Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 10, 2007 5:32:17 PM

Hello, Im interested in buying a new video card but i don’t want to buy something i can’t get the max out off or is too much for my system. I would appreciated any input. I have a p4 3.0speed processor. This is the mother board I have http://www.superwarehouse.com/Asus_P5P800_Motherboard/P.... I have looked at the gforce series 8, I think for my usage gaming mainly I should get the 8800 320mb but im not 100% sure if this is a wise idea and if the card would work fine on the mother board. Or is this video card too much for that mother board. Thanks in advance

(1st time posting sorry if i posted in wrong place)

More about : video card

July 10, 2007 5:44:28 PM

What's your budget, and what games do you play?
July 10, 2007 6:07:44 PM

Well you can get a 7600gt those are quite psu friendly and has good performance.
An x1950pro just sucks some serious juice from the psu and with that cpu i think more then a 7600gt is going to turn into a bottleneck.
Related resources
July 10, 2007 8:11:43 PM

What StrangeStranger said. And, in the future, try to use more descriptive titles than "video card", especially in a dedicated video card forum. ;)  For instance, "best video card for P4 3.0Ghz?"
July 10, 2007 8:11:58 PM

Im willing to spent up to $320 or so. As for the power supply i dont remember waht i have but i knwo is way more than what i need the current moment. I play RTS games mainly and supreame commander is a demamding game that is why the im looking for the upgrade.
July 10, 2007 8:17:10 PM

For SupCom the GPU upgrade won't do much good, you'd still be very limited due to your P4. SupCom likes Core 2 Duos and overclocked Athlon X2s, and not much else.
July 10, 2007 8:50:20 PM

I'm sorry but I just play games I don’t understand what you are saying "Supcom" "GUP" "Core 2 Duos" "Athlon X2s" I know some things about computers but not to your lvl.
July 10, 2007 9:03:50 PM

Supcom = supreme commander
GPU=Graphics Processing Unit=Video card
Core 2 duos=a type of intel processor
Athlon X2's =a type of AMD processor
just read in these forums and you will learn alot :) 
as for your video card, you have an AGP slot and a slower CPU so i would go for like a X1950 pro AGP
but you will most likely have to upgrade you PSU=Power Supply Unit=Power Supply
hehe
good like
(ps im only 14 )
July 10, 2007 9:22:40 PM

Quote:
yours is a AGP system, the best you can get is either a 1950pro or xt. in light of your proc you probably won't need more than the pro.


You are Wrong there. XFX has come out with a 7900 & 7950 series for AGP graphic cards.This is what us at NewEgg right now. XFX PVT71AYDF3 GeForce 7950GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail $269.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Listed below are all model #'s from XFX website.
NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT AGP 8X 512MB DDR3 (PV-T71A-YDL3, PV-T71A-YDF3) Pixels per Clock (peak) 24

NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT AGP 8X 256MB DDR3 (PV-T71A-UDF3) Pixels per Clock (peak) 24

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS AGP 8X 256MB DDR3 (PV-T71K-UDL3, PV-T71K-UDL7) Pixels per Clock (peak) 20

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS AGP 8X 256MB DDR3 (PV-T71K-UDF3, PV-T71K-UDF7) Pixels per Clock (peak) 20

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurations....

Seems XFX took a page from what Gainward did last year in Europe, when they came out with there AGP 7800gs+ cards.

Hope this helps you out some.


July 10, 2007 9:25:59 PM

1950 PRO and xt are about 160$ after rebate on newegg right now which allows for a decent PSU and still have money left over.Maybe some ram if you don't have 2gigs.
July 10, 2007 10:02:42 PM

Quote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102071
The Nvidias are overpriced compared to ATI's. And ATI outperforms them in this segment.


Lets see, hmmm only 12 PixelPipelines and very complicated when updating drivers. Compared to 20 to 24 PixelPipelines and drivers updating is simply and easy.

