Sign in with
Your question

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 1066FSB, 4MB Cache, not running both cores?

Last response: in CPUs
July 11, 2007 1:34:36 PM

Hi

I purchased a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz CPU (1066FSB, 4MB Cache). The motherboard I purchased is an Intel DP35PD (Dragontail Peak), which uses the new Intel Bearlake P35 chipset. When I used the CPU-Z utility to check out the spec of my CPU, I saw that the core selector is greyed out so I can't select the different cores. I also own a Logitech G15 gaming keyboard that can display your CPU usage on the display screen on the keyboard. The screen does however display both cores, and their usages, as well as in Windows' Task Manager. While playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for example I only see a load on the one core and not the other one as well. Is something wrong with the setup? Why is CPU-Z greying-out the core selections? Does S.T.A.L.K.E.R. only utilize one core? Please help.
July 11, 2007 2:07:06 PM

What core selector?
July 11, 2007 2:11:50 PM

I think its normal for the selector to be grey'd out, since it a single package CPU with more then 1 core.

So as long as you see it says 2 cores at the bottom, it should be reading correctly.
Related resources
July 11, 2007 2:26:11 PM

The selector should definitely work. I tried it on another Core 2 Duo based PC at work and one is able to select the different cores with CPU-Z.
a c 140 à CPUs
a b å Intel
July 11, 2007 2:38:42 PM

spawn_eternal said:
Hi

I purchased a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz CPU (1066FSB, 4MB Cache). The motherboard I purchased is an Intel DP35PD (Dragontail Peak), which uses the new Intel Bearlake P35 chipset. When I used the CPU-Z utility to check out the spec of my CPU, I saw that the core selector is greyed out so I can't select the different cores. I also own a Logitech G15 gaming keyboard that can display your CPU usage on the display screen on the keyboard. The screen does however display both cores, and their usages, as well as in Windows' Task Manager. While playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for example I only see a load on the one core and not the other one as well. Is something wrong with the setup? Why is CPU-Z greying-out the core selections? Does S.T.A.L.K.E.R. only utilize one core? Please help.

CPU'z has a CPU selector not a core selector. you have one CPU with 2 cores

As for your game. That came is not designed to take advantage of the 2'nd core. This is normal with allot of current software. On the bright side the extra core is free to keep windows and other stuff humming along.
a c 140 à CPUs
a b å Intel
July 11, 2007 2:39:27 PM

spawn_eternal said:
The selector should definitely work. I tried it on another Core 2 Duo based PC at work and one is able to select the different cores with CPU-Z.

Maybe it was an old cpu-z? those used to see dual core as dual cpu.
July 11, 2007 2:43:42 PM

Yep.. pretty much have the same deal, the selector is grayed out for E4300.

Perhaps he was running a lower version. When I looked at my caps, it was grayed out for 1.39, and 1.40 version.
July 11, 2007 2:45:58 PM

Nothing is wrong with your cores. Unless the programs you are using are multi threaded, that is written in such a way as to make use of multiple cores simultaniously, you will always see one core loaded while the other is at or just above idle.

At this time, there are few programs that are multithreaded, so what you are seeing is normal.
July 11, 2007 2:47:27 PM

I can not change cores on my cpu-z iether, with a q6600.

your fine.
July 11, 2007 2:52:31 PM

Yup, like most everyone mentioned, you are using an older version of CPU-Z. I think from 1.38 and higher, the CPU Selection has been greyed out for dual core CPUs. It will be selectable for dual CPU setups, I assume (I don't have one, so I am not sure about that).

As for apps, I think turpit said it best. It depends on the program, and whether it is written to take advantage of multi-cores. Some might, some won't. I think S.T.A.L.K.E.R. might use both cores, but again, not 100% on that. I do know that Supreme Commander does.
July 11, 2007 3:07:10 PM

Quote:
Dual Core and Performance
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl should utilize your dual and quad core processor natively and automatically. Running a dual or quad core processor is one of the best ways to improve performance.

source:http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/stalker_cpu_performance/

Since I could not edit my previous post, I found this little tidbit.
July 11, 2007 3:25:46 PM

Looking at that article, it doesnt really look like stalker is multithreaded

(images from Firingsquad)

but clearly makes use of higher clocks for given GPUs

July 12, 2007 5:58:29 AM

I contacted people at CPU-Z, and was told that the new version of CPU-Z only enables you to select multiple CPUs, and no longer individual cores. But why would a game so current like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. not utilize more than one core? Its so stupid. I mean, dual core CPUs have been around for around two years or so.
July 12, 2007 6:30:50 AM

actually of all the games released this year, there are only a few that can actually take advantage of multiple threads and its harder to code for. dual core cpus may have been around for awhile but have not hit mainstream till recently when the price war dropped dual core into mainstream (ultra cheap) price segments. believe it or not but a x2 3800 this time last year was 300 some odd dollars.
!