Sign in with
Your question

First build by 11 and 9 year old finished! Thanks to All. (Video)

Last response: in Systems
July 11, 2007 9:19:02 AM

THG and Forumz folks thanks for the help in getting our build finsihed.

I have not have time to update the diary (but will soon do so).

In the mean time take a look at a little (2 1/2 min) Video Montage of our build:

July 11, 2007 11:57:53 PM

WOW thats awesome. i enjoyed reading thru each stage and that video tops the lot. damn, they are lucky kids lol.

they look sooo happy too. good job and hope the pc goes well, gonna get the kids to overclock too? wud be a shame to not use the potential of a c2d and that damn sexy 680i mobo :p 
July 12, 2007 1:12:15 AM

Awesome, thanks for sharing!
Related resources
July 12, 2007 2:05:09 AM

That is so awsome!
July 12, 2007 2:06:47 AM

Nice to see the kids do the work. Great video. Thx :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
July 12, 2007 2:49:56 AM

nice work
July 12, 2007 3:23:07 AM

This is a wonderful thing you have done, built a great computer and had an interesting time on the way it seems lol. You have given them a great oppurtunity. I wish you well with it and hope it runs good for you. There is always upgrades for them to mess around with lol. Be sure to tell them they did an increadiable first time build.
July 12, 2007 4:30:46 AM

fate0n3 said:
This is a wonderful thing you have done, built a great computer and had an interesting time on the way it seems lol. You have given them a great oppurtunity. I wish you well with it and hope it runs good for you. There is always upgrades for them to mess around with lol. Be sure to tell them they did an increadiable first time build.
I think the OP is one of the two builders.

@OP: Kudos :bounce: 
July 12, 2007 6:09:16 AM

I am so happy to see that young children are taking intrest it building computers and relating on Forumzs. But they did not practice safe computer building. I did not see a single static strap on anyone You are very lucky that the computer worked. Please teach your kids about safe computer building because you could end up with a very expensive pile of worthless parts. The movie and music were wonderful I enjoyed watching as much as they did building. Thank you for sharing that with us.
July 12, 2007 8:18:10 AM

Folks, thanks for all the nice comments.

perham3d said:
they look sooo happy too. good job and hope the pc goes well, gonna get the kids to overclock too? wud be a shame to not use the potential of a c2d and that damn sexy 680i mobo :p 

Already changed the original thermal paste with Artic Cooling MX-1. Once it set, we will get into some OCing. Oh yeah, we already did OC the 7600GTs from 650GPU/1600Mem to 725GPU/1700Mem. very stable. :bounce: 

fate0n3 said:

Ty. It is running GREAT. Got lots of good advice here. And yes, the build was "designed" for upgrade from the start, that is why we got the more expensive 680i mobo. The current parts are a combination of existing parts (1 GPU, and PSU), and what was possible with budget.

Here some "desired" upgrade wishlist items for Santa:
- 8800GTX (or whichever DX10 cards available)
- PSU
- CPU
- 30" monitor
- Vista (when it becomes more stable)
- Better cooling
- 4 Gigs total mem

Uhmm, I wonder if I am now addicted to this hobby ;) 

Zorg said:
I think the OP is one of the two builders.

@OP: Kudos :bounce: 

I'm actually the dad, but tomorrow the kids will be thrilled that people have watched the video and made (like always) very nice comments.

NamronSllim said:
I am so happy to see that young children are taking intrest it building computers and relating on Forumzs. But they did not practice safe computer building. I did not see a single static strap on anyone You are very lucky that the computer worked. Please teach your kids about safe computer building because you could end up with a very expensive pile of worthless parts. The movie and music were wonderful I enjoyed watching as much as they did building. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Yes, my bad! I did some reading and went with touching the chasis thing, and the kids were very good about it. It was a bit of a trade off with the "dangers" associated with energetic kids with wires tied to them.

And most of all I am glad folks enjoyed the little video, it sure made me realize how much effort they put into it.

And lastly, for the folks that suggested in the diary that Tom and Maria deserved a reward, I am happy to tell you that Tom get an iPod Shuffle, and Maria a Zen MP3 players.

July 12, 2007 9:10:12 AM

I'm sure with all the static energetic kids produce these days, if you wrap a wire on them you could have 2 new PSU instantly.
July 12, 2007 5:32:18 PM

Anyone have a link for those static strap thingies?
July 13, 2007 6:32:33 AM

That was very touching, I actually shed a tear watching it. Something about kids does that to me. You're a good man letting them have this experience :) 
July 13, 2007 8:39:43 PM

Watching this vid makes me think I am over paid!

Nice job, oddly I feel like I should do this with my son now.. Inspiring really.
July 13, 2007 11:30:37 PM

Grieve, you definately should!!!!

I can't explain it, but now I am using this build for my work, and knowing that the kids built it makes it feel faster than any water cooled or Quad or 8800Ultra ;-)

Also playing racing games with the kids and them noticing that Dirt has low frame rates and saying we might need faster Video, almost brought tears to my eyes :cry: 

And while it took over 3 weeks for the build to finish (kids have busy schedules), I will never forget the experience.
!