Guess I rather pay the added expense for more and ease of use then for something with less and hard to use.. :whistle: 
July 10, 2007 10:11:42 PM

Yoosty said:
Quote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102071
The Nvidias are overpriced compared to ATI's. And ATI outperforms them in this segment.


Lets see, hmmm only 12 PixelPipelines and very complicated when updating drivers. Compared to 20 to 24 PixelPipelines and drivers updating is simply and easy.

Guess I rather pay the added expense for more and ease of use then for something with less and hard to use.. :whistle: 


what kinda problems have you run into? iv had ati and nvidia cards, never had an issue with drivers from either company. if anything, the x1000 series drivers were much better image quality wise than the 7000 series cards.

so you would pay an extra $100 just cause the drivers "are complicated" :sarcastic: 

also, the x1950XT out performs all the current nvidia AGP lie up, including the 7950
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2007 10:40:06 PM

Yoosty said:
Quote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102071
The Nvidias are overpriced compared to ATI's. And ATI outperforms them in this segment.


Lets see, hmmm only 12 PixelPipelines and very complicated when updating drivers. Compared to 20 to 24 PixelPipelines and drivers updating is simply and easy.

Guess I rather pay the added expense for more and ease of use then for something with less and hard to use.. :whistle: 

The 1900 series is better than the 7900 series, not quite sure what youre saying here. And if the 1900 is cheaper, then its the better choice. And downloading and installing drivers is still downloading and installing drivers. To the OP, go with the 1900 for your agp, its currently the best agp card made, you wont be disappointed
a c 173 U Graphics card
a c 95 V Motherboard
July 10, 2007 11:03:40 PM

Yoosty said:

Lets see, hmmm only 12 PixelPipelines and very complicated when updating drivers. Compared to 20 to 24 PixelPipelines and drivers updating is simply and easy.

Guess I rather pay the added expense for more and ease of use then for something with less and hard to use.. :whistle: 


The pro might have "only" 12 pipelines (the XT has 16), but each pipeline has 3 shader units attached to it, giving it massive shader power. I also don't understand what you're talking about with a complicated updating process. AMD provides us with new drivers EVERY MONTH (for those of you who are looking for frequent updates.) and they are a breeze to use. Toss in the mentioned lower cost and higher performance, and you would have to be an Nvidia fanboy to buy the 7950 series cards. (did I forget to mention HDR and AA at the same time? Is there anything the 7 series can do better then the x1k?)
a b U Graphics card
July 10, 2007 11:18:06 PM

OGL? heheh
July 10, 2007 11:37:35 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
OGL? heheh



touché :pt1cable: 

but still....id still go for the x1950 cards

oh wait...i already have one :na: 
July 10, 2007 11:38:30 PM

Yoosty said:
Quote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814102071
The Nvidias are overpriced compared to ATI's. And ATI outperforms them in this segment.


Lets see, hmmm only 12 PixelPipelines and very complicated when updating drivers. Compared to 20 to 24 PixelPipelines and drivers updating is simply and easy.

Guess I rather pay the added expense for more and ease of use then for something with less and hard to use.. :whistle: 


Wow, you clearly don't know what you're talking about... :sarcastic:  ATI stopped going with the traditional "pixel pipelines" with the X1XXX series.
July 10, 2007 11:40:06 PM

blade85 said:
touché :pt1cable: 

but still....id still go for the x1950 cards

oh wait...i already have one :na: 


But does your PSU handle it OK??? :D  :lol: 
July 10, 2007 11:43:32 PM

kaotao said:
But does your PSU handle it OK??? :D  :lol: 



lol...you really wanna know....again? :lol: 
July 10, 2007 11:44:54 PM

Quote:
lola said: Hello, Im interested in buying a new video card but i don’t want to buy something i can’t get the max out off or is too much for my system.


The main point of this thread is to give "lola" the best choice for his oney and gaming experiance. With that said.

