have a pretty high-end PC. No need to buy a new one. And I dont get why u have such a high-end PC if u didnt even game until recently..

In any case, according to the motherboard u have, Im seeing that u have two PCIe x16 slots.
Thus the best card to buy would be the 8800 GTS 320 for 260$.
If u buy it, u wont need a new PC for years.

I strongly disagree with the last bit, but agree with the rest. If you can afford a $260 upgrade, you will not be disappointed; the GTS is a very nice card that you will see flaunted and/or recommended quite a bit.

I don't mean to diss your system by any means Frankienyc (you can always look at my rig and laugh to make yourself feel better :D ), but its not THAT high-end. Its a very nice rig, but not high end. Your system WILL be good for some time to come, but it seems as though you enjoy gaming, and games always require upgrades, if you like them to look good and run well. The TRUE dx10 performance of the GTS hasn't really been proven yet, and I don't think it'll be proven till Crysis' release, but hey: the card is very nice, will pwn CoD2, and will make you happy for a long time to come. Will you get a "few years" out of your system? I don't think so. But it WILL last, and, remember: it IS a bajillion times better than mine :D 

Btw Track, I don't hate you or exist to contradict you or anything; its just coincidence that I disagree in 2 recent threads. Just wanted to put that out there, let you know :D 
Related resources
July 10, 2007 8:21:42 PM

I used to play that game on my 9600SE, and while framerate was unbearably slow in DX9, the DX7 path ran very well. And honestly in DX7 the game still looks very good. From the little comparisons I did DX9 didn't make a dramatic difference, except in framerate. So you could try the DX7 path.

I'm surprised you don't get better framerate with an X800XL though, that's my current video card. What resolution are you playing at?
July 10, 2007 10:24:13 PM

I play cod2 as well

but i play single player in DX9 mode

and multiplayer in DX7 mode

its nice to have 300 fps in multiplayer games :p  . plus as Ar_Asik said, you dont loose much visually. So if you wanna keep your money, then just flick over to dx7 mode in that game. otherwise go ahead with a change.
July 10, 2007 11:45:33 PM

lordaardvark2 said:

Btw Track, I don't hate you or exist to contradict you or anything; its just coincidence that I disagree in 2 recent threads. Just wanted to put that out there, let you know :D 

It's no coincidence... get used to it.

To the OP: For under $200, that X1950XT can't be beat.
!