Serious Problem!!! HELP

jibble

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
ok, so about a week or so ago i converted 4 of my drives to NTFS from FAT32 using partion magic, they're all 250 gig storage drives. For some reason now almost every time i restart it does a chkdsk and scrolls a huge list of stuff for those 4 drives. It's never really done anything bad until the last restart(today) and one folder, ironically the one with ALL of my work(im a graphic designer), magically is no longer there. I have it backed up as of Tuesday but I'm trying to figure out what the hell its doing and WHY! why is it doing a chkdsk on every restart and how can i prevent this from happening again. and most importantly, is there a way to get my folder back?

Now instead of enjoying my weekend i'll be writing emails to my clients and working for the next three days straight to get caught up. THANKS WINDOWS!

jibble

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
undelete could not find the folder either
im also now getting this...

windows delayed write file popup

whats going on?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I'd start by disconnecting the data drives, start the machine and then reinstall them one at time, reinstalling the drivers might work. Check all your BIOS hdd settings as well. If that doesn't work, I'd rerun Partition Magic. I've never had a problem doing anything with Partition Magic including converting to NTFS unless the process was interrupted because of an electrical problem that turn off the computer, e.g., a power surge, or me doing something stupid.

jibble

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
so got everything so show up in partition magic, formatted and everything LOOKS fine...but it looked fine the first time i did this. Obviously something went wrong last time and i don't want it to happen again thats why im spam posting this...

Tell me if this looks right...any tips would help

So here is what partition magic says about the drive AFTER the format

Local Disk (F
Type - NTFS
Size - 238,472.7
Used MB - 71.7 (is that normal?)
Unused MB - 238,400.9
Status - Active
Pri/Log - Primary (should it be Logical?)
Edit/Delete Message

jibble

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
ill try that for my f: drive...

NOW my music drive is not showing up AT ALL in XP. I did a chkdsk on it(without repairing) and it found it and it came up with this...

"File record segment ***** is unreadable"

I've got alot of music i'd like to keep...is there a way to save it(oh please oh please) without running a 60hour recovery program?

This is something i've never encountered before...

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006

It should be primary as far as i know. (logical is only if you want to divide up a partition more so you can have more than four partitions for example)

Looks fine to me.

do a chkdsk F: /f

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/e n-us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true