The Ati 1950gt series (with only 12 pipelines and cheaper by $90 on the 7950gt) maybe can run most current games at medium settings.

Now the XFX new 7900/7950 agp series cards (run at 20 for the 7900GT or 24 pipelines for the 7950GT), you can run at High graphic settings for games out now and those in current pipeline. Plus XFX has Double Full Lifetime warranty on there graphic cards.

Both the ATI 1950gt and XFX 7900GT/7950GT need an extra power supply connection. Plus no doubt that both ATI & Nvidia have other agp cards coming out for the 2400/2600 & 8000 series in near future to run on Vista and use dx10, but only using 32 Stream Processors at least (since they are completely different and not to be compared with pixal pipelines).

Now on my history of computers and graphic cars go back to 1995.
Matrox (pci)
voodoo 1 addon card (pci)
ATI (pci)
Canopus Voodoo2 addon card (pci)
Nvidia (1st gen) card (pci)
ATI Radeon 64DDR card (agp)
3DFX 5500 card (agp)
Nvidia 4600ti card and up to 7800gs> (which was used with a Intel 3.4ghz P4 cpu) (agp)
Nvidia 7950 gx2 Quad SLi (PCIe)

So when ATI/AMD does come out with a better card then Nvidia. I might go and buy one. The ATI 2900 xt was a start in the right direction, but came out with to young of drivers, huge power demand and runs very hot.

Have a Good Day now!!! :kaola: 
July 10, 2007 11:49:30 PM

uhhh.....have you not seen the reviews lately??

the x1950XT beats it in 95% of games on max settings + AA and AF at every resolution.


oh and dont take my word for it....use google, or here i'll make ur life slightly easier, check this link and play around a bit: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphics/charts.html


also last time i checked, ATI did come out with better cards for the last 3 versions (9000 series, the x100 series, and the x1000 series were in majority of the cases better than what nvidia had to offer at that same price range), were you asleep the last few years?
July 10, 2007 11:50:25 PM

Quote:
kaotao said : Wow, you clearly don't know what you're talking about... :sarcastic:  ATI stopped going with the traditional "pixel pipelines" with the X1XXX series.


Then whats is this in Red below.

Brand SAPPHIRE
Model 100171L
Interface
Interface AGP 4X/8X
Chipset
Chipset Manufacturer ATI
GPU Radeon X1950PRO
Core clock 580MHz
PixelPipelines 12(36 Pixel shader processor) :non: 
July 10, 2007 11:56:26 PM

sod the pixel pipeline numbers already......the 7950 gets outperformed by the so called "lower pipeline card". read my reply just above urs in case u missed it.
July 10, 2007 11:57:16 PM

Yoosty said:
Quote:
yours is a AGP system, the best you can get is either a 1950pro or xt. in light of your proc you probably won't need more than the pro.


You are Wrong there. XFX has come out with a 7900 & 7950 series for AGP graphic cards.This is what us at NewEgg right now. XFX PVT71AYDF3 GeForce 7950GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail $269.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Listed below are all model #'s from XFX website.
NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT AGP 8X 512MB DDR3 (PV-T71A-YDL3, PV-T71A-YDF3) Pixels per Clock (peak) 24

NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT AGP 8X 256MB DDR3 (PV-T71A-UDF3) Pixels per Clock (peak) 24

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS AGP 8X 256MB DDR3 (PV-T71K-UDL3, PV-T71K-UDL7) Pixels per Clock (peak) 20

NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS AGP 8X 256MB DDR3 (PV-T71K-UDF3, PV-T71K-UDF7) Pixels per Clock (peak) 20

http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/listConfigurations....

Seems XFX took a page from what Gainward did last year in Europe, when they came out with there AGP 7800gs+ cards.

Hope this helps you out some.


goddamn son!! im 17 and i thought that i was the youngest one among the people of this forum :lol: 
July 11, 2007 12:01:08 AM

Yoosty said:
Quote:
kaotao said : Wow, you clearly don't know what you're talking about... :sarcastic:  ATI stopped going with the traditional "pixel pipelines" with the X1XXX series.


