Q6600, First built, need some suggestions

dldude

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
Hey guys. I know you read tons and tons of these kinds of threads, especially now with the pricedrops fast approaching so I want to thank you in advance for any help you can provide me. :hello:

Alright, this is my first actual build, but I have swapped parts and I know my way around computers. I have also read most of the tutorials here on TomsHardware for building PCs, and overclocking your Q6600. So, that aside, here is what I'm looking at:

Q6600 2.4GHZ (probably overclocked eventually)
GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX *
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) **
320 SATA 7200rpm SATA Seagate
Geforce 7900GS 256MB
COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower
HIPER HPU-4K530-MS ATX12V v2.2 530W Power Supply 100
SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW (SATA)
ZALMAN CNPS7700-ALCU 120mm 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118114 )
ViewSonic Optiquest Series Q20WB Black 20" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor***

The total comes to about $1200 after the price drop.

My first point is... THIS IS NOT A GAMING RIG!!! I know alot of you guys are probably saying "whoaaaa, 8800GTS duhhhhh", but I'll be using 3D Studio Max R7 a ton and it has problems with all 8xxx series video cards. I will be fine with the 7900 and everyone who uses it with 3DS has had no problems.. soo.. moving on:

* This is sort of a stretch for me. I do plan on OCing the Q6600, but probably no further than 3.0GHZ. Should I get this Mobo, or go with the lesser $130 version? I hear gigabyte is good for new OCers, so I think that'll be a good brand for me. Also, I keep hearing about this new 45nm technology coming out. Will this mobo support that if I decide to upgrade in a few years?

**RAM is a problem for me. I HAVE to have 2GB, but I might consider bumping up to 4GB within the next year. I read somewhere that 4GB of standard RAM is better than 2GB of good RAM so I think I want to stick to the cheaper stuff. Is this RAM decent? Will it interfere with my overclocking attempts?

***Monitors are another source of issues for me. I'm not sure if I want 1 20" widescreen, 2 19" standards, or 2 17" standards. Again, this isnt for gaming, so i'm thinking dual monitors could be a good idea. I've heard good things about Viewsonic, and I've also heard good things about Dell. Dell is more expensive so I'd like to stay under $200 per monitor.

I also have a couple questions about NewEgg. I see alot of the parts have discounts now and then. The 7900 is $125 right now ($20 off). Do these deals usually stay around for a while or should I jump on them now? Also, how easy are the rebates to do? I've never dealt with computer rebates.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Also, I will be using XP Pro, and possibly XP Pro64 if I can get it

do_it_anyway

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
I like everything you have down there - except the powersupply.
I have a Hiper 580w type R PSU and I am already regretting not going for anything with more oomph. Especially on the 12v rails. If you fancy overdclocking later then I would get a better PSU.

I use that RAM and I really like it. I know nothing of the RAM requirements for a quad core PC. For a dual core it shouldn't interfere with an overclock unless you take the FSB to over 333MHz which would be 3.0GHz (I think) so providing you are not taking it beyond that your memory choice will be fine. (IF it works in the same way as a dual core)

Go with the best Mobo you can. I went for an MSI one whiich was recommended as being full on features but low on price, and now I come to Overclock my options are limited. Wish I went for a gigabyte.

dldude

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
Ive been talking to other non-gaming buddies and they have been saying a power supply doesn't need to be more than 450w. I can see maybe if you're running an 8800 for 5hrs playing a graphically intense game then maybe you need the power, but for what I do, which is largely tame graphic in 3D studio Max, I dont think I need the power. Overclocking the CPU doesnt require a ton more power. I really am trying to avoid the $150 power supply because I honestly dont think I'll need it.

Can you suggest a PSU under say... $70 that you think is good enough?

do_it_anyway

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
I am not an expert in PSU's. If I was I probably would have got more than the 580w Type R.

Anyway, my belief is that, while overclocking your cpu does not require much more power, it does require stability. Lots of stability.
And the better the powersupply, the more stable the power.
Kinda like stereo's. A $1000 system turned to1/4 volume, will have less distortion than a $100 system turned up all the way.
Having said that, the Hiper PSU's are not bad and it will possibly be fine.
There is a PSU list in a thread on here, I'll post the link if i can find it. Should give you some clues on good value PSU's.
(I live in UK, so don't know of US$ prices)