skylinev35

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Hi,

I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250 GB (ST3250820AS) installed on my Mac Pro. I've been given a Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB HDD. I was wondering if it was worth me using this WD as my main hard drive instead of the Seagate. Which is faster?

Thanks

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
speed wise, they're both the same. I happen to like WD as they are very reliable. A lot of salesmen say they dont like Seagate but thats there opinion. I have 2 WD Caviar SE16 SATA II's at 250GB each and they are perfectly fine for me.

personally i have a seagate drive and WD drive... i bought the seagate because it was onsale... ill never make that mistake again..

Runs about 7c warmer, and is a heck of a lot noisier.

the seagate is a 160gb and the WD is 250gb... i would expect the seagate to run cooler >.>

UCD2005

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
I had mechanical failures from Maxtor hard drives. As for Seagate hard drives, I had a irregular behaviour that frequently pauses when I play MP3's. I'm using a raptor now for Windows XP. I later bought a Buffalo external hard drive for important files and software, which is using a WD250GB hard drive. If you are going to store important files or software, I would use Western Digital.

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Go with WD mate. Those drives are freakin immortal! I have a raptor 160GB, a 500GB, a 250GB, a 160GB and a 40GB back from 1999 and they all work perfectly! Can't wait for my sataII raptor to arrive! Also in 2008 Q2 i think, the 15k's are coming out! That will be sweet.

gr3n4d3g1rl

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
My Barracuda 320GB had been running a lil hot expecially after installing vista. Ever since I installed the OS it's kinda been "humming" Lol... I'm getting a second drive which will probably be a WD.

sailer

Splendid
I use both Seagates and WD. The Seagates have lasted a bit longer, but otherwise I've noticed little difference. The oldest working dard drive I have is a 7 year old Seagate, if that means anything.

paq7512

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Right now I have 3 seagate hard drives and they all run fine. My old computer had about 2. Western digital do run cooler and don't die as fast. We have a chart on dead hard drives and it is 2:1 that Seagate drives die over WD drives.

surf2di4

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
the only hard drives i have ever had a bad experience with was the deathstars by IBM. i have both 2 seagate (250 gb) and 4 WD Raptors 74gb

asgallant

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
I usually go with Seagate for the 5 year warranty, but thats more because I've had bad luck with other brands in the past. I've had HDD's from almost all of the manufacturers, and I've had failures from every brand except Seagate (which I've only been using for 4 years or so, so no surprise there). Every Maxtor HDD I have laid eyes upon has died at some point, usually after the warranty expires. I've had 3 IBM/Hitachi Deathstars, 2 of which died (1 within warranty), the third of which is still going after 7 years. I've used more WD's than I can count, and most of them live passed their usefulness. I've probably RMA'd 4 or 5 over the past 15 years, each of which was RMA'd just before the warranty expired (WD also replaced 3 of them with higher capacity models). The WD Raptors I use now have never given me problems, and they're about 3 years old. Take it for what it's worth.

akahuddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
They'll both be fine.

I have 5 WD's (few months), 1 Maxtor (1 year), 2 Seagates (1 and 9 years respectively)... that's right biotches! 9 years. They'll all serve you fine.

phassat

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
I personally have Seagate and Hitachi and never found any problem with both hard drive whatsoever. I consider myself lucky as some of my hard drive is 10+ old and I haven't found any problem as well. Before I found out that some people experience hard drive failure, I always thought it is non sense as I have never found my hard drive fails on me.

Nevertheless, many people says that WD is better than Seagate in term of speed and reliability and I intend to try it for my next rig. So I'll choose WD over Seagate for now.

jeditim

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
I have previously usedf WD which was fine until the drive crashed without warning. I replaced it with another ED and never had a problem. I built a new system last month and decided to go with Seagate...they are the same to me in regards to speed and temps.