Then whats is this in Red below.

Brand SAPPHIRE
Model 100171L
Interface
Interface AGP 4X/8X
Chipset
Chipset Manufacturer ATI
GPU Radeon X1950PRO
Core clock 580MHz
PixelPipelines 12(36 Pixel shader processor) :non: 


ok... :sarcastic:  If you reallyunderstood how all this works, then you wouldn't keep bringing up the whole pixel pipeline arguement. I do appreciate you validating my initial statement though.
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2007 12:07:42 AM

kaotao said:
ok... :sarcastic:  If you reallyunderstood how all this works, then you wouldn't keep bringing up the whole pixel pipeline arguement. I do appreciate you validating my initial statement though.


What you mean NewEgg isn't an authoritative source for information on VPU design. Who'da thunk it? :whistle: 

July 11, 2007 12:14:03 AM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
What you mean NewEgg isn't an authoritative source for information on VPU design. Who'da thunk it? :whistle: 


Heh heh, nice. :D 
a c 173 U Graphics card
a c 95 V Motherboard
July 11, 2007 12:21:23 AM

Yoosty said:


The Ati 1950gt series (with only 12 pipelines and cheaper by $90 on the 7950gt) maybe can run most current games at medium settings.



Wow. Clearly this must be spelled out for you.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphics/charts.html?modelx=33&model1=725&model2=710&chart=278 This is battlefield2142 @1600x1200 with 4aa/8af (max quality.) Keep in mind that this is the 256MB x1950 pro, against the 512MB 7950GT. Scores are .2FPS off, tie.

Do people play Oblivion? Same settings, different game. Both cards score low here, but the x1950pro as a percentage scores quite a bit higher.

How about prey? At 1600x1200, the 7950GT manages 5 more FPS. As a percentage, your looking at just over 15%. Not to bad for the more expensive card with more ram. (both are "playable" at 30FPS.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "medium settings." Toms seems to think that you can use max settings on several games with no issues. Yes the 7950GT beats it in games like Doom3 or Flight sim X (both seem to like Nvidia hardware over AMD.) But there are also times that I just showed you that the cheaper "12 pipeline card" can beat the one you're suggesting. If you want real power, you can always get the x1950XT, which should beat the 7950GT with ease. (scores 8 more FPS on Doom3 then the 7950GT.)
July 11, 2007 12:57:02 AM

well it seem a bit more than just a video card needs to be upgraded, So I read some go for AMD and others say Intel for gaming. At this point a confuse as hell last I recall when i was hook on pcs AGP slots was what was use for video cards now i read here "AGP system" what else is out there, I check new egg and there are so many options is too much for me :)  . Hope ya dont mind but using a 2k budget to rebuild the system what build would it be. Focusing on gaming alone. The hard drive an effient one but no need to have crazy ammount of space 20g is more than enought space for me i think (only save 2 to 3 games on it) then is delete and install new game. The power supply i have now i think is fine still is 500 watts ultra. (the budget is 2k but dont mean we have to spent it all) Well thanks ahead onces again and ty for helping again seem Im really out of date. My last custom build was 5years ago hehe from there is been just replacing one thing after the next. Well looking forward to see what you guys come up. Thanks againg for taking the time and making my decission a bit more short.


PS Iam curios about pc build with cooling system like radiators kind of thing. Is that hard to install?
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2007 3:40:30 AM

Do you plan on keeping your monitor> If so, whats the resolution/size? Going from there, unless its a large monitor Id recomend the 8800gts 320 mega byte. Great card. As for the rest, Itd best be taken up in the general builds or cpu forums
July 12, 2007 5:14:38 PM

Well for blade85 the x100 series weren't better then nvidia, that's when nvidia came back very strong beat the heck out of ati i mean i still know people using 6600gt's and 6800's how many do you know are using x800's and they where smarter too i mean x100 series didn't even have sm3.0.
July 12, 2007 5:36:57 PM

cristip60 said:
Well for blade85 the x100 series weren't better then nvidia, that's when nvidia came back very strong beat the heck out of ati i mean i still know people using 6600gt's and 6800's how many do you know are using x800's and they where smarter too i mean x100 series didn't even have sm3.0.


