CPU to MS Excel Intensive use

JoaoP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Hi Guys!

Im looking for a CPU to use with excel. (MS Excel 2003 + Windows XP Pro).

I use the excel to calculate more than 100.000 cells each second.

Is AMD X2 DualCore 6000+ a good CPU or shoud i wait and buy one Core 2 Duo 6600 cpu or another AMD CPU.

Someone has ideas?

There are another (relatively cheap) but beter CPU?

(In that moment im not thinking use the multithread features but in the future maybe!)

Thanks for all the help!

PS: Sorry my english, its not my mother language!

JoaoP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
It apears a bad choice!

In comparation with the c2d CPUs!

:(

I need find a good CPU! The $ is important but not essencial. So whats the best?

JoaoP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
I can wait!

But as i use now the Excel2003 (is not multitread) i think (maybe a erroneous thinking) the speed maximum is very important.
Ok the L2 cache, FSB etc are importants too!).

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
out of interest what do you do that needs to do 100000 calculations each second and shouldnt you be using something like MatLab to be calculating this, i only ask because i work a lot with excel to but not quite in the same capacity

oh and to follow the other advisors yeah hold out for a C2D but you may want to make sure you get a least 2gb ram for it also

accord99

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2004

In that case, you'll probably should get the E6850. It's still pretty affordable after the price cuts. Also, you might want to try out your Excel app with 2007, I was looking at previous reviews from Xbitlabs and Excel 2007 multi-threads suprisingly well:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-x2-6000_5.html#sect0

The QX6700 is almost twice as fast as the E6700.

JoaoP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Im trying something, with realtime data from various stocks entering in a sheet.
That data is allwais changing.

Im not calculating 100.000. But 298.000!
Cause, with that data i perform multiple calculations with 2000 (roows) x 148 colums (until FR)... at a frequency of 1/2 second.

I use now a Intel core 2 duo 2GHz L2-4mb (I have a macbook with XP) and it hadle it reasonable fast.
(I have a 1600 mhz centrino but it cant handle the task!)

I pretend a brut force stable structure, and faster! So my question! :)

I dont use the MatLab cause i never use it! And i dont uderstand it. I tried use the SPSS but it was complicated!

(Im a Lawyer... Mathematics are not my area! :) )

JoaoP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Ups! My english!....

.... I want a Brut force stable struture, and faster!...

Accord99... If i wait until 22 jully i may buy the Q6600 ... With multithread ---- upgrade to the MS Excel 2007 ) it should handle that calculations faster and a litle more! :)

JoaoP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
I have tried the excel 2007, but i dont like it! (Sure! It have some good features like not so limited in the rows).

But if i dont use the multithread thing, and simply with the XP pro (32bits) can i efectively use the power of a Dual Core 2 ou a Quad Core?

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
you can problery buy a e4300 and that would be fine, i know that for masses of caluculation C2D excel, for example i know this isnt great but my e6300 does a WU (folding) a day if not faster. also, im guess if you your doing that much mathatic work your system will proberly be on for long scretches, if not 24/7 so unless you want a small furnis on all day i would go for the C2D option as it will save money long term

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006

I think you will be fine with a e6300 in comparison to AMD 6000X2, however if you have the cash, go for the Q6600, and i would go for Excel 2007 it is supposed to be radically better 2003. Also once its implemettented you wont have to upgrade fr a while, two bird in one STONE

ttrebilcock

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
What you need for fast excel is this - they are exclusive - you are ONLY as fast as the weakest link

#1 - cpu speed
#2 - front side bus
#3 - ram

Ram - go with at least 800mz ram - most new machines can take this and up to 1GZ frequency and up - use at least 1GB of ram size - I use 4GB in size of 800mz ram

FSB - this is critical and limits the bandwidth communication between the CPU and ram - EXCCEL WORKS IN THE RAM ENVIRONMENT -

Ity is very likely even a 1GZ CPU will be mostly idle regardless of the feedback from CNT ALT DELETE

themike

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Sorry for my bad english, my first langage is french.

First thing, as a general rule, Intel CPUs tend to be better in apps than AMD while AMD CPU tends to perform better in 3d games.

I will clearly look Intel biaised, but I'm not, I've build tons of systems and many of them were AMD. There is no benchmark for this, but I've always noticed that for good and fluid constant performance in regular Windows apps especially when heavily multitasking, the chipset makes a good difference, and there is nothing like an Intel chipset (exception was the AMD 760 chipset with the old Tbird, this one was really good too).

My personal recommendation would be a cheap core 2 with a P35 motherboard o/c to something like 2.8-3.0 Ghz for long term reliability and 4-6 GB RAM. Yes, these can get 4 Ghz, but who here can really confirm that such an overclock is reliable for 2-3 years with regular cooling/PSU/some hot sumer days/etc.

If you can still spend a bit more, add some cheap passive cooling graphic card so your memory bandwith isint shared between the CPU and integrated graphics.

And of course, a serial ATA 2 with NCQ hard drive. dont use some old 40 GB P-ATA hard drive, it will hurt your system's performance a lot. If you are about to flame me about this and have never actually seen what such an old hard drive does in a recent system, try it first.