This is my first build HELP!!!!

derrickskip

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
Hi everyone i'm having a problem installing windows vista i get to the point where it is completeing installation and then boots to the hdd but when it does that (automatically) nothing shows up but when in safe mode (where i can't complete the installation) i see the error screen that said i need to start in windows normally. Someone please help information of this pc is on my sig and i orderd my hd's oem so i dont think they include jumpers just incase that matters at all

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try it initially with just 1 stick of Ram. I had this happen a couple of months ago with 2 sticks mounted. One stick was not functioning properly and I had to RMA it. When I got just the one good stick in it loaded fine. The bad stick actually ran in my back-up PC although produced nuisance errors. It drove me nuts for two days.

derrickskip

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
i tried that. nothing seemed to change. it still didnt work, and my hardrives can't have both failed (2 x 2500ks caviler wd) and microsoft support can't help me

GenericName

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2007
Vista wouldn't install for me either with 4 gigs or ram installed. I am using the P5n32-e SLI Asus board. I guess post what board your using and people might be able to help you out a little better.

If you by chance happen to be using that board the get the latest BIOS that is the BETA one and now mine runs all 4 gigs - Vista 64 installed runs like champ.

Also perhaps your RAM isn't compatible or something - some boards such as my P5N32-e are very picky even if its 800 DDR2 800MHZ

Solariscs

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
When you say nothing happens, do you mean there is just a black screen after it restarts? Have you tried waiting for like 10 minutes? Because vista has to keep installing some programs for a little while before it can completely load. I know I waited for around 10-15 minutes one time before it finally competed.