I know of plenty of people using X800 cards (me being one of them), and the 6800's most definitely didn't and still don't "beat the heck out of them". And what's the point of having sm3.0 if at the time hardly any games supported it, and the cards themselves (except the 6800ultra) weren't quite powerful enough to fully utilize it?
July 12, 2007 9:05:29 PM

cristip60 said:
Well for blade85 the x100 series weren't better then nvidia, that's when nvidia came back very strong beat the heck out of ati i mean i still know people using 6600gt's and 6800's how many do you know are using x800's and they where smarter too i mean x100 series didn't even have sm3.0.


I stand corrected in terms of performance. However I do know of quite a few people that still use x800 cards :p  .
July 12, 2007 10:16:44 PM

Here's a build for about $1229 before Shipping and taxes:

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT ATX12V / EPS12V 550W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Western Digital Caviar SE WD2500JS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You are likely going to need a new power supply especially with a 8800GTX, and 20GB of HDD space is not much anymore, games are taking anywhere between 4GB-8GB each and Vista alone can take I believe 10GB+, the bare minimum for HDD space now is ranging on 100-120GB at the VERY least.

The motherboard I chose for you has support for DDR3 in case you want to use that in the future. I'm not sure if you need an OS or not, so I didn't list one, but if you do and you plan on getting Vista then please get Vista 64-bit version and not Vista 32-bit, otherwise you'll end up paying Microsoft down the road for another OS when you want more than 4GB of ram.
July 13, 2007 1:42:38 PM

Kaotao let me say it like this except for he x800 there wasn't a good card in that series that i can recall. And have you ever tried playing tomb rider legend on an x800 with full details and next gen content? Well i have seen this game on an 6800ultra with all that enabled and it was still playable, because tomb rider legend uses sm3.0 and when you enable next gen on an x800 card you get some massive screen corruption, so sm3.0 is useles huh?
July 13, 2007 3:15:18 PM

The system EMP recomended will play anything you want to play and still leave you with enough money left over to get a nice 22in.+ monitor.No point in spending a bunch on the old system.If you don't want to do that I still say,for AGP the 1950 series rules the roost.I run a 7900gt that I am happy with at the moment so nobody start the fanboy crapola.
July 13, 2007 4:35:55 PM

cristip60 said:
Kaotao let me say it like this except for he x800 there wasn't a good card in that series that i can recall. And have you ever tried playing tomb rider legend on an x800 with full details and next gen content? Well i have seen this game on an 6800ultra with all that enabled and it was still playable, because tomb rider legend uses sm3.0 and when you enable next gen on an x800 card you get some massive screen corruption, so sm3.0 is useles huh?


Read the whole post before you reply... :sarcastic:  I said at the time of their release there were only 1 or 2 games that supported sm3.0. I also said that except for maybe the 6800ultra, the rest of the 6800's weren't quite powerful enough to fully utilize sm3.0. Even with the ultra, the frame rates plummet in Far Cry when HDR is enabled. When it came to raw power, the X8XX's were a bit ahead overall. I do agree though that the rest of that generation (X700s...) were a big disappointent.
July 13, 2007 5:21:30 PM

I wan't to assure you all that im not a fanboy but maybe features that we don't see the point in having today maybe tomorow will have sense in having them.
That's just a point of view or an alternative because we don't know exactly what dx10 games will be. And how will they behave on curent generation dx10 capable cards.
July 13, 2007 9:58:12 PM

cristip60 said:
we don't know exactly what dx10 games will be. And how will they behave on curent generation dx10 capable cards.


so far....pretty crap tbh.
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2007 11:49:37 PM

kaotao said:
I do agree though that the rest of that generation (X700s...) were a big disappointent.


