New system with Ultra 120 heatsink has high temp

secondsystem

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Thanks Again I would not have a computer right now if it weren't for the support at the forumz. Now I am having heating issues with my new PC. There are other issuse but this one is first.

I just built a PC that I intend to overclock with a:
Mobo: gigabyte P965 DS3 (rev 1.3)
Processor: Core 2 duo E6600
Ram: Corsair XMS2 2x1GB DDR21066
Video Card: 320MB EVGA 8800GTS Overclocked (550Mhz)
Heatsink: Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Case: Antec P180B
Monitor: 22" G-skill 1080P

I stuck a 120 mm fan on the heatsink (which is kind of a pain to attach) and pointed it to blow out of the back of the case. I can't get below 38 and I usually hover around 43 degrees. 47+ while gaming. My fans are on high. Should I be getting numbers in the 20's or 30's max? I have never overclocked, but this does not sound promising.

I have not updated my bios. I know I should do this but I have no Idea how. I tried do download and run it but it said something about incompatible with windows x64 edition.

I have not attempted to overclock yet.
I do not have a floppy drive but I do have a flash drive.
I am using Speedfan to get these temparatures.

Speedfan is not entirely accurate, but those temps do not look bad. Do you have enough intake at the front of your case? Looking at the pics on Newegg, I can't tell where it's getting intake; I just see good exhaust.

whats your ambient temperature? 20's will probably be a little too optimistic... low 30s are not that unreasonable. how about load temps? also are you sure you attached it correctly?

secondsystem

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
The Antec case has a fan on the top side toward the back that is an intake. There is also a fan in the back side at the top that is an exhaust. So air comes in from the top, throught the heatsink and out the back.

What other program than speedfan gives good temp ratings. Sorry I haven't been able to reply in a while since the computer in question will not boot or post or make any noise whatsoever.

Here is my post about that problem.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243618-31-system-worked-fine-days-post

$1400 has gotten me plenty of headache.