8800 Mod?...Well It Worked For Me!

ryanthesav

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
Well I was having temp probs with my 8800. It was idling at 65c...which isnt too high but it was maxing at 80c during the summer. I finally decided to just take the plastic shell around the cpu off. Then I placed a dual powered slot fan under the card, while leaving the initial gpu fan the same. I now get idle tamps of 56c and max at about 70. Tell me what you guys think of this.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

I'm assuming you meant to say GPU.

If it has improved your temps that is good. Have your case temps gone up? One disadvantage is that now you are not exhausting that hot air out the back of your case.
You also could achieve similar results by using a utility like Rivatuner to raise the fan speed. I don't know how hot it has to get to turn itself up at default, but it normally doesn't go over 60%. This would add a little noise but I'm guessing your slot cooler does also.

I found last year at some point my idle temps jumped on my 8800. I suspect Nvidia turned down the default fan speed on one of the bios updates but I really don't know. I also tried running without the fan shroud but after about a half hour my case temps climbed 2c and that was only using 2d.

I've accepted high temps while gaming, I get 74-78c. For 2d I now idle at about 54c with ambient of 21-22c by under clocking on start up. For me this has been the best solution. The fan can stay at default because I'm generating less heat and also using 20w less power.