I don't know how the X700 was a big dissapointment. The X700Pro was less than the GF6600GT in many situations (but not in all by a long shot), but the plain X700 was faster than the plain GF6600 by the same margin. And then the X300 outperformed the GF6200 wich couldn't do OpenEXR HDR either (except those that were really just crippled GF6600s).

So overall out of all the lines launched by both, that generaton was the closest that either company has stayed to each other where it mean more about the suffix that cam after the card number than just the colour of the badge and the first few digits alone.

I'd say the FX5600 and X1600 were far bigger dissapointments, very similar to this generation of #6## cards. As a lineup though the X8/7/3 did well against the GF6 series.
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2007 11:57:07 PM

cristip60 said:
I wan't to assure you all that im not a fanboy but maybe features that we don't see the point in having today maybe tomorow will have sense in having them.


I think you have very selective memory, so I don't know if you're a fanboi or just don't know the whole story. But the argument that could be made about maybe the features will pay off, while supported by some mild examples from the GF6 generation, is also refutted by the FX generation. That is almost unplayable in most DX9 games, and often needs a special code path to run, or like Oblivion, a patch to allow it to run with things even more crippled than just base DX9.

That could be the case with all these new DX10 cards as well (from both IHVs) and until we know for sure, adding alot of value to DX10 is crazy.
IMO, add 10% to the value of the fps or card per year that this card is expected to be in the new rig. so for a very long term build like 3 years then it's almost 1/3 of the importance of the card, but if the cards going to be upgraded by next summer, then forget it, get a DX9 card that performs 10-20% better for the same price or less.

One thing about the X series cards from ATi, they played all their spec (SM2.0) titles to the max with all features available in SM2.0 titles including some optional things like Geometry instancing in FartCry.

Will any of these new DX10 cards be able to say the same about SM4.0/DX10?
July 14, 2007 12:26:18 PM

Well i don't know about it ape well maybe the x300 could do hdr but would it still be called gaming or slideshowing.
And for dx10 there is absolutely no full dx10 game out there they are all derived from dx9 look at this ape http://www.hothardware.com/News/DX9_vs_DX10_with_Lost_P... and let me know if you see any difference.
Dx10 is just used(at least now) so that people ho don't know nothing about computers to buy vista and a dx10 capable card. I mean until a year or so we won't even know what dx10 will look like not even crysis will look to different from actual dx9 games.
July 14, 2007 6:21:42 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
I don't know how the X700 was a big dissapointment. The X700Pro was less than the GF6600GT in many situations (but not in all by a long shot), but the plain X700 was faster than the plain GF6600 by the same margin. And then the X300 outperformed the GF6200 wich couldn't do OpenEXR HDR either (except those that were really just crippled GF6600s).

So overall out of all the lines launched by both, that generaton was the closest that either company has stayed to each other where it mean more about the suffix that cam after the card number than just the colour of the badge and the first few digits alone.

I'd say the FX5600 and X1600 were far bigger dissapointments, very similar to this generation of #6## cards. As a lineup though the X8/7/3 did well against the GF6 series.


*takes his foot out of his mouth* I didn't think that through very well.
July 15, 2007 10:01:37 AM

kaotao said:
*takes his foot out of his mouth* I didn't think that through very well.


busted :whistle:  :kaola: 

oh wait...i was on the same boat...lovely :na: 
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2007 5:02:38 PM

cristip60 said:
Well i don't know about it ape well maybe the x300 could do hdr but would it still be called gaming or slideshowing.


No more so than the GF6200. And neither could do OpenEXR HDR, only int based HDR like in HL2. So really what's the big benefit of the GF6200 line other than later when titles like Splinter Cell optionally limited their fallback support? At the time of launch the situation was nowhere near what you say it was, and the performance was speckeled throughout their respective lineups.

Quote:
And for dx10 there is absolutely no full dx10 game out there they are all derived from dx9 look at this ape http://www.hothardware.com/News/DX9_vs_DX10_with_Lost_P... and let me know if you see any difference.


Well I never said they were full ground->up DX10 games, but regardles of that implementation of the SM3.0 style implementation in FartCry as it's intro to the world, the new cards don't seem up to the task of Full DX10 or partial DX10, which while doing things more efficiently have also tempted game developers to do much more, and therefor the performance plummets. Looking at the raw benchmarks of processing power neither seems to have the ability to do enough in DX10 to make it much more than the 10% consideration when buying.
But the screen shots you link to are couched to look like nothing, not to focus on the differences. Despite that there are differences, the main thing is to most people they aren't worth the framerate differences, so I don't know why they limit their examples.

Quote:
Dx10 is just used(at least now) so that people ho don't know nothing about computers to buy vista and a dx10 capable card. I mean until a year or so we won't even know what dx10 will look like not even crysis will look to different from actual dx9 games.


We won't know until it releases whether or not it looks different. The assumption that it will look different or won't is equally invalid, but that the cards currently have next to no DX10 value and their future DX10 value is very questionable, makes their influence on purchases very small, and considering the push to additional features from D3D 10.1 and the current cards weakness at even many of the features supported by D3D 10.0, I wouldn't give it much value. And right now none of them appear to have the same outlook the R9700 had. Could be wrong, but right now it doesn't look good for these card 1-2 years down the line.
July 16, 2007 5:26:24 PM

Ape sorry if i have wrote something wrong and upset you, i was just saying an opinion. As for the 6 series and any series i don't think the low end parts where made for gaming i just pointed out that it was a great graphics card series, lot's of 6600gt's and 6800gt/ultra/gs where sold, and i think that after the fx series nvidia really hit the jackpot with the 6th series.
July 16, 2007 5:29:50 PM

Ahh, if only the days of 9700 would come back...


...when hardware actually surpassed the hype surrounding it.


*wipes misty-eyed tear from cheek*
July 16, 2007 5:31:52 PM

cristip60 said:
Ape sorry if i have wrote something wrong and upset you, i was just saying an opinion. As for the 6 series and any series i don't think the low end parts where made for gaming i just pointed out that it was a great graphics card series, lot's of 6600gt's and 6800gt/ultra/gs where sold, and i think that after the fx series nvidia really hit the jackpot with the 6th series.


sales could be attributed to the late release of the x800s more than the prowess of the gf6...

...sales numbers != product quality.

just my 2 bits. :) 
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2007 9:04:29 PM

cristip60 said:
Ape sorry if i have wrote something wrong and upset you, i was just saying an opinion.


I'm not upset, sorry if you think your opinion is inviolate and I can't comment on it being factually incorrect. If you get upset with anyone who disagrees with you even vociferously, then that would be bad.

Quote:
As for the 6 series and any series i don't think the low end parts where made for gaming i just pointed out that it was a great graphics card series,


I don't disagree that it was a good series, with lots of recommendations from many of us, it was definitely better than their previous outing. What I disagree with was your statement, which wasn't the above, but instead the revisionist "Kaotao let me say it like this except for he x800 there wasn't a good card in that series that i can recall." which may be what you recall, but I'm pointing out that your recollection doesn't match reality. As for being a gamer, that wasn't your statement, it was the whole series you mentioned, and you also mention DX10 capable cards not hig end, so really what were you comparing if not gaming?

Quote:
lot's of 6600gt's and 6800gt/ultra/gs where sold,


Which doesn't mean much, lots of FXs were sold, and more Pentiums sold than Athlons, sales doesn't indicate quality alone.

Quote:
and i think that after the fx series nvidia really hit the jackpot with the 6th series.


Agreed, but that's different than what you were saying.
That you paint the entire X series just because you like the GF6 series does little for those assurances that you're not a fanboi.
!